HELP

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Leona

Re: HELP

Post by Leona » 12 Apr 2016 12:56

It's a key. I tested something out. I placed a object (crossbow) under a baddy. Of course, he leaves the crossbow when he's killed. I tried the same thing for the small scorpion, it works too. I did the same thing for the scorpion (the big one) it didn't work, as I used the same method for the previous two enemies. But nevermind I hid the key somewhere else, except the scorpion dropping it in my level.
"Right now, crazy is all we got"

Leona

Post by Leona » 19 Apr 2016 21:44

How do I kill a BADDY under teeth spikes? I already tried but it doesn't work. I put a BADDY on waiting position and pull a switch that activates the spikes. They don't actually kill the enemy? :blank:

Titak

Post by Titak » 20 Apr 2016 17:46

Nothing other than Lara or the TROOPS slot can kill enemies, as far as I know.

But it would be interesting to try and find a way using TRNG.
My first thought would be to use a "touch" condition, like "if the spikes touch enemy **". But it seems all "touch" conditions involve Lara. :thinking:

Rollingballs can now be given OCB2 and they will then kill enemies, but teethspikes don't have any new OCB codes (only that one script which makes them like old school spikes which Lara can carefully walk through).
Perhaps instead of the spikes you could use a rollingball? :thinking:
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 21 Apr 2016 04:38

I've never done something like that myself, but I do recall a level where some SCORPION enemies were killed by throwing a lever at the right time to activate spikes, which killed the scorpions if they were above the spikes. I believe it was "An adventure". What I don't know is if they used some NG feature to pull it off or not. The scorpion does seem to be unique in several ways...

Of course, with TRNG you could just trigger the spikes and have the enemy die at the same time, so it *looks* like it killed them :idea: but that might depend on your setup.

Leona

Post by Leona » 21 Apr 2016 07:37

with TRNG you could just trigger the spikes and have the enemy die at the same time, so it *looks* like it killed them
Yeah I did that before, but the enemy was supposed to drop an item and the flipeffect that kills all the enemys with no dying sounds, makes the enemy disappear, with leaving no items to pick up. :dunno:

Titak

Post by Titak » 21 Apr 2016 10:19

Then make the item visible at the same time as well.
And if making it invisible/visible does not work, move it away at the start of the level and then move it instantly back when the spikes go out and the enemy is killed. :D
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 26 Apr 2016 19:51

Just my imput (note, I've never used TRNG, but still works with the original editor and its quirks):

QRS (I think) once discovered that the scorpion (large one) doesn't give up its goodies. I think it's because of that cutscene/secret in TR4, where Lara saves a troops from being killed by a scorpion. He then gives her his keys to some storage rooms. I just checked the level. The keys, the troops and the scorpion are all placed on the same block. If Lara doesn't save the troops, the cutscene doesn't play, and Lara doesn't get the keys.

So if you want an enemy in the scorpion slot to seem to leave something after death, I would suggest a workaround. Put the goodies on a block the enemy is likely to move over during a fight and make them invisible. Then you have to use the enemy as a "switch" to use for a switch-trigger, that triggers the goodies to become visible. Do your best to avoid, that the enemy itself moves over the blocks with the trigger.

You have to know, that objects and triggers in general don't have to be on the same blocks. So the goodies don't need the trigger for them to be on the same block as they are on. And the enemy doesn't have to be on the blocks, the switch-trigger is placed on - it may actually crash the game, if that happens. It is Lara, that must activate the trigger, but first after the enemy is dead.

So make a switch-trigger, where Lara will pass after the fight, and select the enemy as the switch. Place an ordinary trigger for the goodies on the same blocks as the switch-trigger.

Result: Lara meets enemy, Lara kills enemy, Lara passes over trigger for goodies, and goodies appear. Does my explanation make sense? Perhaps TRNG offers a solution along the same lines, and others can help you with this. Perhaps a global trigger with the condition, that the enemy is killed?

Leona

Post by Leona » 28 Apr 2016 15:44

Released a level 9 days ago and already working on two levels, but I'm more focused on my Egyptian-based one. :D
I plan it to be a 40 or an hour gameplay, and now it's 4 minutes long when I play it. So it is an Egyptian level (something very similar from the tutorial project Egyptian Dream) I'm not sure should I make bigger rooms or smaller. I don't want a player to run around in small areas nothing to do. Any ideas like what kind of traps should I use, what kind of gameplay should it be, how do I make tougher and harder puzzles etc... I stopped a while because I don't have any inspiration and I am asking help from you. :) :)

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 29 Apr 2016 23:04

One habit I have started recently is to start with sketching a "skeleton" for the level I want to build. It is like a general blueprint for how the level should be structured. I would take different areas and label them - like "burial chambers", "caves" etc. The idea is that each area should have a purpose for existing. This really helps when it comes to texturing and picking out what objects to use - which in turn can become inspiration for puzzles. The more areas you come up with, the longer your level will be, and as long as the areas are distinct from each other it shouldn't have a repetitive feel. It might be a good idea to start with the main goal of the level first and build the rest of the "skeleton" around that.

If you have trouble brainstorming, visit larasbase or TRSearch and look at different textures and objects available there. Maybe that will help inspire what kind of areas you want in your level.

This line of thinking is inspired by that "eye sore" feeling I've gotten from certain levels where I keep seeing the same textures and areas over and over again. Even if it looks pretty, if I don't get a sense of purpose from the different rooms I go through, I don't feel as immersed. Sometimes the problem is confounded when the level has 8 different keyholes/puzzles that look similar and I can't remember where a certain one should go because the entire level blends together in my memory...it's just less fun and more of a headache. On top of all that, if there is a lot of backtracking required that also makes things worse.

Leona

Post by Leona » 30 Apr 2016 06:07

I really don't understand how some of the reviews on my level say "No finish trigger" ? After I test my level a thousand times, it has a finish trigger. Does it delete or.. :huh2:

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 01 May 2016 01:06

Always get a beta tester to test your level before a release. People play in different ways and may not have played your level in the way you expected them to.

Leona

Post by Leona » 08 May 2016 10:28

How do I fix this? http://imgur.com/a/j1BDO

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 09 May 2016 03:41

You either need to increase the draw distance, or re-architect the room such that Lara can't see that many squares away from her.

I found this post about increasing the draw distance, looks like you can use LevelFarView and WorldFarView:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpos ... ostcount=5

Leona

Post by Leona » 13 May 2016 18:56

How do I make a smooth transition from a room to another with lightning and effect bulbs. Example. I have an orange lighting adjusted room, the room next to it which will Lara come in is blue lightning adjusted. How to make a smooth transition from the orange room to the blue room with light?

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 14 May 2016 15:26

If you have the colors coming from the ambient light, there isn't much you can do. I generally only use very soft ambient light for this reason. Try to make all of the color come from your lightbulbs instead, and then you can position them away from the door and play around with the settings of the bulbs (intensity, inner and outer light) until it looks good.

While I'm on the subject I also recommend adding a sun bulb to each room. It is an easy way to add an extra dimension to the lighting so it feels less flat. You will definitely see the difference on Lara. Just make sure there's only ONE sun bulb in each room (more than one is not allowed).