Stand-all-one Project

questions/announcements

Moderators: mugs, QRS, Tinka

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Stand-all-one Project

Post by DJ Full » 28 Jun 2012 14:37

I recently fell in love with another custom level that popped up in my Featured panel - Mayberry Street by Jor-Jor - so I decided to play through it.

Again, it appeared I hit an incomplete package, with missing:
- widescreen exe
- title.tr4
- uklogo.pak
- audio folder.

So, just like I did in case of Murderer's Hiding Place, I put a playable folder for this game together, re-rared and sent to MichaelP.

I think it will be a good idea to follow this pattern from now on. I mean whenever I see a non-playable package, I'll make it standalone, by:
- writing down numbers of all default audios heard ingame, and adding the /audio folder to the package (so players won't have to copy the whole /trle/audio folder everytime they can't guess which files they need)
- when necessary, also including a 16:9 exe (so players won't have neither to search for it anymore, nor modify the classic one).

I am aware updating those folders increases the download size. Back then in time, when the net was slower, this might have been problematic. But today, the net is 20x faster than when I first met it, and even I, without any connection at home, have no problems with getting a level. This is why I think we're ready for a global update. And it also might help increase the download rate of those levels which weren't standalone for all those years - because when a player sees a level which is ready to play right after saving it on HDD, he/she is more likely to hit the download button. Neither those levels have to suffer discrimination, nor potential players have to waste time.

If anyone wants to join the project and help, it would all go faster.

WARNING!
In case of 16:9 TREP executables. A person willing to update such one with a widescreen option should modify it with EXTREME CARE ABOUT THE INVENTORY, for not to destroy possibly customized amount and type of objects! Of course, in most cases, the inventory isn't modified, and You can use a default trepped exe, with: 1 large medi, 3 small, 3 flares, binoculars and pistols - but anyway ALWAYS check what's in the inventory before You perform the 16:9 update.

For the mentioned default-inventory trepped exe, I have one stored HERE.

AND HERE'S THE WIDESCREEN PATCHING INSTRUCTION MYTLY ONCE PROVIDED TO ME:
1. Download patches.drc from trep site.
2. Place a fresh original tomb4.exe in the TREP folder.
3. Open up TREP.
4. In main window, tick 'Remap Scene Memory' and 'Extend tomb4.exe size'.
5. In 'Custom patches', scroll down to 'Widescreen Mode option'. Tick it. Click 'Proceed'.
6. In the main window, click 'Modify' and confirm with 'OK'.

Good luck to all who will accept the challenge.
Last edited by DJ Full on 11 Jul 2012 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Stand-all-one Project

Post by manarch2 » 28 Jun 2012 17:01

Nice idea but... just tried downloading The Murderer's Hiding Place but see what happened...

http://www.trle-hosting.net/levels/2004 ... gPlace.zip

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 28 Jun 2012 17:04

sorry but what does the widescreen.exe do
i have played on a widescreen monitor for several years
and never and i say never used that and i don't see any point to use it
cos tomb raider custom levels are a dos based game not a game you play trough your
graphic card
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 28 Jun 2012 19:22

Vimmers - first of all, no - TR custom levels are not DOS based (at least going by how I understand the term). Only TR1 was DOS based from the original games, so TR1-type custom levels are also DOS based. The rest are all Windows based.

Second of all: I think you play in windowed mode? If so, you obviously don't notice the need for a widescreen mode, since windowed mode shows the level in fake widescreen automatically. For the rest of us, who play in fullscreen mode, a widescreen patch is a godsend. And the TREP widescreen patch is real widescreen, not fake widescreen, unlike TRNG widescreen.

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 28 Jun 2012 19:25

Vimmers

You can use the whole Monitor (in my case 1920x1080) without black bars. I use this exe with all levels that haven't her own exe (or have a normal exe with the normal height of 772kb)
_____

That's right Mytly, it's indeed a godsend :D
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 28 Jun 2012 22:30

_manarch2 wrote:Nice idea but... just tried downloading The Murderer's Hiding Place but see what happened...
http://www.trle-hosting.net/levels/2004 ... gPlace.zip
???? (goes to mail MichaelP)

@vimmers,
In general, widescreen patches prevent getting a so-called Fat Lara Syndrome.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 11 Jul 2012 10:47

I updated the first post with the widescreen patching manual (once provided by Mytly). It's been so long ago when I last tried it myself, that I forgot the operation requires a special file. Anyway everything is written above.

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 11 Jul 2012 20:27

Great idea. this will make it possible for the "lazy" players out there to play the old gems as well.

I'll definitely contribute to this in the summer holidays, but right now I have to get back to "theoretical mechanics"

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 11 Jul 2012 23:57

I have a question

As for example Temple of Karnak by Helmut Walter: Wherefrom should I know, which Audios this Level requires? There is only the TR4 in this Download, nothing more. We have 54 Files in the Audiofolder and 497 Files in the Samplesfolder from the LE. I mean, it's no problem to create a Stand-Alone-Level. I have done this with the newest Level The Quarters of the Evil by Potter. So again the question regarding the Audios.
_____
And another question

Another thing is a TREP-Level: I play currently TR Search HQ Emergency with a Widescreen-TREP-Exe. Bojrkraider has provided me the TPS-File and masha has made for me the Widescreen-TREP-Exe. I'm currently in the Level TR Search Engine HQ-Top Floor and I have so far only one problem. I had to choose "Mac" at the beginning of the Level British Mountain Ranges, because it crashes onto the desktop when I choose "PC". Therefore I had no snowfall. But that was no problem and Bojrkraider had draw attention me to this situation.

My question is now: Did you need in general this TPS-File to create a Widescreen-Exe? If this is so, you must ask all Levelbuilder who have built a TREP-Level of this File
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Jul 2012 04:59

Scottie wrote:Wherefrom should I know, which Audios this Level requires? (...) We have 54 Files in the Audiofolder
Fexinspect. It gives numbers of CD triggers :D :D but excluding ambient soundtracks, because those are scripted, not CD-triggered. So:
1. You play the game, listening to the ambience. There's no other way than to learn to recognize default ambiences - however it's so easy that I did it all tonight, while putting together the Howaito anthology. All of those ambiences have very characteristic points, e.g. 105 for coastal has seagulls and seashore, 108 for catacomb has sounds of water drops falling, 110 (karnak) has rock rumbling in the very beginning, and 111 includes crickets. You recognize the track - and there is one more thing making it easier in Your case (if the builder didn't bother to include ANYTHING in the package, it's veeeery likely he didn't touch the script and Your karnak.tr4 = karnak ambience = 110.wav) and paste the proper music file into the /audio folder.
2. For all other triple-number tracks: You launch Fexinspect, load the data file and locate the "Find for Commands" area in the lower right corner. You unfold the lower drop-down list, scroll to PLAY_SOUNDTRACK and click "FIND". The audio file number appears in "Trigger details" in the upper right corner of the program window. Copy that number and then click "FIND NEXT" (next to the "FIND"). That will move the locator to the next CD trigger. One by one, copy all music files responding to CD triggers Fexinspect indicates.
497 Files in the Samplesfolder from the LE
Those are integrated with .tr4 file. No need to worry about them. If an author messed those sounds up, we can't help it.
I had to choose "Mac" at the beginning of the Level British Mountain Ranges, because it crashes onto the desktop when I choose "PC". My question is now: Did you need in general this TPS-File to create a Widescreen-Exe?
I don't understand what You mean by saying "choose "Mac"". And what do You mean by saying "TPS-File"? A trepped exe? Anyway, You need a trepped exe. You have to patch it as indicated in the instruction in the first post.

And watch out for levels made in and after 2008. Several hours ago, I made a playable folder for Yestermorrow. I had some flyby crashes, and many reviewers also indicate them. eTux didn't even watch the final flyby... as well as me. Later I replaced the trepped executable with a trng one + dll, and the crashes vanished. It seems the game has been made in TRNG, in its very early days - however many players just installed it with a classic or trepped exe, and missed something. I already mailed Benjamin, to make sure if those games were intended to be played in TRNG mode.
A similar thing happened with the game that started this project - Murderer's Hiding Place. In this case, the author didn't convert the mp3s to wavs. The level is filled with 5 nice tracks, including a murder scene audio, and probably most players have been overlooking them for the past 8 years. OMG... That's simply terrifying to be aware how many of such mistakes might still be out there unnoticed.

I'm currently stuck in the latest of Howaito levels. When I'm un-stuck, I'll go back to the Cartoon Worl.... or no, no, first I'm going to take some sleep. Zzzzzzzzzz..

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 12 Jul 2012 07:46

-TR Search HQ Emergency is a TREP-Level
-You need the TPS-File (this File has all Informations about what you have choosed as you trepped the Exe. As far as I understand it right :blush: )
-PC=You play with Snowfall, Mac=you play without snowfall. When I choose PC the game crashes when I leave the hut. But this was the only problem

Apart from this: It is way easier for you as builder than for me as a player to work with this tools, but I will give it a try. We will see what comes around. Maybe you can make a list with the names of the Levels you (and possible other peoples) have finished :wink:

Ok, I have opened with Fexinspect the TR4-File from the Level Die Ruinen (The Ruins) by mikel. Fexinspect shows me the Numbers 53, 88, 65, and 55 when I choose Play_Soundtrack and click on find next. So that's indeed easy. but Is there no other (easier) way as to play the whole Level to locate the ambient soundtrack?
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Jul 2012 09:55

Scottie wrote:-You need the TPS-File (this File has all Informations about what you have choosed as you trepped the Exe
This indeed is problematic. Mailing the builder would be indeed better than launching the game and checking how long a flare burns, how much ammo is picked up at once, what color the sprint and air bars have, how far from Lara the events fade to black, how (and if) the distant fog is forced to be on, etc... Moreover there are some trep changes that remain unnoticable even if You encounter them.

Fortunately for us, a main TREP era lasted for less than 2 years only, and many builders stayed with using a classic exe before moving straightforwardly to TRNG. And most of builders who treated TREP seriously are still here, ready to provide a TPS file. That shouldn't result in more than 30-40 problematic levels. Compared to our walkthru efforts, this is nothing too heavy to fight.
-PC=You play with Snowfall, Mac=you play without snowfall. When I choose PC the game crashes when I leave the hut.
OK, OK, but where do You choose that "Mac" option? I've never seen it anywhere.
It is way easier for you as builder than for me as a player to work with this tools
Nope. Fexinspect is just for inspecting, except one reason: if You lost a project file and have just a .tr4 left, for it to serve as a reconstruction plan :)
Maybe you can make a list with the names of the Levels you (and possible other peoples) have finished :wink:
I was going to suggest that. Something like the walkthru index, where we could add more and more finished levels. But this belongs rather to levelbuilding section than to walkthru writing, so we should possibly contact the mods of that area, for them to sticky our list. If I remember correctly, only a mod is able to edit such list though, so there would be one more person to bother... Maybe it will be easier for me to update the first post of this thread with more and more titles. On the other hand, if the topic moves to the levelbuilding section, more builders will read it and it might be easier for those whose help we need to reply to us.
Is there no other (easier) way as to play the whole Level to locate the ambient soundtrack?
The info about it is in the script, and You can't examine the .dat file. Of course, You can also ask the builder for the script.txt, but... if You're going to play a level anyway, it only requires a sheet of paper and writing a number everytime the ambience changes. And, as I said before: in most cases it DOESN'T change throughout the whole level. Most builders simply don't care.

And, above everything else, remember there's no hurry needed. We have time. If those levels suffered from being non-standalone for so many years, nothing bad will happen if they stay this way for another several months. At first I only wanted to pick a level from time to time, and coincide my playthrough with fixing a folder. I never intended it to be a must-100-percent-finish project, but rather a free and fun way of helping players a bit - so no matter how fast or how slow it goes, it's good we do it at all. I'm glad I'm receiving help in any form and any amount. So really no hurry, and if one day we stumble upon a folder which is unfixable, we should just go over it and accept the level as it is provided.

I've taken some sleep, woke up and finished that level within minutes. Now I'll put together remaining folders... including a masterpiece of all time, The Fatal Death Trep... er I mean Trap.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Jul 2012 11:12

@Scottie
UPDATE: I've just replayed and assemblied the folder for Return to Cartoon World, and I must admit I overlooked something obvious...
JEEP SOUNDTRACK is also not pointed out by Fexinspect, because it's hardcoded to play 098.wav without a placed trigger. So whenever You see a jeep in a level, and there's no custom 098.wav, You have to place a default file of this number in the /audio folder.

@Soul,
I'm one of those lazy players as well, but helping someone else destroys this blockade. Same happens with the walkthrus.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Jul 2012 11:39

@Scottie,
another UPDATE: I've just realized there's one more hardcoded sound I completely forgot about - the SECRET SOUND (005.wav), which also plays automatically with a SECRET trigger, not CD one. So after You search for PLAY_SOUNDTRACK in Fexinspect, You also need to search for SECRET_FOUND command.

Sorry, sorry, sorry :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: That's just me... I'm re-checking BH's levels and including the 005.wav where necessary. I already know I missed it in his latest level.

No!!! Another EDIT:
and another another update: yet one more hardcoded sound You need to be careful about, although occuring VERY rarely, is the LYRE SAMPLE. If You played Secrets of Nepal (and I assume You all did), You remember a harp on the top of the temple tower (see 08:49). Lara places the puzzle what causes both the animation and the sound to play automatically on OCB -422. So - once again :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: - if You see a Lyre in a level, leave the 006.wav in the folder (source: skribblerz.com).

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Jul 2012 13:28

Sorry for triple... no... QUADRUPLE! posting, but this was really a morning of discoveries. I was preparing preultimate Howaito package element - Test Level - and I noticed the ambience, initially being of settomb (107), changes to karnak (110) when Lara exits the jeep. Once triggered, the soundtrack DOES NOT revert to the original. How can it be possible for a level to change the ambience without any CD trigger promting such change?

My suspicion is the game engine might REMEMBER that the jeep was originally intended for Temple of Karnak level. It looks like if the programmers wanted to reduce the number of placed CD triggers, so they assigned the ambience change to conditions of entering the vehicle. Such change is possible to recreate with TRNG, but - until now - I had no idea it has been implemented in the original game.

I have no other choice than to download some levels which include the JEEP, and check if this is an always-working rule.

EDIT:
It seems I was right. Look:
Ambience changing after entering/exiting the JEEP
Sometimes I don't like to be right... We indeed have to be careful about this one more thing, then.

I fixed the download packages for those two levels of Benjamin. No other of his contains a jeep, nor lyre, nor more secrets than those in already fixed packages. Same goes for previously uploaded Murderer and Mayberry: fortunately, the first one has default karnak ambience, so no change occures after the jeep, and the second one has no vehicles at all. Whew! I'm uploading Howaito and MAYBE I can finally say: "IT'S WORKING". And if case if it wasn't, Michael is still on vacation, so I'll manage to fix before he comes back, so he doesn't have to upload twice.