Audio causing short freeze/delay

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

OverRaider

Audio causing short freeze/delay

Post by OverRaider » 13 Nov 2016 18:41

When triggering an audio in-game, it happens, and very often, that the game feezes/delays for a second and that`s actually quite an issue especially in cases of camera sequence events. Is there a way to avoid it or get rid of it?
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

JesseG

Re: Audio causing short freeze/delay

Post by JesseG » 14 Nov 2016 04:12

My first reaction is that your computer is taking a while to load the audio files for some reason. Do you notice it more with the longer audio tracks? Have you seen it when you play other levels as opposed to your own?

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 14 Nov 2016 06:57

I do notice it also with audios as short as 2 second duration... It`s happening also with several other custom levels I`ve played. It doesn`t happen everytime but very often, also I noticed that this issue has tendency to strike after each re-load/return to game. But better to explain in situations:

1. Starting new game, stepping on tile to trigger the audio track => the game freezes for a second, stepping on another tile to trigger another audio track => the game doesn`t freeze anymore
2. Starting new game, stepping on tile to trigger the audio track => the game freezes for a second, saving and reloading the game and then stepping on another tile to trigger another audio track => the game freezes for a second again

This seems to me to be a known issue in my opinion as I`ve also seen it several times in video playthroughs on youtube, but now, that you mentioned that my computer is taking a while to load the audio... Does it mean it`s not occuring to you? So it`s a computer issue? Like graphics card or sound card any other properties?
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 14 Nov 2016 22:34

No, I haven't experienced that in any custom levels. I have noticed it in the official games, especially if I had the audio load from the CD (that was before I knew I could copy it into the game folder to increase load time).

I am not very knowledgeable with computer hardware, but my guess would be that either your computer's processor is slow or you have a low amount of memory in your computer, increasing the time it takes to load the audio into the game. The curious part is that you noticed it only happens the first time after you load (or reload) a level. Maybe there is some kind of audio buffer that is created the first time audio is needed, that is kept open for sequential calls for audio files.

One thing you can try: If you aren't using .ogg files, try converting the audio to .ogg and see if the delay is better or not.