Messing up reviews

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: QRS, Raymond, eTux, EssGee

Post Reply
User avatar
DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 6608
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 03:02

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by DJ Full » 14 Aug 2015 16:59

But my review also mentioned this problem, so I feel related. (I didn't read the other reviews yet, I usually don't until I finish mine :) )

User avatar
Tolle87
Member
Member
Posts: 552
Joined: 12 Oct 2012 10:31
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Tolle87 » 30 Aug 2015 22:36

Jay wrote:Is it valid to review a 2001 level through 2015 eyes? Tricky old business, isn't it. :D

That's interesting subject.

I have read some interviews where the builder was criticised for using old themes and textures.For me, it's wrong approach.You should review levels based on texture usage, instead of quality of texture set itself.Same goes for the objects.

It's not really that hard, geometry is geometry, good texturing is good texturing.I'm aware though that there are many people who don't share that opinion, but I guess that's what forums are for :)
Hallowed Be Thy Game
Image

User avatar
Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Posts: 2138
Joined: 31 Oct 2009 20:03
Location: Niš, Serbia
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Nina Croft » 02 Sep 2015 15:28

OverRaider wrote:some inconveniences which are occuring here and there in reviews:

1. Friendship - it is well-known that friends are mostly praising each other with high marks in their reviews while other reviewers not really. Well if you allow me to say something about it I have a few words for that. So yes friendship is of course a very important and magical thing which is nowadays let`s say rather rare, but is it really a good friendship when one is not really telling the truth? Or is it just a coincidence that exactly that person loves and thinks that his friend`s level belongs to one of the best levels of the trle world? I am sorry but I have little doubts about that. Again this is not an offence to anyone, but please make a little step into your conscience and ask yourself: is this really so, how much I respect Tomb Raider?
All, or almost all people around here know that Milan Penčić Lima is an old and dear friend of mine. What do you think? Was I too "nice" in my reviews of Dark City Part 1 or Underwater mine?

Already in advance I have to announce that I am going to give four tens in my review of Dark City Part 2. But not because Lima is my friend, but because I know what he's been preparing for us.

But I see your point and I agree with you 100%. That is exactly the reason why I decided to test Dark City Part 2 and to make a loooooong list of all errors and mistakes and issues which could be improved. Exactly because Lima is my friend, I am obliged to tell him the truth: This is not good, please change it; here you should add a music theme; this corridor is too long, spice it up with an enemy or trap; this here will make the players furious, etc. A true friend is there to point out all the mistakes one makes, in order to help his/her friend reaching his/her maximum and fixing all the errors before the entire world can see them.

:angel:
Image

Anything you can buy with money is cheap (Remarque)...

User avatar
DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 6608
Joined: 02 Nov 2010 03:02

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by DJ Full » 02 Sep 2015 16:23

Nina Croft wrote:I have to announce that I am going to give four tens in my review of Dark City Part 2. But not because Lima is my friend, but because I know what he's been preparing for us.
It's hard NOT to give four tens for something like this, but as long as I didn't even see the ending of the game, I will refrain from announcing any scores I may give :)
Tolle87 wrote:
Jay wrote:Is it valid to review a 2001 level through 2015 eyes? Tricky old business, isn't it.
I have read some interviews where the builder was criticised for using old themes and textures. For me, it's wrong approach.
That's why it's good to play everything no matter of age and rating. Knowing the classics as well as next generation marvels and some totally bad levels while keeping an imaginary perfect game in your mind helps learn the difference between resources and their usage, and when you can tell one from another, you have everything it needs to develop a good scale of rating.

User avatar
Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Posts: 2138
Joined: 31 Oct 2009 20:03
Location: Niš, Serbia
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Nina Croft » 02 Sep 2015 16:38

Sure it is a wrong approach. Right now, I can remember Mytly's Egyptian level, created using standard TR4 objects and textures. It is also not so old, Mytly could have used many new objects and textures, but she didn't. And nonetheless, she still made a great level and this level is in the Hall of Fame. It is not necessary for a builder to create new objects and textures in order to create a great level. There are many levels out there which use new objects and textures, and still cannot compare with e.g. Mytly's Egyptian level in terms of gameplay.
Image

Anything you can buy with money is cheap (Remarque)...

User avatar
JoeTheCrazyGamer
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: 07 May 2015 21:01
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 22 Feb 2016 14:04

MichaelP wrote: Instead, the better and likely more "successful" process is:
...
4. You PM the reviewer and engage into a dialogue as to why the scores and/or review comments are what they are and either agree on a change or agree to disagree - but at least get a better understanding of each others opinion.
How do we change our reviews, if someone PM's us or Contacts us in any way, Someone has contacted me, I'm still discussing this with them, (So i may not change it). Something else i have noticed is some of my reviews had alot more writing than i had put down. (I think it was my old phone playing up, Only the first sentance is shown, this isnt all of them but coastal Run and Techno Egyptains portal were 2 of the ones.) I have forgotten what I said because it was a while ago now but i just wanted to ask just in case it happens again. Should i PM michael (or one of the admin).
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life.", '

User avatar
mugs
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13681
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 02:49
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by mugs » 22 Feb 2016 15:12

Michael handles reviews.
Of doggie candle fame!

User avatar
OverRaider
Member
Member
Posts: 724
Joined: 05 Dec 2012 20:35

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by OverRaider » 24 Feb 2016 11:38

Hey, not that I am in for complaining about reviewers, but sorry if I must open my mouth for this case... but I find Crazyboy`s reviews anadequate and unreasonable of using words in contexts if we take in mind his native language is english (as is stated in his profile location UK) as well as meaningless in terms of scoring, to me seeming like lacking of general knowledge of what TR`s aspects are about... :?

Wreck of the Blue Storm 8/7/7/9
Beyond the Scion 8/9/7/8
Late Summer 6/7/6/5

now seriously, really???? :-o

For me seems like a child not knowing what to do in their life or maybe a "hidden" spammer?!
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Image

User avatar
MMAN
Member
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: 07 Dec 2006 00:46

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by MMAN » 24 Feb 2016 13:56

I do find the Beyond the Scion review strange because it talks almost solely about the remake of Anniversary Atlantis and then ends with "oh yeah there was some other stuff too", even though the Atlantis re(de?)make is only a small part of the set.

User avatar
manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 9019
Joined: 23 Aug 2010 16:29
Location: Germany

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by manarch2 » 24 Feb 2016 14:45

The problem I see is that there is no explanation of any rating which indeed makes it feel pretty random (e.g. there is no single critisism in his Blue Storm review and he claims Catacomb Towers to be one of the best TRLE levels but he rates both with an average of 7,75). Also, the things he mentions are at times fairly ... far-fetched ... (the necessity to solve a puzzle in the internet is the only reason to downgrade Mists of Avalon, also in two other categories?). He is entitled to his (IMO still odd) scores but they more than often don't seem to make sense in comparison with what he writes.
Image

User avatar
Alex Chap
Member
Member
Posts: 558
Joined: 22 Apr 2014 08:55
Location: France, Oise

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by Alex Chap » 24 Feb 2016 15:02

Some of his reviews seems a bit too short for long games ...
I know that CrazyBoy acts strange sometimes, one time he asked where he could find information about BTB2015 in the Chat Forum by posting a new subject, then there was the topic about BTB in the posts-it. Also, he seems to don't listen what people said in a general discussion and repeat things already said.

This aside, it just may be his personality, or because he is a little ... Head in the clouds.
I must admit that the points given to the levels he noted doesn't make sense because of his poor arguments. That said, I've seen reviews that favorised texturing in a level beyond everything else in the arguments, without giving a good score compared to the other categories.

User avatar
MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter
Posts: 10284
Joined: 23 Aug 2001 12:52
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by MichaelP » 24 Feb 2016 15:51

My, my - we are being a bit quick in judging people again, aren't we?

According to his profile Crazyboy is 18 y.o., so for some around here that probably still falls into the category of "being a kid", but technically he is an adult... ;)

And from the post above it seems he has already received some feedback from a builder about a review (and I can even guess who that builder might be :) ), so that is a good and relevant - and indeed private! - discussion there...

I would actually have no issue with the scoring that OverRaider is quoting above per se, BUT indeed, it is a bit of a shift vs previous review scoring habits - which can happen of course as people change their viewpoints over time. Will keep an eye on it...

As for the point made about scoring seeming "a bit random" vs the comments. Yes, maybe, but in all honesty - I find that to be true also for many reviews by the people who are so quickly getting excited about other people's reviews... :D - so relax and let the meaningful exchange between reviewer and builder take ist course where needed...

And after all - probably best if Crazyboy can share his position here himself a bit vs all of us talking about him in the first place... :D
Image

User avatar
OverRaider
Member
Member
Posts: 724
Joined: 05 Dec 2012 20:35

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by OverRaider » 24 Feb 2016 19:28

MichaelP wrote:My, my - we are being a bit quick in judging people again, aren't we?
From my point of view the word "judging" isn`t the best word which describes our reaction... Let`s say it`s rather our quick reaction to protect/defend our values :wink:

Of course, we are more than happy to hear explanation from him and we will be all ears... but I (as well as few more people who agree with me) think he is just not taking the reviewing seriously, so it should be a good lesson for him to think about it and taking reviewing seriously as an adult human since he is 18 years old
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Image

User avatar
JoeTheCrazyGamer
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: 07 May 2015 21:01
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 24 Feb 2016 21:14

I did not review Beyond The Scion (Ive played it but that review did not come from me).

In terms of Randoms scoring, I dont check other reviews before reviewing (So they may be different). *I see reviews I think are harsh namely Centre of the world, I cant see how people gave less than 10 in texutres (One of the best textured games ive seen) * For all TRLE i rate 7+ its a good TRLE.


Also ive noticed there is alot of my review text missing which was my orignial point and if it wasn't missing my reviews would make more sence. (I dont know its because im using a phone or something) but in my mists of avalon review there were more reasons for downgrading like the whole gym thing seems so Mundane (and i did put that in my review too).

And you say im not taking reviewing seriously look at all people with over 100 reviews yet there average score is above 9. (Some TRLEs are better than other yet we see alot of reviewers with above 9 average). In other words, "If every trle had a good score then what would a good score mean?" < Think about that.
Last edited by JoeTheCrazyGamer on 28 Feb 2016 18:01, edited 4 times in total.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life.", '

User avatar
MMAN
Member
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: 07 Dec 2006 00:46

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by MMAN » 25 Feb 2016 18:50

Crazyboy124 wrote:Also ive noticed there is alot of my review text missing (I dont know its because im using a phone or something) but in my mists of avalon review there were more reasons for downgrading like the whole gym thing seems so Mundane (and i did put that in my review too).
Oh the reviews got cut off? I guess that explains what I said about then.

Edit: Oh wait it wasn't your review, so I guess that explains it even more.
Last edited by MMAN on 27 Feb 2016 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest