Messing up reviews

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: QRS, Raymond, eTux, EssGee

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Messing up reviews

Post by DJ Full » 10 Feb 2017 02:53

But this way the others won't learn. We really speak here not in order to mock people but to learn from them. If you see a mistake in my review you can name me here, everyone will be able to instantly check that review, have a voice and possibly take a lesson. This all isn't possible in PMs.

Btw I'm dealing with Egyptian Valley by Osvaldo, and I'm trying hard NOT to insult the builder - exceptionally difficult to handle in this case, but the review is still in beta stage and will yet change...
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 10 Feb 2017 18:13

DJ Full wrote:Btw I'm dealing with Egyptian Valley by Osvaldo, and I'm trying hard NOT to insult the builder.
I don't recall feeling any such inhibitions.

My credo: When in doubt, let it out.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Feb 2017 18:47

OK, the Trump joke stays...

Talos

Post by Talos » 14 Apr 2017 15:56

Sorry if use this topic but I do not know where to write it.

I received a very nice review from Manarch2 (about Scaramucce), I thank him for mentioning the final dedication, something I care about very much, but... I want to understand why 4 in gameplay.

"A nice and always appreciated addition to the Easter Calendar that has a nice Venetian atmosphere and a few good usages of objects, especially at the cat scene. The architecture is a bit simple, the texturing in the water not very clean (but quite decent elsewhere); the gameplay honestly doesn't offer much more than exploring the canals up and down, but the boat ride is always fun, there's a hint of a puzzle in the mansion and overall there's no feeling of tedium in the 25 minutes I spent here, maybe except of the need of having to cross the tight rope at least one time too often. The two secrets are nicely hidden and the final scene is a nice hommage to the builder's dad which thus ended emotionally. Recommended as a sweet little break"

Remember that this is a tribute to twenty years of TR2, created to celebrate the event.

Simple curiosity, since the review is nice.

If I was wrong to write it here, I apologize. Thank you

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 14 Apr 2017 21:17

It is not the wrong forum or thread you chose, you chose wisely. :)

However, as the discussion preceding your post shows, it is expected in such cases that the builder (you) contact the reviewer in question (manarch) via PM first, so that the two of you resolve the (perceived) problem in private before going public.

Talos

Post by Talos » 14 Apr 2017 22:22

Mulf wrote:
14 Apr 2017 21:17
It is not the wrong forum or thread you chose, you chose wisely. :)

However, as the discussion preceding your post shows, it is expected in such cases that the builder (you) contact the reviewer in question (manarch) via PM first, so that the two of you resolve the (perceived) problem in private before going public.
Thank you. This is the first time that I discussed for a review, so I don't know no practice in these matters.
Tomorrow I will send a pm, then. Thank you

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 15 Apr 2017 02:15

Mulf wrote:
it is expected in such cases that the builder (you) contact the reviewer in question (manarch) via PM first
Does it really work? Anytime I write a PM about a review I'm just ignored :lol:

Talos

Post by Talos » 15 Apr 2017 07:48

DJ Full wrote:
15 Apr 2017 02:15
Mulf wrote:
it is expected in such cases that the builder (you) contact the reviewer in question (manarch) via PM first
Does it really work? Anytime I write a PM about a review I'm just ignored :lol:
I sent. If don't see it, there is a discussion here

Talos

Post by Talos » 16 Jul 2017 16:34

Hello everyone. Is it possible to contact Gorty? Because I wanted to inform about the English links of the cutscenes of my level on the download page were inserted. He in the review wrote that it did not understood anything because the dialogues are in Italian (my native language)... has no email and I do not find it among users. :? How do I contact?

Thank you!!

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 16 Jul 2017 17:03

not all know that they shall press the little white box beside options
to show subtitles
and it could also have being added to the pdf file
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Talos

Post by Talos » 16 Jul 2017 17:13

vimmers wrote:
16 Jul 2017 17:03
not all know that they shall press the little white box beside options
to show subtitles
and it could also have being added to the pdf file
No, the subtitles are in the videos. I took weeks to create them with Movie Maker for users who do not speak Italian... Michael has entered the link of the playlist. I also wrote to activate the volumetric fx, but I do not think he did. And I put in the folder the right setting...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 03 Oct 2017 00:03

Messing up reviews...

Well, I'm not going to make my life mission to stand up for a builder who can clearly stand up for himself at any time...

But some reviews and ratings leave me in a state of shock!

I mean, one of these days we'll be left with only bloody soulless builders who can be more perfect than God himself but possibly more boring. Oh, and one sole reviewer too!

But we're talking of Armaggedon then, aren't we?

------------------------------

Plus 'forum friends'? Really? Reviewing has very little to nothing to do with 'forum friends'! How twisted can you get?
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 03 Oct 2017 11:40

My thoughts exactly. I mean, being critical and showing that in reviews is one thing, but being plain nasty and destroying other people's work is another thing. Then again, I suppose us players can't do anything about it. It's up to Michael.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 03 Oct 2017 17:02

I assume we're not talking in the abstract here, but about a specific review. If I'm correct in my guess of which level is now under discussion, then in my case I suppose that ignorance is bliss. I know nothing about the finer (or the broader, for that matter) points of level construction, so the phrase "worst texturing I've ever seen" means nothing to me. As far as I'm concerned, if the texturing is pleasing to the eye, I'll reward it with a high score in my review without regard for whether my verdict is rationally based or not. Those of us who are more familiar with level construction are certainly entitled to voice that higher level of experience in their reviews, but in this case I plan to disregard the negative comments when I get around to downloading and playing the level.

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 03 Oct 2017 17:09

I've not played the level in question either;but I wonder if the reviewer simply didn't properly 'get' the characteristically idiosyncratic and somewhat freeform style of the builder?
Knowing the builder,I'm sure he'll be able to take the review comments in good grace.