HELP

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Leona

HELP

Post by Leona » 18 Mar 2016 12:50

Is there a way to set an object on fire? The object I want to set on fire is a "DEBRIS4" so is there a way to set something on fire? :D :D
"Right now, crazy is all we got"

Titak

Re: HELP

Post by Titak » 18 Mar 2016 18:03

How do you want to set it on fire?
If it is with the torch you can place a flame-emitter on the static. Lara should then light the emitter with the burning torch and it'll look as if the static is on fire. :)
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Leona

Post by Leona » 19 Mar 2016 14:18

Thanks. :2thumbsup:
Also how do I trigger a camera showing a door opening when I pull a switch? And I need help with triggering a flipmap with a switch too.

I want to start fire the familiar way like in The Frozen Throne.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 19 Mar 2016 14:48

The best advice I can give you is to read the manual and study the tutorial. A camera and a camera target has to be placed at the door. The triggers for both of these items should be placed at the switch.
Of doggie candle fame!

Leona

Post by Leona » 19 Mar 2016 15:15

How did I not think of that method before? :duh: That's the same way for doors! (right?)

I don't think I saw this in the manual. The flame emitters are disabled in flipped rooms, can I get them working in flipped rooms? I was reading a TR tutorial, Flipmaps - Advanced.
There's a sentence "Make your first flip map (the switches room) and place an ordinary trigger for it on each of the four levers." How can I flip map the switches room if there's flame emitters? They will be immediately removed.
I'm seriously gonna punch myself if I missed this in the manual (if that's placed in the manual too) :blank: :blank:

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 20 Mar 2016 03:28

I think when you say "The flame emitters are disabled in flipped rooms" you are referring to how they disappear when you view the flipped room in the editor, this is misleading you. The editor only shows most objects in the unflipped room - but in the actual game those objects will exist in both the unflipped and flipped rooms. So you have to use your imagination when working with flipped rooms and pretend those objects will be there, because in the game they will. :)

So for instance you can view the unflipped room, click on the flame emitter in the editor, then view the flipped room and place a trigger down. Even though you can't see the object there in the flipped room, the trigger will still work (once the room is flipped) and the flame will ignite.

Leona

Post by Leona » 20 Mar 2016 08:37

Thanks! :D
What about placing non static objects in flipped rooms? Is it the same way for flame emitters? Or you really can't place non static objects in flipped rooms?
I tried making a room with an underwater switch. So in another room (which is above the underwater switch room) I placed a switch which will turn the underwater switch room into a water room, but when I flipped that room which was supposed to be a water room, the underwater switch removed. I tried to put it back. It says "Cannot put non static objects in flipped rooms".

Titak

Post by Titak » 20 Mar 2016 14:02

As JesseG already mentioned, objects might be "removed" from the flipped room in the editor, but they will be visible ingame once the room has been flipped there.
This is an editor thing: static objects do stay visible in a flipped room in the editor, moveables don't.

So the switch is still there ingame.
If you want to place a trigger for the switch in the flipped room, you can simply select the switch in the unflipped room, go to the flipped room and place the trigger like you woudl usually do.

Leona

Post by Leona » 20 Mar 2016 15:08

I actually posted this before I figured it out myself :D :anxious:
There's something I want to learn. In "The Frozen Throne" Lara wakes up in an ice cave and needs to warm up. She gets some wood and makes a fire in the campsite. How did the builder do this? I wanted to do the same in my upcoming level but since I didn't knew how to do that I didn't even put it in. Also how did the builder put a bar in the left corner falling down because it's cold to Lara? And where did the builder get that wood, did he made it by himself, or is it available on trsearch.org?
I ask too many questions and I probably will even more. :D

Titak

Post by Titak » 22 Mar 2016 16:56

That builder, Teme9, made all objects in that level himself.
But you may be able to find some wood objects TR Search Engine or Lara's Levelbase.

As for the bar, I can't remember if it is a custom bar to represent "cold" or if it was her regular healthbar which slowly decreases.
Decreasing is done by a simple flipeffect trigger if it is the health bar decreasing (flipeffect to take away ** health)
Once the fire is burning, this flipeffect is stopped.
Or, in the case of "The Frozen Throne" it is changed to "if Lara's distance to flame-emitter is more than *** sectors start decreasing health again, if Lara's distance to burning flame-emitter is less than ** sectors, start increasing Lara's health again untill it is fully restored." if I remember correctly.

If it is a custom bar, you can probably find more about it in the TRF Tutorials section: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpos ... ostcount=3
Depending on what you want, the whole setup can become more complicated.

Since I am not the author of "The Frozen Throne" I can't tell for sure if the above setup is used, but this is where I would start looking. :D

Leona

Post by Leona » 23 Mar 2016 17:20

As for the bar, I can't remember if it is a custom bar to represent "cold" or if it was her regular healthbar which slowly decreases.
The custom bar represents the cold.

I am really mad right now. Since I broke my script I deinstalled my TRLE and installed it again. My saved wad and project was lost so I couldn't continue working on my level. I am starting to get newer ideas for another project and one level takes place in a jungle. I don't know how should I start building it. I took a look in TR3 to see and maybe get an idea on how should I start a level, but everytime I try to texture a room with leaves it looks like I just clicked "Texture floor" or "Texture ceiling" :angry:
What I mean is, that I need tips and help building jungle and outdoor area. I mostly try to get inspiration from Jungle Ruins. Oh and I need help making a waterfall, like a textured one in the editor, not an object.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 24 Mar 2016 14:44

I would suggest you play some of the "jungle" themed games and have a look around to see what techniques the builders used in creating their venues.
Of doggie candle fame!

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 24 Mar 2016 22:32

Outdoor areas are always something I find quite challenging to make! :? But I do have a couple things come to mind in terms of geometry:

One is a tip I remember a builder sharing some time ago: avoid 90 degree angles as much as possible. That can help your place feel less "boxy".

Also here is a tutorial about a technique for building caves, which may or may not be relevant to your jungle. Who knows, you might be able to find ways to apply this in other places besides caves too!
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=211867

justin

Post by justin » 25 Mar 2016 03:14

JesseG wrote:Outdoor areas are always something I find quite challenging to make! :? But I do have a couple things come to mind in terms of geometry:

One is a tip I remember a builder sharing some time ago: avoid 90 degree angles as much as possible. That can help your place feel less "boxy".

Also here is a tutorial about a technique for building caves, which may or may not be relevant to your jungle. Who knows, you might be able to find ways to apply this in other places besides caves too!
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=211867
Perfectly simple and effective. The cave-method lends very well to any organic area (such as creating non-flat cliff walls), so this is a great suggestion :)
Dark Skies loom...

Leona

Post by Leona » 25 Mar 2016 09:04

Thanks for the tips! :D
I have the jungle texture set of TR3 and I read a tutorial on how to make a tree TR3 style. I feel like there aren't enough textures for a tree? In that tutorial, George used different textures for a tree. Is there a different texture set (Jungle) that I can download somewhere? Or I just think there aren't many textures for a TR3 style tree? Also my jungle texture set has a "transparent leaf" but when I place it in the game just like George explained, it isn't transparent at all, it just looks like a texture when you load it in the editor. And what I mean is that the one side of the texture transparent leaf is a leaf and the other is just black, not transparent.

This is the tutorial I've read: http://www.tomb-raider-editor.com/engli ... ees-en.php