I want to start building again!

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Tomb Raider Fan

I want to start building again!

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 06 Jun 2016 05:49

Hey. I used to build years ago and lately i have had the urge to start building again! I havn't even touched the TRLE since 2006. Yes! 10 years ago! Some of you may remember me. As soon as the lost soul of maria was released i never went on it again. So where do i begin? I remember the odd bits from the editor but for the most part i probably need to go over some tutorials again lol. I used to spend so much time using the trle it took up all my spare time and i loved it lol.

I see there have been major changes with the TRLE. Looks as though the TRNG is the rage now? So where would you suggest i start? By the way i use Windows 10. Hopefully that is compatible with the trle! Thanks!
Currently Building: The Lost Soul Of Maria
Currently Playing: Recommend me something

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Titak

Re: I want to start building again!

Post by Titak » 06 Jun 2016 17:15

Welcome back to the world of levelbuilding! :2thumbsup:

First of all you should install the original TRLE, if you have not done so already.
People have reported problems with the TRLE on Win10, but it can be made to work. Although it might not be as easy as it was back in the XP days.

For starters, perhaps rereading the official manual? Just to get back into the basics of it all before moving on to editing wads, objects and whatnot.
Chances are you'll recognise a lot of things and that you'll get through the manual quit fast. :D
TRNG can be installed right away, as soon as the TRLE is up and running.
TRNG should be installed using MK4 and then update to 1.2.2.7+: http://www.webalice.it/paolone2011/ng.htm

Same goes for additional programs like WADMerger and STRPix.

As for tutorials on all kinds of topics regarding the TRLE and TRNG, we managed to salvage the numerous tutorials that used to be hosted in Skribblerz, before is closed:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
There's a stickied INDEX thread in that tutorials section for easier finding of certain tutorials. :)
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 12 Jun 2016 00:59

Thanks!

Where do you install TRNG? Anywhere? Or in the same folder as the original trle?

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Titak

Post by Titak » 12 Jun 2016 12:46

In the same folder as the TRLE. :D

Important when scripting with TRNG: you have to use NG-Center for it.
But that is included in the TRNG download.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 12 Jun 2016 13:05

Ahh thanks. I had a little mess around on the original editor last night and it's amazing how much i actually remembered after 10 years!

Are there any beginner guides to using the trng? Also, when i install trng do i literally just install all of it in the core design/trle folder? Do i overwrite the tomb 4 and other files etc? Thanks titak!

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Titak

Post by Titak » 12 Jun 2016 16:25

You can check the TRNG tutorials over at TRF.
There's also manuals in there.

(link is in my first reply)

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 12 Jun 2016 17:46

I also found this page to be helpful: http://www.trlevelmanager.net/demos.htm

It contains downloadable demos from the creator about many TRNG features. I found this to be a nice way to break into coding various script commands - especially the animation tutorial.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 12 Jun 2016 19:37

I actually cannot believe how complicated this whole installation process is for the trng! I don't know whether is it because i have Windows 10 or i am just not doing it correctly. I have been receiving so many error messages aon literally everything i try to install. I have been at it all day lol. And i haven't managed to install everything yet. I'm still unsure about what i should install in the core design/trle folder.

So i install the original trle in the program files/core design/trle folder, along with all the revised wads etc. Do i just install the trng in a separate folder? Do i cooy the tomb 4.exe from the trng folder over to the core design/trle folder?

Wow things have changed since the last time i was here haha.

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 12 Jun 2016 21:30

Now i keep getting the error message 'run time error 76' whilst trying to install trng installer :(

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 12 Jun 2016 21:51

Tomb Raider Fan wrote:So i install the original trle in the program files/core design/trle folder, along with all the revised wads etc.
Yes....
Tomb Raider Fan wrote:Do i just install the trng in a separate folder? Do i cooy the tomb 4.exe from the trng folder over to the core design/trle folder?
...and no. Just install TRNG in the \trle folder, not in a subdirectory. If you do so, there should be no need to copy anything over.

Yes, I remember very well that the installation process was a bit of a bumpy ride, and pretty much everybody says so. Windows 10 gives additional problems, or so I've heard. I'm on Windows 7 and got everything to run smoothly (as will you)—eventually (which is the operative word here), :D but it's been a while, so I sadly don't remember the details.
Last edited by Mulf on 12 Jun 2016 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 12 Jun 2016 22:07

Followed the trng installation guide and i just cannot install trng. It always gives me the error message 'runtime error 53'. And i am unable to install it!

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 12 Jun 2016 23:05

Ok so this is what i am doing.

Installing the original trle along with the new wads, angkor wads and updated wads into it's original location.

Downloading wadmerger and placing it in the trle folder. Then i am downloading trng and running the setup.exe and installing it in the trle folder. All is good.

Then i am choosing the tr_installer.exe and it tells me to make sure all the locations of files and folders are correct (which they are) then i attempt to install it in the trle folder and it gives me the runtime 53 error. No idea what to do!

Tomb - Raider - Fan

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 12 Jun 2016 23:35

I installed it 6 months ago or so, I also got some errors (I can't remember what they were exactly) but I managed to get a partial install. What I did from there was manually copy + paste the remaining missing tools + files from the downloaded folder (mine was called trng_mk4_setup_assistant) into what I thought was the appropriate place, and it seemed to work out OK.

You should try running the installer with admin priviledges, if you haven't already. But if you keep having issues with the installer, consider working around it. I think all the installer does is just copy files to their appropriate place, it doesn't perform any programmatic extractions or service installs as far as I know, so I don't imagine it being a big issue if you take it upon yourself to give it a try.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 13 Jun 2016 00:53

Thanks.

Pretty sure i've installed everything correctly now. Woohoo! All programs work open without any error messages. The ng center is up to date. The trng editor, wadmerger and strpix all open without a problem! Now i've just go to study some basic trng stuff haha. Think i might start working on a simple level with all the original textures and wads to get me started. Thanks everyone!

Edit: The only problem i have now is that the editor is really slow. It's basically unusable. You can navigate the room wuite easily when there are no objects or textures in it. But a full room with everything in it, you can't even rotate the room. Any ideas? I've used the mouse patch to patch the editor but it didn't help with the speed of the editor. I've just tried to build an 6x6 room and textured it and put lara in it and a scorpion and i could hardly rotate it!

Tomb - Raider - Fan