Upcoming Levels preview - Idea

questions/announcements

Moderators: mugs, QRS, Tinka

MpGrill_trle

Upcoming Levels preview - Idea

Post by MpGrill_trle » 15 May 2012 18:23

I just came up with a new Idea by watching the FrontPage of trle.net and I realized that maybe putting a ˝upcoming levels˝ or ˝upcoming levels preview˝ link could be a nice ˝improvement˝. I don’t know how much work this is or how complicated it would be to integrate something like that on trle.net, but I’m sure that players, builders and reviewers would like to see something like this.

How could it look on the frontpage ?

And how the preview page could look:

I just took the ˝levels of the month˝ page so the levels are of course already released. Besides release date, there could also be some additional information like on this picture:

I just took the ˝levels of the month˝ page so the levels are of course already released. Besides release date, there could also be some additional information like on this picture:
If this Idea would be considered seriously, there should be of course some arguing about what’s the page should provide and what not and how levels should be listened. The only bad thing about this could be putting many levels on the page from builders who just created few rooms with terrific lighting, texturing etc.... So there should be some criteria what levels will be shown on the page...like...minimum of 20-30% or even 50% of the level needs to be done, or only levels from builders who have already created some descent levels with a rating of 7.0 or above ... or if a new builder with no previous works wants his level on the page he’s screenshots could be reviewed by some experienced people.

How levels could be listened ?
- I would suggest by release date. If a levels has release date TBD --> bottom

Level info page:

1. Screenshots --> 4-5 screenshots
2. view level info --> Game concept, number of predicted levels, storyline, %, interesting facts...etc.... maybe trailer....

-----------------------------

This is just an Idea I wanted to share :)

Soooo...whats the opinion of others ? :argue:

mugs
Admin
Admin

Re: Upcoming Levels preview - Idea

Post by mugs » 15 May 2012 18:55

The "Chat About a Level" forum has always been the predominant place to preview a new game. Builders can create their own thread, add pictures and videos to tempt us with, show us the story, and give us an idea of release dates. The only thing I can think of that might formalize that a bit would be the creation of a forum for just that purpose. Might be less work for Michael.
Of doggie candle fame!

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 15 May 2012 21:01

I don't think this would work as a page on trle.net, as there are so many parameters to consider for what counts as an upcoming level. If a person has just started work on it, is it an upcoming level? Even if the level is 90% finished, is it considered an upcoming level, if the builder is not sure when the level would be released?

Also, a lot of people start projects and abandon them midway, or take long breaks from them (I am particularly prone to the latter :blush: ). If a level hangs out on the 'Upcoming levels' page for several months, the concept kind of loses its meaning.

Plus, upcoming levels are by definition unfinished. The builder may not even be sure how it will turn out in the end. They may intend to make a single level, then wind up having to split it into two or more levels because of technical issues. Or the storyline could change drastically. Or they may simply not have any suitable screenshots to show, even when they are far along in the process of building (for example, some people prefer to build geometry and gameplay first, and leave lighting and texturing till the end).

I know this sounds overly negative, but I'm not really trying to say that the idea is bad. It's just that it's probably better for builders themselves to decide how much they want to tell others about their upcoming levels, and in what way, or if they want to mention it at all. And when/if they do, they can always start a thread about it in the Chat about a Level sub-forum, as Mugs says. :) .... Though I do kind of like her idea of a special sub-forum for upcoming levels. :) (And that reminds me, I should make a thread about my own upcoming level soon. :D )

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 16 May 2012 01:39

Amen to everything Mytly said. I need only cite Sanctuary of Souls (projected for a 2006 release but never completed) as Exhibit A and Spring of Eternal Youth ("coming soon" back in 2009) as Exhibit B.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 16 May 2012 03:32

I agree that this might not be the most suitable page for the site. The only real usefulness I could see is if the builder had the level(set) ready (ie. already sent to Michael), but for some reason wanted to do a timed release of it.

TOMBR6

Post by TOMBR6 » 08 Oct 2013 16:55

On the contrary, - very-very suitable!
It is not necessary to designate exact terms of date of release and to build in the counter of return readout for each level.
Instead it would be possible to designate simply approximate dates (plus - a minus couple of weeks for example?).
Then, truth, works for Michael can increase...
But if all it was on the front page, as it has been noticed above on this page in MpGrill_trle's post, it would be magnificent!
do you love tomb raider, how I love it?!