Messing up reviews

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jan 2017 19:12

Obviously not everyone's aware this carton shopkeeper is Masha herself.
Now I cannot help picturing the whole team as cardboard characters :)

The "bad texturing in Seraph" may be Gorty felt it odd, couldn't find why and said it short.
For me the "wrong" thing is the fog and the dominant color scheme. Technically flawless, BUT...
You remember this issue from multiple good levels like Forgotten Scribe or Blue Storm.
They're all missing that one little step further to break the pattern. Examples of how to do it:
- Himalayan Mysteries: the huts give rest from surrounding snow, plasma from frozen rocks
- Quest of Gold: Rivers of lava flow through a frozen city, which would be totally blue otherwise
- Jungle ruins: color accents (bacteria?) and islands of sunlight disrupt overwhelming greenery
- Tibetan Winter: stray pieces of architecture to hang an eye on divide the rocky chunks.
Of course it's a different skill to make such transitions without slapping a player in the face :)

That's exactly my difference between 9 and 10.

...but still, I gave 9 not 7 :-P
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Alien Autopsy

Post by Alien Autopsy » 11 Jan 2017 01:35

Jorge22 wrote: I mean, how subjective can you get? What does it even have to do with "gameplay and puzzles"?
I just found the model weird (the presence of cigarette), that's all. Choking with a smoke of cigarette is not the best picture of Christmas for me, that's all. That is my subjective taste. That is my personal feeling. Am I supposed to lie, because I will dissapoint somebody? Only after I while I realised it's a model of an author - thanks to your ironical posts and them only - and I feel sorry if I hurt her feelings. I am considering writing her a message about it. On the other hand, I wish somebody would message me privately instead of dragging this on the forum for everyone to see, not very nice... If not the fact that I decided to check this part of forum I would never have known that I possibly hurt one of the authors... If you would really care about how the author of the level feels, you would write to me personally and tell me I just wrote something bad about - not a model - but a real person, without knowing it.... Honestly, I feel so crappy now that I consider deleting my account and asking admin to delete all of my reviews... I guess you might be proud of yourself now, feeling better? You see, it's nice to say that other people who "criticise" are bad, which is criticising them (ironically). Doesn't that mean that critique is needed after all?

Jorge22 wrote:
About the texturing and all that, it's true that some (thankfully not many) reviews reflect a purely technical analysis of games. The pixels are 2.9 and should be 3.0 or at least 2.8, that kind of thing.
Really? And who the hell cares? Does it look good, does it play good? Then who cares? Are we managing some kind of professional line of products here? It's ok to mention (and I do it too sometimes) but it seems definitely misplaced to judge a game by the bloody pixels.
I don't know if that was directed at me or if I am reading it wrong, but - perhaps, a reviewer cares? You do realise some people are actually thankful for being criticised, because they seek to improve? When I drew a picture at school, I asked my art teacher: what can I change to improve? Somebody walked in and said my colour choice is not the best in his opinion. And I was glad, because I looked for a reason to try something new, but couldn't see it until people pointed it out. How was I supposed to know? I never expected that, I am used to NPCs in games being just NPCs. In many of my reviews I said many times: the level was amazing, author did awesome work, but I would change this, and this, and this - just for the sake of sharing my views. I respect the amount of time and work everyone puts into level creating. I don't understand how you could find that a problem... And I think your post was mean overall...

[/quote]
I suppose the problem with so many reviewers, even professionals or quite often mean professionals, is they don't know or don't care to know that to review is to analyse, not necessarily to criticize. And hopefully not to lie because other people will read them. Why do so many people dislike critics?[/quote]

You post level on the site that is made for the reviews/hosting et cetera. People are gonna find it different than you would expect. That's life. You might find said level perfection, but other person will not. Is that person supposed to lie and write this was the best level in the universe? And even, on top of my critique of that christmas level, I wrote MANY, many good things and I pointed out how much I adore the level. Why would you mind if I was honest and tried to share my view, which is clearly different than yours? There are gonna be people who have different view. Always.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 11 Jan 2017 03:14

I didn't mention masha in order to speak against you, but to explain the background, also to other people who may be unaware of it, because knowing it simply makes the joke funnier. And don't worry, you didn't insult her: if she was sensitive about such things she wouldn't have used her character in the first place.
I wish somebody would message me privately instead of dragging this on the forum for everyone to see, not very nice... I feel so crappy now that I consider deleting my account and asking admin to delete all of my reviews... I guess you might be proud of yourself now, feeling better?
The point of this section isn't to make anyone feel better. And it's not "everyone" but few people who care, you included (you say "if I didn't check", but you did). Any of us can be wrong, so opening to discussion instead of writing PMs is the fastest way to learn for us all - reviewers but also counter-reviewers, whose posts also make their authors think. Not looking too far, I wrote better stuff in my recent post about the Sun Seraph than I did in the actual review, and somehow these things didn't cross my mind back then. I think I should add them to the actual review.
I suppose the problem with so many reviewers, even professionals or quite often mean professionals, is they don't know or don't care to know that to review is to analyse, not necessarily to criticize.
I told you what my problem is. I have very limited time, and while praise can be skipped, critique can't, because invert that and devolution is instant.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Jan 2017 14:33

You don't have to feel bad about anything, this is the reviews forum. So, I'm actually sorry I hurt your feelings but I still don't agree with the things you said.

Anyway, don't feel bad about it. Just keep writing your reviews the way you see fit, just don't expect me to necessarily agree. But don't feel bad about it, this is only the web. I've been criticized too, for this or for that, whatever, and I don't hold any grudges. It's ok. We're sort of a family here. So welcome (I'm not being ironical). :)

EDIT: Btw, I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned the pixels thing. That was a general statement.

EDIT2: @DJ - Yeah, but I wasn't speaking about you either. Really just general. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 17 Jan 2017 00:30

Jorge wrote:I wasn't speaking about you either.
I didn't think you were.
DJ Full wrote:
Ray Croft wrote:Gorty's Reviews are weird. Opinions?
I cannot go into details because I haven't played your game
Riiiight... I did, so now I can.
how is the scales puzzle or raising blocks with torches and pushables basic??
I compared that text to your game, and I think "basic" translates to "boring". You see - you don't really need complex setups to make a fine puzzle plot. The point is to ring a bell to invoke the "aha!" moment. The master builders can even use a single object both as a hint and as a solution - an excellent example is the hammer puzzle from Stairway to Hell, which solves a part of spike trap and shows you how to solve the other part yourself. Or the crowbar star in The Last Crusade - when it falls off, you can instantly see the keylock to shoot in the next order. Or a crack in Aqua Sanctuary which seems to have no purpose but when you get a torch it becomes obvious. Notice all the levels I mentioned are classic stuff like you're aiming to make, so it's really not an obstacle to prevent inventive gaming. If you analyze these and learn from the masters, raising or pushing a block is bound to appear ordinary.
He even complains about a Gameplay killer. Hes lying about that. The button can be pressed as many times as you want.
I would rather point out you don't even have to press it once - you jump over the knife, grab the ladder and bypass the whole setup :-P Still, I understood the intention and performed like you intended :)

In any case, before pointing out puzzle issues I would focus on bugs to fix in the first order: for instance the sounds issues aren't cleared, like when Lara swims on the surface - this animation is rarely performed so I can see why it was overlooked. But what I don't get is how you managed to include a flare bug together with invisible ledges which require flares to proceed. Even weirder, no reviewer mentioned it except Moonpooka who's not a builder so failed to recognize it as a glitch to report. Lol.
Maybe i need to work more on Lightning yes.
What you really need is consistency. If you make a city, it should feel like a city. If you make a tomb, it should feel like a tomb. To be honest the original city of Tinnos didn't feel like a city either, so there's no point to learn from it.

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 31 Jan 2017 18:09

Ray Croft wrote:Like you said Crazyboy. I get that not everyone can like a level but this for example is too much:

I read Gorty's review of Search for the Sun Seraph and he says: The overall design of the game is great, but I have to say that there were enormous many texture errors everywhere, so the texturing seemed done without much care or in a rush"
Seriously, it's like a reviewer can say whatever he wants, well of course he/she can but lies too?

Anyone who has played that game knows that there are literally almost no texturing errors. Pff, he says that about almost every level.
Lol, i'd love to see him make a level and then say the whole game is horrible, buggy, there is nothing new in it and see his reaction.
This is kinda besides the point i was making but I get what you mean, all i ask if anyone disagree's with a review that i write (Or anyone else writes) it's much better for them to discuss it in private instead of Naming Names in their reviews. Because I would never mention any names whose review i disagree with in my review.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life.", '

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Feb 2017 18:32

You do have a point. People who happen to mention names do have a point too. After all, it's the reviews discussion thread - why would it ever exist otherwise? And it isn't about name and shame, mind.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 05 Feb 2017 10:40

@Jorge,
I think he meant naming (and therefore,by inference,being critical of) other reviewers within the text of an actual level review.
I think it's fine to do such a thing, provided it's by way of being an observation;rather than an openly critical comment.
For example:
"Jorge mentions dark lighting in his review,but I never noticed such a thing myself"
"Jorge mentions dark lighting in his review,which is utter rubbish as I never noticed such a thing myself"

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 05 Feb 2017 12:55

However the criticism may be phrased, the previous reviewer is deprived of the ability to get in the last word (unlike the situation that exists here in the forum).

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 07 Feb 2017 16:15

" instead of Naming Names in their reviews" - quote

Indeed you're right. I actually think it's better to leave names out of reviews. Names, not necessarily sensible comments.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 07 Feb 2017 19:01

But if I try to fix a reviewer without calling a name, he may not realize I'm talking to him.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 07 Feb 2017 19:21

But you can do it here. Or, assuming he doesn't read this, you can surely mention his things without having to actually name him. I think.

But of course, you can always say something like:

"In my humble opinion, Beastieraider expresses himself well enough but sometimes speaks some nonsense"

instead of

"Honestly, not only can't Beastieraider write properly but, what is even worse, he writes like a bloody idiot" :D

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 07 Feb 2017 19:51

Unfortunately, we humans naturally skip error reports if they aren't directed straight towards us. I surely did that in the past - "oh, they're not speaking about me, but about people in general, so I don't have to care". I guess this natural resistance to relate to an error has some well-justified evolutionary background, so it's very hard to fight despite of being no longer needed and only disturbing in the present day.
"Honestly, not only can't Beastieraider write properly but, what is even worse, he writes like a bloody idiot" :D
This is still saying he writes LIKE an idiot not IS an idiot.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Feb 2017 11:06

Ok. :)

"Beastieraider thinks like a beast, which anybody can easily tell he is. He's an idiot and his reviews are just as idiotic. If he wants to troll trle why doesn't he go trolling Trump's twitter account instead? Just saying... Good riddance. By the way, this review is as constructive as it ever gets :-P ."

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 09 Feb 2017 17:16

DJ Full wrote:But if I try to fix a reviewer without calling a name, he may not realize I'm talking to him.
This should be dealt with privately, (We have a Private message function in this forum.)
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life.", '