Messing up reviews

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

Lara_Fox_Croft

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 18 Dec 2017 01:18

DJ Full wrote:
18 Dec 2017 00:44

Only a little disclaimer: all I said to you, applies to MpGrill as well. So he might now feel like if I defended him, but who knows, maybe when I play and rate the Cottage I will get one more enemy...
I seriously doubt about this ^^ but like you said "who knows?"

About what you said, I'm already in contact with MpGrill_trle, I could (certainly will) change my review, because I was very hard, because really mad at this level when I finished it, so yes I will think about it. Even if I look like haughty and stubborn I use to think things twice.

About your review, for The Great wall remake, I don't really care about the rating, and your entire review was more than acceptable, but this sentence is what I would call " a murderous remark", thinking about players is kind but we should remember something, we all should remember this: no players without builders, no reviewers without builders, no trle.net without builders. But yes there are a lot of bad trle levels, but a lot of quite good levels too.

IMO people rated The great wall quite nicely because I took every remarks from the Demo reviews to improve the level, because I took it as a way to improve, not like some nasty remarks.
But years after the release I don't really care about the rate of this level, but when I see that someone put something like what you said, I feel like "what the hell? Why is he so rude?" I guess MpGrill_trle took my review the same way, but I was not that violent in my words, yes the rate is very high, but I'm not nasty with my words I think, or this is a problem of language, I don't really meant it.

I can tell you here guys, I will certainly change the review if the builder is capable of understand some of my points, that we started to speak in private. Plus like everyone see MpGrill_trle like a victim, and me like his attacker I'm pretty sure that people will over rated his level to "save him", maybe I should wait a bit before to change my rating, it would be a bonus for him. :) :angel:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Dec 2017 04:48

Lara_Fox_Croft wrote:
18 Dec 2017 01:18
About your review, for The Great wall remake, I don't really care about the rating, and your entire review was more than acceptable, but this sentence is what I would call " a murderous remark"
Maybe I just had a bad day. I can make mistakes like anybody in the world. Normally I think a lot before I rate something, sometimes it takes me hours to rate a level, and it took me a week before I rated Kojada, because it's very simple: the more I see a builder cared, the more I care. But I'm not totally satisfied with what I wrote. Sometimes I consider deleting all 1000 reviews I made. It's been two years since I reviewed Mike's "Arcadian Dream". I remember I hesitated between 7 and 8 for gameplay. Eventually I gave 8, it was actually the polygonal hint for the waterskin which made me decide this, it felt like the level deserved it. But then it was this small difference what pushed "Stairway to Hell" off the podium even though I liked it more. So I'm wondering for 2 years if I made the right choice... Same as when I rated Agent's classic level and gave 8 instead of 9 for graphics, I never found the answer if this was fair or not. But since I don't know that and can't change the review (yet?), I fixed a lot of glitches in her newest release instead.

I think there is no other solution than to allow people make mistakes and accept our own ones for we can't escape both.
thinking about players is kind but we should remember something, we all should remember this: no players without builders, no reviewers without builders, no trle.net without builders.
I'm completely different. I never made anything for myself, everything I made was a gift for someone. Probably except from TR Transplantation but I wasn't ready for people back then. A part of me still isn't. I completely eradicated my pride, even now I care about levels of other people more than about mine.
everyone see MpGrill_trle like a victim, and me like his attacker I'm pretty sure that people will over rated his level to "save him"
I can ensure you I will still rate it according to my normal rules. Somewhere between 0 and 10.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

MpGrill_trle

Post by MpGrill_trle » 18 Dec 2017 08:04

Lara_Fox_Croft wrote:
18 Dec 2017 01:18

I can tell you here guys, I will certainly change the review if the builder is capable of understand some of my points, that we started to speak in private. Plus like everyone see MpGrill_trle like a victim, and me like his attacker I'm pretty sure that people will over rated his level to "save him", maybe I should wait a bit before to change my rating, it would be a bonus for him. :) :angel:
Usually I think its the other way, when bad ratings come in, players feel more free to give lower ratings beacuse ˝somebody else did it˝.
We are having our private conversation, no need for this anymore and no need for you labeling me as a Victim.
I will respond to you when Im done writing ( takes some time ). Please give me at least few hours. Its a long messages we are sending.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Dec 2017 09:39

Just a remark: I seriously doubt that notion that most of us overrated The Cottage to save anyone from anything. I know I haven't. I must have been one of the first to review and I stand by everything I said. In fact, I wouldn't even have given all of this much thought if it hadn't been for this entire debate. So you see: opinions do vary a lot.
"I waved to my neighbour/My neighbour waved to me/But my neighbour/Is my enemy/I kept waving my arms/Till I could not see/Under fifteen feet of pure white snow"

Lara_Fox_Croft

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 20 Dec 2017 12:37

hi,

Just wanted to say that I just send a message to MichaelP, I ask him to change my rating, and I did ask the same thing for some other levels that I reviewed quite recently and clearly too hardly, I made a mistake by being too demanding.

I also wanted to rate/review last Pedro the Gamer's level, but I could be way too mean/hard

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Dec 2017 19:25

Taking into account what it stands for, please be our guest and go ahead.
"I waved to my neighbour/My neighbour waved to me/But my neighbour/Is my enemy/I kept waving my arms/Till I could not see/Under fifteen feet of pure white snow"

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 27 Dec 2017 18:02

A 6 in gameplay? Really? Pfffff................ How would some reviewers rate so-called professional games that take years to develop and end up full of bugs and glitches besides a customary lack of originality?

I mean, a 6 out of a max of 10 means the game is just slightly above mediocrity.

And I guess nobody will listen but I wish some reviewers really stopped nit-picking as that will never ever add anything even marginally visible to a builder's work as enjoyed by the vast majority of players. It's the same kind of attitude that turned most music into perfectly automatic plastic that could be made by anyone with the basic knowledge and a nice studio. Impressive soulless garbage.

There's a lot more to any art form than simply placing everything mathematically in line. This isn't paperwork.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 28 Dec 2017 12:34

Jorge22 wrote:
27 Dec 2017 18:02
It's the same kind of attitude that turned most music into perfectly automatic plastic that could be made by anyone with the basic knowledge and a nice studio. Impressive soulless garbage.
I couldn't agree more. I may be an old fuddy-duddy, but I can think of only a handful of popular tunes released since the early '70s that are truly memorable. But then, I haven't listened to contemporary radio for many years, so if some other fuddy-duddy out there could compile a short list of "The Best Pop Tunes of the Past Forty Years" (and place it in the appropriate forum), you'd be doing me a huge favor.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Dec 2017 12:57

I can certainly give you a collection of many really important things that have been made since the seventies - and I will and many will be missing from the to-listen-to list. Just not now, not immediately because I'm short of time. But I will. As soon as I can. I just have to start typing.

What I'm referring to is a certain trend, like producers "all" coming out of the same bloody school and paying more attention to certain studio things (not necessarily that creative) than to what really should matter in art.
Ok, I'm not expecting everyone who makes "art" to actually be an artist. But I'm speaking of the damage done by industry, corporations, a pop view of the world... Like Hollywood directors that are really just employees.
I'm not even saying it's a total novelty. It's just far more acute because the world has been moving in that direction. Because capitalism can be great and capitalism can be the devil.
That doesn't account for the entire universe, of course. :)

As a matter of fact, I was referring to a certain review and a certain trending in reviews. But there's definitely a connection although none of us is "the industry".
Last edited by Jorge22 on 29 Dec 2017 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 28 Dec 2017 20:08

OK, can we go back to what this thread is for?

Marksdad pointed out to me that the review of mine for ReHome - First level demo is a wrong one. No young Lara in it (oops) :D
Michael, can you remove it so I can send the one I just made after playing it (again?)?
Oops, I did it again... Image

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Dec 2017 21:19

Just a remark: we didn't really go off-topic. If needed I can tell which review I was speaking of. But that applies to other reviews as well.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 28 Dec 2017 22:13

No, you didn’t. Yes, you can. Yes, it does. Now shut it, will ya.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Dec 2017 01:05

You don't deserve an actual answer. ;)

Also because you really seem to be unable to understand or interact in a free, civilized manner.
So, I'll give you an answer in your own style, after all. Go hide in the dark lair where you've been hiding most of the time and let grown-ups dialogue like grown-ups.
Will 'ya' ('ya' like some phoney 'gangsta')?
Last edited by Jorge22 on 29 Dec 2017 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 29 Dec 2017 01:13

I played this game right now.
I'm nagging the builders to bin that steam run for the 3rd apple, it really makes no sense in a level as wonderful as this.
The 2nd version already deserves 9.25(+) and this is what I'm gonna give since I always adapt my ratings to fixes applied.
Just letting you know any reviewer has the right to update the review, as much as the builders can update the games.
Other than that, what can I do...

Also, I played "The Cottage".
Those traps are simply wonderful. I cleared them after 3-5 times only by bothering to examine them in advance.
It's a world of difference between this thoughtful trap design and pure luck-involving sequences it was mistaken for.
I surely cannot force players to understand a level. But to understand how the Look button works, I would try...
This game is worth at least 9.25 also.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 29 Dec 2017 17:52

Gerty wrote:
28 Dec 2017 20:08
Marksdad pointed out to me that the review of mine for ReHome - First level demo is a wrong one. No young Lara in it (oops) :D
Michael, can you remove it so I can send the one I just made after playing it (again?)?

Sure can - and done now...