New tool to add sounds to animations

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

HD86

New tool to add sounds to animations

Post by HD86 » 10 Jan 2017 07:17

Hello,

Sound issues were for me the worst thing about level editing when I started. There was no way to add a sound directly to an animation, and if a sound does not exist in at least one animation it will be deleted from the wad by WADMerger when the wad is saved. Now I have made this little tool that allows you to add any sound to any animation, and next you can import the animation to your wad by WADMerger and the sound will stick in your wad.

Of course, the sound will not play in your level if it is not added also to the SFX & SAM files, but there are many available tools for editing those.
Last edited by HD86 on 10 Jan 2017 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: New tool to add sounds to animations

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jan 2017 15:22

Thanks! You solved my recent sfx problem, I had these new sounds disappear.
I thought they just fail to be added, I didn't know they're dropped as "unused".
It's very similar to what happens to textures, but that occurs in right moment.

Is there a chance to run your tool without installing the framework?
WadMerger doesn't require it, only the VB runtime.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

HD86

Post by HD86 » 10 Jan 2017 16:26

This is written with C++/CLI, so it requires the .NET framework to be installed on your machine. I made it this way in order to save time, because if I were to write it in the native C++ code it would have taken me longer time to finish. Also it would have been bigger and buggier.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jan 2017 18:37

HD86 wrote:This is written with C++/CLI, so it requires the .NET framework.
I made it this way in order to save time
So everyone using this tool will need extra time instead... Nope.
These frameworks are usually confusing, hard to tell which version is needed.
What would be really cool is this tool incorporated in WadMerger Fix 1.0.0.5.
You should contact Paolone or sapper, I'm sure they could help make it work :)
Also it would have been bigger and buggier.
Speaking of that, I get an unnecessary error monit if I:
- overwrite a .trw
- hit delete if no sound command exists
- hit change if no sound command exists.

HD86

Post by HD86 » 10 Jan 2017 19:08

DJ Full wrote: What would be really cool is this tool incorporated in WadMerger Fix 1.0.0.5.
You should contact Paolone or sapper, I'm sure they could help make it work :)
When I looked into the issue of wad editing I realized that the authors of WADMerger neglected to add some possible features not because they could not add them but simply because they did not want to spend so much time on them.

WADMerger is an extremely buggy app. Even after all the patches it is still buggy. It seems that the original author of the app chose not to include any exception handlers at all. He was trying to finish as fast as possible, because this was a huge work (and it was for free).

So answering your question: Paolone can easily add this feature to WADMerger if he wishes to. He does not need to be contacted by me. He probably has more important things to do with his new TRNG updates.
Speaking of that, I get an unnecessary error monit if I:
- overwrite a .trw
- hit delete if no sound command exists
- hit change if no sound command exists.
This is sad to hear. I hope these error messages do not prevent the tool from doing what it is supposed to do? What do the messages say?

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jan 2017 19:23

HD86 wrote:It seems that the original author of the app chose not to include any exception handlers at all.
I don't know that. WadMerger does a lot, and in MOST scenarios without crashing. You're usually fine if you don't delete a parent mesh before the child :)
Paolone can easily add this feature to WADMerger if he wishes to. He does not need to be contacted by me. He probably has more important things to do with his new TRNG updates.
Yes, that's why you could make his life easier by giving him the source material :)
I hope these error messages do not prevent the tool from doing what it is supposed to do?
No, they don't. They just appear if I click on random stuff, like I tend to do with every program I try :)
What do the messages say?
Something about unhandled exception... possibly one of these missing "exception handlers" :D

HD86

Post by HD86 » 10 Jan 2017 19:39

WADMerger has improved significantly after recent patches by Paolone. Two years ago it was unbearable. It would crash everytime you run it.

Sad to hear that there are unhandled exceptions in this tool, but I am glad that it did not completely crash and it still did its purpose.

Thanks for your feedback DJ Full.