Google blocking downloads

questions/announcements

Moderators: mugs, QRS, Tinka

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Google blocking downloads

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Jul 2015 19:10

Frankly, I'm not sure anybody cares anymore but this time it isn't simply some antivirus doing something but Google itself blocking my download because of supposedly malicious files found on the site and if I press "Ignore" the download just disappears.

This means I seem to be currently unable to download games from trle.

The file I was trying to download was 20x20x20 Deep Freeze.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Google blocking downloads

Post by Matie » 05 Jul 2015 19:34

I get the same warning. :? Also when I try to check the BtB2014 website.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Jul 2015 19:40

Yes. I tried to download Aqua Sanctuary (not a huge download) just to check and the download went fine.

So, that means not all downloads are blocked unlike what they seem to tell us when they state malicious content was found on trle.

If there's something fishy about some levels, something should be done about it. If it's just the same old patched files thing and if it isn't just an easy to deal with antivirus or something now, something should be done about it.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 06 Jul 2015 03:43

i don't have trouble with 20x20x20 Deep Freeze
so its depending on your browser aka firefox crome iexplore etc
check there's security settings
and what happen when you press ignore then hit f5
and have you tried to rightclick the file and save as ?
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 06 Jul 2015 12:36

Indeed, this has nothing to do with trle.net or the trle.net server or its settings.
It has only to do with your local choice of how you set up (knowingly or unknowingly) your windows/browser/antivirus settings...

So, it's perfectly fine, even understandable, if you want to play it safe and then you will have to miss out on those levels where builders have chosen to patch the exe in a way that gets caught in your "filters", but don't ask others to solve a "problem" that resides at your end... ;)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 06 Jul 2015 14:13

Ok. So, please, do me a favour, if you know, and tell me how to make Google accept the freaking patches as it has never happened before save for antiviruses (and that's more of common knowledge how to solve it). Thanks. :)

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 06 Jul 2015 14:37

Jorge, I don't know the Google fix (hopefully someone here does) but I do know that on my previous PC and OS I could not download levels any more and had to resort to what vimmers mentioned:
right click and select "save as" and as was also mentioned, check Google's security settings

good luck - I know how frustrating this can be

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 06 Jul 2015 15:55

maybe check here https://myaccount.google.com/security
but i don't think i have done anything there
but on my pc i have in control panel/internet options
set most to low or middle
and no George i almost newer have a virus
and only program i use are malwarebytes anti-malware
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 06 Jul 2015 17:28

I use Malwarebytes too and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (not sure if that one does anything really). Still, if you have, say, Avast and perform a scanning when starting the computer (as opposed to one's regular scanning) you may be surprised to find something there. Or, just who knows, if you perform a very quick tdsskiller scan with all the boxes checked, it basically doesn't take space and it's really very quick.

Anyway, I'll definitely try the tips I've been given here. Maybe the "save as" preferably? Thanks everyone. :)

EDIT: Or maybe something else. If I rightclick the link I don't get any "save as", just like I thought. Only a "save the link as" which is probably not quite the same.

............. and the same thing happens. The most I could do with that was downloading a blank file. I'll try to find how to reach the security settings, once I know how I can always get them up and down accordingly.

EDIT2: I was just thinking I may have played patched levels lately and had no issues. For instance, doesn't Talos use a patched exe? Lately, I've played Ancient Artifact II, Parrot's Cove, Poseidon's Sanctum Reboot and Parisian Catacombs, all of wich without issues. Just to get the "patch thing" out of the way, isn't any of these using patched exes?
If it goes beyond the usual patch issue, it should be looked at. I won't insist anymore, for Chryssakes, but I really think it should.