General Level Editing Thread

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

General Level Editing Thread

Post by DJ Full » 31 Aug 2014 18:46

Our forum was rather player-directed so we barely needed such thread until now. However I noticed single-question threads are recently breeding like rabbits, starting to get out of control (if they ever were under any). In this situation, let's bring in the habit from the blue forum to gather all those issues in a single spot.

Let me start with this, because I currently have a bunch of questions that don't belong together in any way, so they would require many separate threads to avoid confusion if they were asked the old way:

1. How do You disable pushable function when the object is on its target already? I saw such feature in the first Curse of Winter and it would be useful for me to replicate it.

2. How to disable opening the KICK_DOOR or PUSHPULL_DOOR with Action but maintain possibility to open it with a trigger? I mean the way You do it using a SPRINKLER from tulun.wad (and I've seen this in several custom levels as well).

3. Finally, are there any remote ways to set big fires like BURNING_FLOOR or FIREROPE? So Lara wouldn't need to get a torch for this, but the fire could spread itself like it naturally does?

Thanks for advance for all help :)
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Dwight

Re: General Level Editing Thread

Post by Dwight » 31 Aug 2014 20:08

1. Not sure if I co0mpletely understand this question, but... I'm guessing.... use of GT/TG pushable reaches a certain spot? :?

2. You can transfer the KICK_DOOR/PUSHPULL_DOOR into a regular DOOR_TYPE slot. not sure if you physically disable it. On the tulun.wad file, that door is IN the DOOR_TYPE4 slot, not in the KICK_DOOR/or the PUSHPULL_DOOR slot. :wink:

3. There is no physically ways, only the ways of customizing flame emitters as explained here. (sadly :( )

http://www.skribblerz.com/tutflames.htm
If a condition says it is true, and if a condition claims it is true; the condition IS true." ------ Dwight Clemons

Titak

Post by Titak » 01 Sep 2014 18:41

Well... the easy way would be to change the OCB of the pushable with the trigger for that.
Unfortunately that trick is not savegameproof, as I have found out in one of my own levels. :cry:

As a workaround I've used the Action>Move triggers to move the actual pushable instantly out of the way, and at the same time instantly move another pushable (with an non-pushable/non-pulleable OCB) in its place. All triggered, with a TriggerGroup from teh script if you want, on the tile where you have to place the pushable.

Pushable 1 - can be pushed and pulled.
Pushable 2 - is placed somewhere in the same room and is then moved away, either into a wall or floor or ceiling, the moment the level starts.

On the triggertile -
Place a heavy-actiontrigger for moving pushable1 away (either into wall, floor or ceiling).
Place a regluar trigger for action>move triggers to move pushable2 to the triggertile.

Pushable2 is ofcourse an exact copy of pushable1, unless you want it to "change" because it was pushed onto the correct tile.

Other workaroudns might be possible but in some more complicated setup I found this moving of objects to work best. :D
Lara won't be pushaed around with the instant moving actions so no problems there.
The only thing that might happen is a very slight shift in lighting of the object.

Dwight is right in saying that the tulun door that is opened when the sprinkler is activated is a regular door, not a push-pull door.
Not sure though how a push-pull door behaves when it is simply copied into a regular door wad. Some objects go a bit gaga when copied to other slots...

Very interesting question.
No idea though.
Perhaps there's something usefull regarding the burning-floor and the firerope in AkyV's tutorial on hidden triggers: http://www.skribblerz.com/tuts/ngle/ngl ... iggers.htm :think:
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

A_De

Post by A_De » 02 Sep 2014 21:12

@Dj_Full: i like your idea about general questions thread.
I'm being away from LE for a while and cannot check some things myself. However i try to make a gameplay schema as detailed as possible. My question is about train level. I'd like to know if we can have more than four baddies riding on the enemy_jeep. And is it possible to have semi-transparent textures which scrolling correctly in train level?

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 03 Sep 2014 16:57

Concerning the semi-transparent textures in a train-level: I tried that in the old editor and it works. But it requires two things:

1. Make a room for scrolling textures and apply a set with semi-transparence set (aside from the usual opaque set) on the floor.

2. Make a room below height zero and add some lighting there (possible also some textures). Because as long as the game engine automatically places the textures in that arrangement that looks like a railroad-track against a pitch-black void, the textures will look opaque. So you have to give your semi-transparent textures some kind of background to make them show their semi-transparence.

Does this make sense?

A_De

Post by A_De » 03 Sep 2014 17:57

@Fluen: thank you, I'll try to add light in that separate room. The problem is a bit different though. When those textures applied to room in opaque mode they scroll as they should. But in transparent mode they scroll always perpendicular to railroad, no matter how they turned in room.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 08 Sep 2014 18:25

Most peculiar. :-o

Have you made sure the textures have the correct orientation in the tga-file itself?

You have to be aware that the game engine inserts the scrolling textures by itself to look like a railroad - have you for some reason built your rooms 90 degrees rotated to that railroad?

A_De

Post by A_De » 08 Sep 2014 20:46

Not sure to be honest. Using a train tutorial project from trsearch as a reference, and there textures are turned -90 indeed. Probably my custom textures in tga aren't turned correctly and this causes problem in transparent mode. I'll check this, thank you again :)

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 09 Sep 2014 11:03

Well I don`t want to open another thread so I ask here :-P
Sometimes when shatterable object has heavytrigger under it, and when Lara shoots it it doesn`t trigger the heavytrigger thats because sometimes object doesn`t shatter but "dissapear".... my question is why is this happening? what causes this bug? and how to avoid it?
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 09 Sep 2014 12:49

Anybody know how to create a light that flickers, sort of like the submarine level in Tomb Raider Chronicles when Lara finds a battery pack? I know it'll involve some sort of flip map or something.
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
-Paul Valery

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Sep 2014 15:45

OverRaider wrote:Well I don`t want to open another thread so I ask here :-P
That was the point :-P
OverRaider wrote:Sometimes when shatterable object has heavytrigger under it, and when Lara shoots it it doesn`t trigger the heavytrigger thats because sometimes object doesn`t shatter but "dissapear"
That happened in my Trash game where I had really a LOT of shatters (about 50 of them) and most of them were high-polygon, high-resolution crates (Nadine's REALLY detailed stuff :D ). So my guess is in some of such cases the explosion mask doesn't appear because of the data overload - and the engine likely doesn't know the object was shattered. Use simplier shatters in complex locations and whenever a lot of sprites work in the background (fires burning, rain falling, waterfalls flowing and so on are all very memory-eating). If You have just the architecture and little amount of effects, You can go with the HQ destruction. See if that helps.
larabiker301 wrote:Anybody know how to create a light that flickers, sort of like the submarine level in Tomb Raider Chronicles when Lara finds a battery pack? I know it'll involve some sort of flip map or something.
Organizer= script command with FO_TICK_TIME flag for better realism, and + FO_LOOP flag to work endlessly. Activating several flipmap/flipoff triggergroups in random time intervals (e.g. 12 frames, 2 frames, 5 frames, 20 and so on).
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 09 Sep 2014 16:46

Thanks fot the info DJFull :2thumbsup:

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 11 Sep 2014 11:51

Here's a little of my contribution to this thread.
- If you have no idea where to start or if you think your game sucks in terms of having nothing to do... http://skribblerz.com/tuts/tuts2/Gameplaytutorial.htm
- If you need to spice up your game...http://skribblerz.com/tuts/tuts2/Gameplaytutorial2.htm
- If you need help setting up pushblocks...http://skribblerz.com/tuts/ngle/nglepushables.htm
^Thanks DJ.
-Paul Valery

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 12 Sep 2014 02:16

Does anyone remember how to change the title screen's logo? I've tried Skribblerz's site but they didn't have any tutorial. I completely forgot how, then again, I've never tried. :)
-Paul Valery

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 12 Sep 2014 02:22

Try TRCustomScreens :wink:

EDIT: http://driber.net/trlefaq/#tools_links
Last edited by OverRaider on 12 Sep 2014 02:23, edited 1 time in total.