Spam email received that claims to have found my addy here..

questions/announcements

Moderators: mugs, QRS, Tinka

Solange

Spam email received that claims to have found my addy here..

Post by Solange » 31 May 2008 20:37

Hello everyone, been a long time! Sorry to return just to have something like this to say...

Today I received the following email (sender removed) :
(email addy removed)
Hello dearest one,
My name is sofia, i am a beautiful and romantic young girl from africa, i saw your profile today at (www.trle.net) and loved it,tho nit is not a dating site, i believe we can click together and make something good out of it, you can contact me directly through my private email adress
thus;(email addy removed) this will enable me to send you my pictures and tell you more about me.
i will be waiting to hear from you soonest.
sofia.
I just checked my profile, and I am not set to permit emails through here, only pm's. Makes me wonder how the hell they got my addy. Has your database been hacked?

And anyway, Sofia should have known I would not be interested in her, no matter how beautiful she is! :lol:

Anyway, good to see so many familiar names still around! I hope you are all well! :)

Solange

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 31 May 2008 20:43

Sofia (*cough*) probably got your email address from the review staff page. Yasin started a similar thread a couple of months ago about how he'd got some spam from someone who got his address from TRLE.net as well.

Personally, I'm just glad I don't use the email address that's listed in my review staff profile anymore.

Solange

Post by Solange » 31 May 2008 20:51

I see... Is it possible to have your email addy removed from there...?

Amber Light

Post by Amber Light » 31 May 2008 22:18

Same with me here...

A possible solution would be to add a contact form or page so that people could still send messages to builders/reviewers without them being spammed. It is a development and may take quite some time but it could be worth it in the end...
Just my two cents. :wink:
Aye, that's :cat: melodeon!

Solange

Post by Solange » 31 May 2008 23:48

It is generally bots snooping around the net looking for posted email addys. A solution would be to not post the addresses as url. One way of doing that is to put a space before the @, or spaces between all letters/numbers in the addy. When someone wants to contact someone, they will have to type in the addy manually, but that is a small price to pay I think. :)

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 01 Jun 2008 07:01

Solange, it's nice to see you again. :hello:
"You learn something every day."

Solange

Post by Solange » 01 Jun 2008 11:38

Hello oxy, good to see you too! :) :hello:

Amber Light

Post by Amber Light » 01 Jun 2008 11:43

I hear you, Solange, however it may depend on a few other things:

- robots are getting more and more sophisticated nowadays, and I guess it is/will be quite easy for them to delete a space or other significant characters in an email addy.

- some people may still be reluctant having their email address widespread for anyone to see and use it (and not only for TR purposes!).

The contact page or form would be a solution in the long term. Now, it's only my opinion. But let's leave it to the discretion of the Boss! :D :wink:

PS;: Hiya Oxy! 8)
Aye, that's :cat: melodeon!

Solange

Post by Solange » 01 Jun 2008 15:23

Or perhaps changing the addys to match forum nicknames instead of real names as it is now. That would allow people to send PM through the forum instead of having to send email. Also more reliable probably, as many people change email addys regularly for different reasons, but rarely change forum accounts! :)

Isis

Post by Isis » 01 Jun 2008 16:43

I've just got that Sofia one too :(

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 01 Jun 2008 18:44

*sigh* yeah, well, always coming in waves these things. I have not changed my own email address since mprager.de went online many, many years ago and yes, I also have gotten all variations of SPAM including the latest one from our friendly Sofia... and while being a nuisance, no real harm has come from it...

...but still... despite the fact that it is of course a bit pointless to now change all the email addresses to graphics instead of text you can click on (as whatever bots are out there have read them already anyway), I will get on with it in the coming weeks and take out all the mail addresses in the Reviewer profiles from the database tonight...

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 01 Jun 2008 19:13

MichaelP wrote:...but still... despite the fact that it is of course a bit pointless to now change all the email addresses to graphics instead of text you can click on (as whatever bots are out there have read them already anyway), I will get on with it in the coming weeks and take out all the mail addresses in the Reviewer profiles from the database tonight...
Not everybody is fond of spam, you know ;)
And btw changing the email addresses to graphics will help long-term and is considered one of the most secure ways to protect one's email address...
http://trle-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=433543#433543

Nadine

Solange

Post by Solange » 01 Jun 2008 21:11

MichaelP wrote:I will get on with it in the coming weeks and take out all the mail addresses in the Reviewer profiles from the database tonight...
Thank you! :) Not THAT much of a rush though, make sure you have time for a nice drink or a relaxing level between the workload! ;)

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 01 Jun 2008 21:40

Bit late to butt in but I think it is rather naïve not to think that your mail address is safe this way and won’t get hacked one day.

Even if you take a mail address (like I do) for the sites I visit and another for friends and family. Only one of the friends or family has to get a nasty virus and your address will be all over the world.

So it has not much to do with the which, what and where. These things happen, that is life and life is never fair.

You get spam unless you have a really good spam filter. I get more spam these days on my private address then the one that out and in the open.
And I have to admit that my hotmail address hardly ever get spam these days.
Oops, I did it again... Image

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 01 Jun 2008 22:04

:-o Sofia, I am shocked.

I thought to be your one and only :( :angry:

No really, a spam mail - oh the world is going to end.
hm, with all the zillion smilies here there is not the panicking one ?

This week i received an offer from the UN to take part in their soandso training programme for which they still need participants from either Africa or Asia. :? I wonder what they think I am - African or Asian ?

And a nice offer from the minister for foreign affairs of the UAE to help me and my family out with 4.5 mio $ as soon as I have all my personal and bank account informations sent :wink:
I am H.E. Muhammad Husayen Al Shali, Ministry of Foreign Affairs United Arab Emirates, we are pleased to inform you that This office want to show concern over the disaster occurred in your country therefore our board has accord to assist you with US$4,500,000.00, so that you and your entire family can carry on with life again.
I really should go out more, I didn't even know we had a major disaster over here ...
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!