builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Connecting rooms and aesthetics

Post by Hitsumei » 23 Feb 2016 16:36

Hello everyone.

So I'm trying to connect two rooms, with one room with a ceiling of 12 and a floor of 0, and the other room with a ceiling of 6 and a floor of 0. When I try to connect the two, an ugly wall texture appears above the door.

How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

JesseG

Re: Connecting rooms and aesthetics

Post by JesseG » 23 Feb 2016 23:33

I assume you have the rooms side-by-side to each other. That wall that is appearing is because the ceiling is higher in one room than another. Something has to exist between the two ceiling heights, right? You must have a wall of 6 clicks which as you noted will look ugly and distorted.

You have a few options to make it look better:
  • Select the wall and press F several times until you see the ceiling line appear. (Press R to raise the line instead of lowering it) This helps you partition the wall and you won't have distorted textures anymore. (for instance you could have a 4-click section with a 2-click section above).*
  • Lower the ceiling tiles in front of that wall. You can make a series of slopes that gradually connect the two ceiling heights, this is another way to make it look more aesthetically pleasing.
*By the way, there is a "floor line" equivalent that is controlled with the E and D buttons. This can be used for walls beneath a door.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Connecting rooms and aesthetics

Post by Hitsumei » 24 Feb 2016 03:24

Thank you Jesse for your response. It did solve my problem! :)
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"