Is it worth it to build?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

reborn1995

Is it worth it to build?

Post by reborn1995 » 26 Mar 2016 18:45

I've been playing all your levels for years, but never built one myself. I vaguely remember starting the level editor tutorial years ago but never finishing. Is it really worth it to learn how to build? The way you guys all talk makes it seem so incredibly time consuming to build anything worth playing. I have some ideas for stories/locations. But I'm always dissuaded when I see you guys use so much "builder-speak" (wads, FMV's, etc.) that's just gibberish to me. Seems like it would be months of learning before I even got a chance to build my ideas.

Is it really worth the trouble? How much trouble is it really? How many hours of work do good levels represent?

--guy
Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. -Mr. Magorium

QRS
Admin
Admin

Re: Is it worth it to build?

Post by QRS » 26 Mar 2016 20:27

It all depends on how fun you think the process is. If you like it, it will just be loads of fun and a lot of cool challenges etc. If you generelly find it hard to overcome hurdles and obstacles and just want to be done with it quick, well then it might not be for you. Becaus you WILL face problems...kind of all the time, even when you know a lot!

It is a steep curve to learn and alot to know before you could release something, even something really bad! :) My suggestion is just to try it out! If you find it fun and interesting and challenging after a while, just keep doing it. Eventually you have started building and know enough to build. And then it is hard to stop hehe :)

Same thing as my guitar teacher once said to me. If you can't find 30 min/day to practice this might not be for you. But after a while I could fit in hours/day in my "tight" schedule...just because it was really fun and interessting all of a sudden. Not just work :)

I guess it is not for everyone. Building that is...but you don't know until you really try!

Playing a lot of level gives you a lot of help when you can build later on. To understand ideas and implement them etc.

Wish you good luck!!!

EDIT: Oh and YES! It is worth the "trouble"! Because you will (Hopefully) not think of it as trouble after a while :)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 26 Mar 2016 23:22

Well, you tempt me somewhat. i just have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. If i were to get started, should i just go through the classic LE tutorial? Or is that super outdated at this point? Also, if i see things in other people's levels that i like, is it possible to use them in my own levels?

You play guitar? What kind of stuff do you play? What are your chops like? i taught guitar for about 15 years. i haven't in quite a while though, and ever since i got my new job, i don't get many chances to play at all. Here's the last promo video i made for the studio where i worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrpwMtBR1kk

Titak

Post by Titak » 27 Mar 2016 14:53

I'm agreeing with QRS but wanted to put in my 2 cents anyway. :D

It is indeed best to start with the original LE Tutorial.
Why? Because it will teach you all the basics. And the basics is something you need to know before going on to more advanced stuff. Otherwise you'll just get frustrated a lot I think.
Can't run before you can stand up straight either, right?

Back when I first learned to use the TRLE, all we could use was the stuff that was included with the TRLE.
It took me about 3 months to make a level with those assets. But I did not work on it all day long ofcourse.
So if you are, at least at first, content with using assets you can get from the classic games and the resources sites (TR Search Engine and Lara's Levelbase) you should be able to put together a decent level in a couple of months.
All depending on how much time you can spend on building ofcourse.

So, for starters, it is best to start with a one-level game. Or 2 levels at the most.
Nothing too big or too complicated. Take time to get to know the basics of the editor.
Just so you know what the limitations and workflows are.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 27 Mar 2016 21:24

Do you know if the Windows XP/Vista version of TRLE will work for me even if i'm running Windows 7 (64 bit)?

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 28 Mar 2016 18:23

Reborn: I mostly play 5 string banjo these days. Not really good at string instruments though, just decent. I play mostly trad music, like irish, old time american etc.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 31 Mar 2016 20:48

Well, i haven't found any way to make the program compatible with Windows 7 (64bit). Sadly, i'm going to take that as a sign that maybe building isn't for me.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 31 Mar 2016 22:38

Don't give up so easily. I'm sure there are plenty of builders who have built on Win7 64 bit. Should just be a matter of right-click the propeties of the editor's exe and checking run as administrator and possibly run as winXP service pack 2 or 3.

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 01 Apr 2016 19:39

Well, I wasn't even able to install LE in the first place because it said the correct version of Windows wasn't detected. Where to go from there?

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 01 Apr 2016 20:32

If you're a member of Tomb Raider Forums, I suggest asking there. I'm pretty certain people there can talk you through the installation process. I'm 100% certain that it's possible to install the Level Editor on Win7 64 bit - after all, Win7 is several years old by this point - most people have it or even newer versions (I'm one of the rare idiots still using Vista :-P ).

Titak

Post by Titak » 02 Apr 2016 15:51

It's running fine here on my Win7 64bit PC.
So it is indeed possible.

I have the editor on the official disk that came with my copy of TRC, so I'm not sure how a downloaded version would work or if it makes any difference.
Either way, I also get the bad windows version thing, but then it installs anyway.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.