Single forward walk caused by Triggers Triggerer ?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Alex Chap

Single forward walk caused by Triggers Triggerer ?

Post by Alex Chap » 05 Jan 2020 19:42

Hello,

I don't think it's possible to fix this except if I decided to totally erase the implied gameplay, but I'm experiencing a strange bug where Lara is able to do only one forward step while maintaining the walk and up buttons before to stop. She can still walk left, right and backward continuously and it comes only from her stand still animation.

It's still possible to avoid that by pressing again the up button, but you'll have to do this everytime you want to walk continuously. :anxious:

I found the cause after several tests and this might be caused by triggers triggerer, my guess is because they are currently active in a room, I was able to stop this bug thanks to flipmaps disabling or activating the triggers triggerer.
One other thing, my script uses a looped organizer which enable and disable 2 triggers triggerer, this allows me to create teleporters with a certain cooldown.

Here is an exemple :

Code: Select all

TriggerGroup= 1, $5000, 1, $2B, $5000, 2, $2C
TriggerGroup= 2, $5000, 2, $2C, $5000, 1, $2B
Organizer= 1, FO_TICK_TIME+FO_LOOP, IGNORE, 0, 1, 90, 2
I just like to know if someone already faced this problem ? Thanks :)

Titak

Re: Single forward walk caused by Triggers Triggerer ?

Post by Titak » 08 Jan 2020 12:26

I have the same issue in one of my levels. Or at least one level I noticed it in so far.

When I saw your test results regarding the trigger-triggerer object I went and checked if my level has them as well.
And, yes, the level has them. So I also tested with them being inactive and them being active.
Does not matter in my case. The issue appears at some point in the level, but already before the trigger-triggerer objects are triggered.

Back when I first noticed this walk issue I also investigated and it seemed to have to do with the number of customized bridge collisions using the fragmented triggers underneath them. The fragmented triggers I used are creating circular collisions for the bridges.
Do you have any of those in this level?
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 08 Jan 2020 20:36

I don't use bridge collisions but yes, I use a lot of fragmented triggers, stripped and circular, and they are just under the trigger triggerers.

Is it the fragmented triggers causing this ?

Titak

Post by Titak » 08 Jan 2020 21:32

Looks like it is the fragmented triggers.
I remember a discussion about this going on at TRF and other people who were using them also had the one-step issue. :cry:

But it's been some years back so I can't remember the details.
I don't think it can be fixed other than removing the fragmented triggers.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 08 Jan 2020 22:14

It's okay :)
I can still disable these fragmented triggers after a certain part of the game to avoid this bug for a moment.

Thank you Titak :)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 10 Jan 2020 16:37

Question by an interested party who has come to use lots of fragmented triggers (for bridge collisions, mostly): Does this problem occur once the Trigger Triggerers are activated, or is their mere presence on a fragmented-trigger tile enough to cause it?

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 10 Jan 2020 18:53

@Mulf

In my case, it can happen anywhere to Lara at the moment a Trigger Triggerer (Blue square) is active on the map, knowing that all of them are under fragmented triggers.
I have Trigger Triggerers on flipped rooms, it means that while one of these rooms are flipped, Lara can't follow her forward steps by maintaining the forward button.

It's like : "FlipOn : You can't walk ! FlipOff : You can now ! LOL" x)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 10 Jan 2020 19:07

I was just wondering whether it might be a flipmap problem rather than a fragmented-trigger problem, but then I remembered that I've used a Trigger Triggerer in a flipmap with no such glitch occurring. One more thing to take into account, then. *sigh*

psiko

Post by psiko » 10 Jan 2020 19:25

I don't have triggertriggerers in the levels where this bug appears to me, anyhow if you press walk+ twice forward key (fast) it disappears for a while. I am quite sure a global trigger for the walk animation as condition, and the execution of this combo of keys pressed for few frames in an organizer, could solve the issue as a workaround. I do not have a pc at the moment to check it myself...

Edit: the condition for the gt could be the pressed walk key + forward key, the executive trigger could be a second pression of the forward key, after let's say, 2 or 3 frames with an organizer.