Thoughts on deliberately using only original wads/textures?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Zreen

Thoughts on deliberately using only original wads/textures?

Post by Zreen » 26 Mar 2016 13:16

Hello, I was wondering what the community's thoughts were on levels that only used the pre-installed trle wads and textures, such as tut1 through city with no additions and staying with 64x64 textures. I guess what I really want to ask is in this modern day, how would this be received, and would it be reviewed using today's graphical standards or 2001's due to the deliberate use of the original resources?

JesseG

Re: Thoughts on deliberately using only original wads/textur

Post by JesseG » 26 Mar 2016 14:39

This might be better suited for the reviewer forum, from which I would refer to here . This thread contains a little discussion in the first couple of pages about viewing 2001 levels through "2015 eyes" which I think relevant to your question. I know there have been other threads about it too, not sure if they were purged or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!

I think the majority view is that it's not so much about the stuff that is used, but how you use it. I think you will always be able to find ways to "wow" the players. The way that happens can change based on the textures + objects used, but it doesn't go away. :)

Zreen

Post by Zreen » 26 Mar 2016 15:50

JesseG wrote:This might be better suited for the reviewer forum, from which I would refer to here . This thread contains a little discussion in the first couple of pages about viewing 2001 levels through "2015 eyes" which I think relevant to your question. I know there have been other threads about it too, not sure if they were purged or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!

I think the majority view is that it's not so much about the stuff that is used, but how you use it. I think you will always be able to find ways to "wow" the players. The way that happens can change based on the textures + objects used, but it doesn't go away. :)
Thank you, that answers it. I was also looking for similar threads but did not find anything useful.

Titak

Post by Titak » 26 Mar 2016 17:53

it's not so much about the stuff that is used, but how you use it.
This.
A classic level can be really good if gameplay is well thought out, if the atmosphere is spot on, if the objects and textures are well used.

I've seen classic levels which are much better than levels with high res textures and detailed objects. If those high-res textures and detailed objects are not used well, you still end up with a crappy level.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 26 Mar 2016 20:33

Just play some of Titak's older levels and you will see that HQ textures doesn't mean much when it comes to fantastic looking levels :)

From a builders perspective I kind of find it hard to see the small 64x64 tiles these days though! Haha but that is another story :)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Titak

Post by Titak » 27 Mar 2016 14:55

^
Thanks. :D

Needing glasses these days? :-P
I'll probably be needing new ones myself soon... It's been stable for more than 10 years, but it looks like I'll be needing additional reading glasses soon. :(
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 27 Mar 2016 18:06

QRS wrote:From a builders perspective I kind of find it hard to see the small 64x64 tiles these days though! Haha but that is another story :)
Sponge uses 64x64 when he finds 128x128 unnecessary, and blends both the way you won't notice. But using a mixture of sizes creates loads of "custom shapes" any time you step off the grid.

But while textures like grass, rock or sand are supposed to repeat and are never boring by default, then it may be different with the wad objects. Notice the original wads were NOT designed for Back to Basics and a lot of content is just unique. Thus it's almost impossible to make another pushable statue of Seth which would be interesting, yet newbie builders keep trying, and as a result this object is arguably the most overused pushable ever.

That might be the reason why I noticed some reviewers lower they scores for lack of new objects, but I never heard any of them deducing points for lack of new textures.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 28 Mar 2016 18:21

Titak wrote:^
Needing glasses these days? :-P
I'll probably be needing new ones myself soon... It's been stable for more than 10 years, but it looks like I'll be needing additional reading glasses soon. :(
You bet I do! :( Heck, without my reading glasses I can hardly see anything these days :( And just 2-3 years ago I had no problems at all. It sucks getting old meh :)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 01 Apr 2016 19:10

I think it's perfectly possible to build great levels with just the wad and textures provided with the original TRLE. For example, check out Mr XY's awesome level Aqua Sanctuary - it looks great (despite the 64x64 textures) and has great gameplay, and is built with a mix of objects and textures from the TRLE resources. As you can tell from the scores, no one had a problem with the use of 15+ year-old resources.

Admittedly, it might be a little harder to build a level using only one TRLE wad, no matter which one, as they tend to be very limited (for example, some lack a horizon object, some lack pushable objects, some lack switches that can be used for timed runs, etc.). Not that it can't be done, of course, but it's just harder. If you're open to a little mixing and matching of objects from two or more wads, you should be able to build almost any kind of level with it. The most important part is your own creativity. :)