Messing up reviews

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: QRS, Raymond, eTux, EssGee

Post Reply
TombTitan
Member
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 07:11

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by TombTitan » 09 Dec 2016 18:54

There is a new review by Gorty for The Temple of Isis by Shakira Croft. This review seems to be for the wrong level. It seems more appropriate to the Temple of Amen Ra by AgentXp. What is it Gorty?

User avatar
Ray Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Posts: 4995
Joined: 06 Mar 2013 08:42
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Ray Croft » 06 Jan 2017 17:51

Gorty's Reviews are weird. He said the texturing in my level was bad as well as the Gameplay (tell me, how is the scales puzzle or raising blocks with torches and pushables basic??)
He even complains about a Gameplay killer. Hes lying about that. The button can be pressed as many times as you want.
Maybe i need to work more on Lightning yes. That's where i need more practice. But definitely NOT gameplay.

Also, does the game really have to be HD or something? For it to offer something "new"..
I will keep making Classic style games because thats most fun for me and where i am best.

I usually don't complain about bad reviews as long as its correct whats written in the review. But in this Review it was just stupid.
Opinions?
Regards, Mert

User avatar
Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 8823
Joined: 17 Dec 2015 09:26
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Ryan » 06 Jan 2017 18:07

My two cents...
I'm not one to disrespect other people's opinions so neither will I do that here, but I did find Gorty's review for your level rather odd, Ray (as well as the one he did for Create a Classic: The Temple of Isis), especially considering that Val and Phil rated it much higher and their ratings are what I'd expect. From what I've seen on the Level info page (I haven't yet played the level), it doesn't look too bad (as you said, practice makes perfect) and doesn't deserve a 3, IMO.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I wanted to put my opinion forward. I hope it's helped you somewhat, Ray. :)
Image

User avatar
Ray Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Posts: 4995
Joined: 06 Mar 2013 08:42
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Ray Croft » 06 Jan 2017 18:22

Well.. After reading his other reviews i still can't figure out what exactly good gameplay is supposed to be (for him)...
I also think that Ceamonks890 was a bit too harsh w. his rating for Mbog's level. But thats different.

Anyway thanks for your Opinion Ryan :)
Regards, Mert

User avatar
Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 8823
Joined: 17 Dec 2015 09:26
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Ryan » 06 Jan 2017 18:27

No problem. And don't feel too upset... Reviewers are a hard bunch to please after all. :)
Image

User avatar
DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 6712
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 03:02

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by DJ Full » 06 Jan 2017 18:50

Ray Croft wrote:tell me, how is the scales puzzle or raising blocks with torches and pushables basic??
They are. But these are just tools, so it's not the point. Gameplay is not about objects used (it's what the objects category is for) but about how you're using them. If you want people to enjoy your scales and raising blocks, you must make them count: fit the plot, belong to the place, seem to have purpose - in any way, let them feel important. Otherwise they will just feel like a placeholder filler. I cannot go into details because I haven't played your game so I don't yet know what's wrong with it.
does the game really have to be HD or something? For it to offer something "new"..
No. There are levels which offer so much "new" you don't even care if they're HD or SD. The point in graphics is not resolution or density, but focus and consistency. You can have millions of polygons which feel like whatever, or few ones which make perfect sense.

So in fact, designing graphics and gameplay have a lot in common. Just make them count, throw out skippable things, and you're fine.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

User avatar
JoeTheCrazyGamer
Member
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: 07 May 2015 21:01
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 07 Jan 2017 00:36

Ray Croft wrote: I also think that Ceamonks890 was a bit too harsh w. his rating for Mbog's level. But thats different.
Well i just saw his review and he said my review was a wrong. I mean sure i don't care if people think im wrong (thats OK) but i dont think picking me out was that necessary, there are Reviews i see all the time that i don't necessarily agree (For certain HOF levels) with but i don't point out any Reviewer and tell them they are wrong.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

User avatar
Ceamonks890
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: 26 Sep 2012 21:25
Location: New Zealand

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Ceamonks890 » 07 Jan 2017 05:56

Hey, long time no post on this forum :hello:
Ray Croft wrote: I also think that Ceamonks890 was a bit too harsh w. his rating for Mbog's level. But thats different.
Perhaps I was, but if you ran into the amount of issues that I did, that tends to leave a significant impact on the final rating(which I connect across three significant factors in my more newer reviews):

Firstly, how fun was it to play?
Secondly, did the game immerse me into its world convincingly?
And finally, how stable was the overall experience?

Personally, I'm one of those who doesn't give a rats about scores too much and thinks the review itself is the more important thing. Do my reviews tend to get a tad too long-winded and brutal at times? Sure. But that's just the way I work, in terms of informing potential players of what they're about to download and to builders, about what they could improve upon :)
Crazyboy124 wrote: Well i just saw his review and he said my review was wrong. I mean sure i don't care if people think im wrong (thats OK) but i dont think picking me out was that necessary, there are Reviews i see all the time that i don't necessarily agree (For certain HOF levels) with but i don't point out any Reviewer and tell them they are wrong.
Of course we can agree to disagree. But I thought your review came off as blatantly dishonest, when in truth, there was a whole host of problems present(that would never allow MBog's current levelset to pass as what you claim a masterpiece or a classic of the ages).

The whole point of reviews from my perspective, is to again, inform potential players of what they're about to spend their money(or in this case internet data), on. Which you ultimately failed to provide by essentially saying, 'This game is absolutely perfect in every way aside from this negligible aspect. OK, thanks bye!'

Not only does that render your current critique about as useful as dust gathering around your possessions. But it also leaves false expectations on players assuming it to be the next Titak, Cowboy or Richard Lawther-quality levelset, only to be disappointed that they got something considerably worse than advertised. And that can make people not trust what you have to say in future.

So please, actually describe serious quirks or problems from here on out and think about how the game truly left you feeling in the end whilst finalizing your overall score. That way, you're a lot more helpful and informative to everyone on all sides ;)

I hope this post of mine helped to resolve confusion for both of you. Cheers :balloon:

Marksdad
Mod
Mod
Posts: 4790
Joined: 05 Oct 2001 16:38
Location: UK

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Marksdad » 07 Jan 2017 12:10

As regards MBogs level:
speaking as only the (so far) third reviewer,I found the two other reviews to be perhaps the most heavily contrasting of any single level in the entire Index.
One states that it's perhaps the greatest masterpiece ever built;the other,that it's almost unplayable.
This is why it's important for as many people to submit reviews to each level as possible; because when read as a whole,they collectively offer a range of comprehensive and well-rounded opinions. It's only after numerous reviews and ratings have been submitted that players and builders can get a reasonably accurate representation.

User avatar
JoeTheCrazyGamer
Member
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: 07 May 2015 21:01
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 07 Jan 2017 13:31

Ceamonks890 wrote:
So please, actually describe serious quirks or problems from here on out and think about how the game truly left you feeling in the end whilst finalizing your overall score. That way, you're a lot more helpful and informative to everyone on all sides ;)

I hope this post of mine helped to resolve confusion for both of you. Cheers :balloon:
If i notice bugs i point them out, if i dont i can't, since i didn't notice any major problems prior to writing my review i didn't know they were there, (I think i got lucky that i didn't run into any bugs.)


But like i said i dont mind if people think i got a review wrong (We dont have to have the same opinion) I guess some TRLE levels are like marmite (Some like them some don't like them).

I think its still an amazing game and if people dont agree it's fine by me , I accept that opinions aren't facts because what i think is true isn't always true for everyone If im the only one who thinks its a good game then im fine with it.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

User avatar
Ray Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Posts: 4995
Joined: 06 Mar 2013 08:42
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Ray Croft » 08 Jan 2017 09:42

Like you said Crazyboy. I get that not everyone can like a level but this for example is too much:

I read Gorty's review of Search for the Sun Seraph and he says: The overall design of the game is great, but I have to say that there were enormous many texture errors everywhere, so the texturing seemed done without much care or in a rush"
Seriously, it's like a reviewer can say whatever he wants, well of course he/she can but lies too?

Anyone who has played that game knows that there are literally almost no texturing errors. Pff, he says that about almost every level.
Lol, i'd love to see him make a level and then say the whole game is horrible, buggy, there is nothing new in it and see his reaction.
Regards, Mert

User avatar
Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 8977
Joined: 21 May 2003 03:26
Location: Portugal (Porto area)

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Jan 2017 09:54

Speaking of which (odd reviews or bits of them), I was just reading Alien Autopsy's words about Another Present and she complains about "Lara's model" (complaining it doesn't have the feel of the original TR) and, mostly, "Other reason for lower rating was some (thankfully- rare) creepy models that didn't fit in a level that is so amazingly created and full of pretty models. For example... the woman in the shop, with a cigarette in her mouth. I mean, I found it funny, but at the same time it left a bad aftertaste."
I mean, how subjective can you get? What does it even have to do with "gameplay and puzzles"?

____________________________________________________________________

About the texturing and all that, it's true that some (thankfully not many) reviews reflect a purely technical analysis of games. The pixels are 2.9 and should be 3.0 or at least 2.8, that kind of thing.
Really? And who the hell cares? Does it look good, does it play good? Then who cares? Are we managing some kind of professional line of products here? It's ok to mention (and I do it too sometimes) but it seems definitely misplaced to judge a game by the bloody pixels.

_____________________________________________________________________

But it's like that with reviews, I guess. Imagine you're going to look up some place for a holiday on Tripadvisor, for instance. Somebody will tell you you can never get out because of the storms and somebody else will say the weather there is just sunny and lovely. Someone will complain it was the worst service in the entire world while someone else will guarantee it's the best. And so forth. I know this for a fact. Sure, it could be the competition at times... But when I get to those places I'm usually left with a feeling of "were they actually talking about the same place"?

I suppose the problem with so many reviewers, even professionals or quite often mean professionals, is they don't know or don't care to know that to review is to analyse, not necessarily to criticize. And hopefully not to lie because other people will read them. Why do so many people dislike critics?
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

User avatar
DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 6712
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 03:02

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jan 2017 15:27

Jorge22 wrote:"Other reason for lower rating was some (thankfully- rare) creepy models that didn't fit in a level that is so amazingly created and full of pretty models. For example... the woman in the shop, with a cigarette in her mouth. I mean, I found it funny, but at the same time it left a bad aftertaste."
Sounds like someone doesn't get a joke. That cardboard model was the best part of the whole Christmas, it's the very point to contrast with highly detailed environment. I even tried to light that cigarette with a torch because I noticed it's not burning, I wish it was the real part of gameplay :D
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

User avatar
mugs
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13728
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 02:49
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by mugs » 10 Jan 2017 16:26

^ DJ, you just crack me up! I thought that bit was hilarious too!
Of doggie candle fame!

User avatar
vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 10689
Joined: 15 Mar 2002 15:10
Location: denmark

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by vimmers » 10 Jan 2017 18:16

DJ Full wrote:Sounds like someone doesn't get a joke. That cardboard model was the best part of the whole Christmas, it's the very point to contrast with highly detailed environment. I even tried to light that cigarette with a torch because I noticed it's not burning, I wish it was the real part of gameplay :D
aha maybe a new puzzle item :D
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests