Altering old level exe?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

reborn1995

Altering old level exe?

Post by reborn1995 » 12 Mar 2017 15:34

There's an old level I like to play that requires the old install--copying the files into the appropriate TRLE folders. I've never built any levels before. I'm wondering how difficult it is to change it to the new way--the "click the exe and play" way that doesn't require having TRLE installed on the comp. Is this difficult? I just really enjoy this particular level and have played it repeatedly over the years. I'd love to make it a little easier/convenient. Where might I find instructions about how to do this? Is it something a novice could do?

Thanks
Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. -Mr. Magorium

Titak

Re: Altering old level exe?

Post by Titak » 12 Mar 2017 18:50

All levels here on trle.net have been converted to work as "click the exe and play".
So isn't this level available here? :thinking:

Anyway, to make a level "click the exe and play" you do ofcourse need the level editor, since you need to copy files to the downloaded folder.
Install the level as you would normally do.

What you need for a standalone "click the exe and play" folder is first to make a new TRLE folder. It can have any name you want, like the name of the level. This TRLE folder should contain:
  • Audio folder, containing the required .wav files. Keep in mind that the level might use more .wav files than just the ones provided in the download.
  • Data folder, containing the title.tr4 (or a title with a custom name), uklogo.pak and the .tr4 file(s) of the level.
  • English.dat and script.dat in the TRLE main folder, tomb4.exe and load.bmp.
That should be it.
You can ofcourse keep the wad files and any additional samples that might have been provided with the level, but they are not needed for the "click the exe and play" folder.
I'd also keep the readme.txt if there is one.

Ehm... that should indeed be it.
But since I haven't touched the original TRLE in ages, I'm not 100% sure this is indeed all you need. :thinking:
Perhaps someone else can verify my suggestion.
Or simply try it and see if the level will run with just the files I mentioned. :D
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 12 Mar 2017 20:45

The level is one that I have a copy of but is no longer available on the trle.net list of levels.

But thanks!--i will give this a try. :D
Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. -Mr. Magorium

Titak

Post by Titak » 12 Mar 2017 21:03

You could also check one of the older levels here on trle.net and see which files are included there.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.