One more question.

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Colin Benson

One more question.

Post by Colin Benson » 01 Jul 2016 02:19

Sorry to bug you guys again, but I'd like to know how (if possible) to increase the polygon rendering distance, draw distance or whatever you call it in the next generation level editor. I know that I can use the engine patcher on the first generation level editor but that program is incompatible with next gen level editor.

(I looked at the level editor script manual but it's 600+ pages filled with script and flip effects I'll never use, nor have the patience to read.)

JesseG

Re: One more question.

Post by JesseG » 01 Jul 2016 13:03

WorldFarView and LevelFarView are the settings you're looking for. (WorldFarView is the required one I believe)

Small thread talking about this:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159563

Titak

Post by Titak » 01 Jul 2016 15:24

Not just WorldFarView.
I can't remember the exact difference between them, but here's what I'm uing.
I'm using WorldFarView= 127 only in the [Options] part of the script.
This will get rid of most of the clipping that can occur when objects are close to eachother or when objects are placed on walls and such. With clipping I mean the flickering of the faces when the objects are seen from a certain distance.

Then, in the [Level] sections I use something like this for an open outdoor area:
Fog= 58,56,61
LevelFarView= 55
FogRange= 20,55
ForceVolumetricFX= DISABLED

As you can see the LevelFarView is set to a distance at least double of the default setting (which is around 20 if I remember correctly). This is the command that sets the actual viewdistance in a level.
But due to the amount of detail that the large open area will have, I'm also using the fog commands. Using FogRange= 20, 55 I created a light (=not dense) fog that starts at about 20 sectors and ends at the LevelFarView value of 55. Using this slight fog already reduces lagging in this large open section of the level.
Fog= 58, 56, 61 determines the colour of the fog.
And to make sure players will see the distant fog I also used ForceVolumetricFX= DISABLED.

Actually, using a slight fog tends to look better then havign no fog at all in large open areas. This has to do with the way the engine works: everything, both close by and far away, will be rendered very clearly.
While in real life things will always fade a bit when viewed from a large distance.

As for TREP, yes, that is indeed incompatible with TRNG.
But there's also a TREP-kloon sort of thingy called FLEP which is compatible with TRNG.
However, it does not have the patch to change the viewdistance because TRNG already has that feature included.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Colin Benson

Post by Colin Benson » 01 Jul 2016 18:16

Great, that's what I was looking for. Thankies for your answers. :)