Health bar position/animation/coloration

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Dwight

Health bar position/animation/coloration

Post by Dwight » 09 Jul 2014 01:10

Is there a specific script command in TRNG to set the position of Lara's health bar? I want to have it in the center.

Also, is there a way to have the health bar animated when it shows it when Lara draws her weapons?

And lastly, is it possible to have the health bar fade into another color, like TR3 and TR2's health bar?
If a condition says it is true, and if a condition claims it is true; the condition IS true." ------ Dwight Clemons

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Health bar position/animation/coloration

Post by snork » 09 Jul 2014 01:21

hej,

this has just been discussed about here, : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28508
hope that helps
I want to have it in the center.
not sure if this is really a good idea ? :?

personally I would not like it.
then again what do I know.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 09 Jul 2014 01:42

Why wouldn't you like it? Would it be to hard to see, or something?
If a condition says it is true, and if a condition claims it is true; the condition IS true." ------ Dwight Clemons

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 09 Jul 2014 02:35

That is probably just me - I do not like anything to be in the way, of me enjoying the clear view to the level itself.

Old trle games I play with a tomb4.exe patched myself, making bars much smaller in height - so I can see more of the (gorgeous) level itself.
Same goes for "ammo unlimited" message onscreen and such - I know that, don't need to see that on screen all the time.

But that is really just me, and my perception may well be a minority one.
I do not want to keep you from doing how you want to do it. It is your game. And usually variety in how things are done is actually one of the things I appreciate in trle games. :angel:
Just to incite maybe thinking about it twice - if then your decision is "nah, I want huge healthbar in center of the screen" -then by all means go and do that.
Who knows, maybe it/you convince/s even me. 8)

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 09 Jul 2014 02:47

snork wrote:Same goes for "ammo unlimited" message onscreen and such - I know that, don't need to see that on screen all the time.
I agree with that, because that`s relatively useless, but for example to show on screen that you have 12 ammo for shotgun or 350 ammo for uzi might be useful :D
China Parks wrote:Why wouldn't you like it? Would it be to hard to see, or something?
Hi China Parks, it depends what you mean by that "I want to have it in the center"...do you mean in the center of the upper screen or in the exact center of the whole screen?
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 09 Jul 2014 04:17

OverRaider wrote:
snork wrote:Same goes for "ammo unlimited" message onscreen and such - I know that, don't need to see that on screen all the time.
I agree with that, because that`s relatively useless, but for example to show on screen that you have 12 ammo for shotgun or 350 ammo for uzi might be useful :D
China Parks wrote:Why wouldn't you like it? Would it be to hard to see, or something?
Hi China Parks, it depends what you mean by that "I want to have it in the center"...do you mean in the center of the upper screen or in the exact center of the whole screen?
Yes, I want to have it at the top center And I wasn't going to have the bar really BIG and FAT. :D Or have it drawn infinitely. Just at the Top Center :)

Titak

Post by Titak » 09 Jul 2014 13:20

OverRaider wrote:
I agree with you both here.
Problem is that you can't pick which weapon's ammo will show up in the ammo counter and which not.
So if you decide to have the ammo counter visible on screen you'll have to live with the fact that it will also show unlimited pistols ammo. :(
This is why I am now using the graphical ammo counter: weapon is not shown as a name but as a small logo, followed by the ammount of ammo.
This makes the whole ammo counter less evasive I think, it is less long. And I'm using small letters for it.

As for changing the position of the bar, Top Center would indeed be fine.
Info on how to move it to that position can be found in that thread snork linked to. :D
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 09 Jul 2014 14:20

My two cents:
I know it is fun to tinker around with all the new gadgets.
More important is always the gameplay and how the level looks. That everything works as it should, is the lighting accurate (not too dark or to bright) etc, etc.

I never understand why (as a for instance) one leaves out the binoculars, or recently I came upon a level where the binoculars are in but Lara cannot look up or down, only sideway. I don’t understand the fun in that.

Health bar, OK now you can also play around with that as well (strength/underwater and whatever). Then people start tinkering with the colours, I get that. What I don’t get that some of the colours are done in a way that you hardly can see if there is any health left.

Also I do not understand why YOU would want the health bar to be in the centre.
I go with Snork on this one.
Keep all the bars and numbers for ammo on the side. It does distract your view of the game, in my opinion.
Oops, I did it again... Image

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 09 Jul 2014 18:09

Titak wrote: Problem is that you can't pick which weapon's ammo will show up in the ammo counter and which not.
So if you decide to have the ammo counter visible on screen you'll have to live with the fact that it will also show unlimited pistols ammo. :(
Assuming Colin Benson used Trep only, and no idea how he did there - but in his new game Shipwreck Ithaca we get a small ammo counter below the health bar, showing just numbers (not the name of weapon or ammo) for all ammo but for pistols. With pistols drawn : no counter, nothing.
In the inventory there is still the full unlimited pistol ammo text, and the usual text for "9x Crossbow explosive ammo" and such.
So maybe this is possible with Flep, too. Just in case it bugs you. :?
ColinB_ammo_counter.jpg
living on the edge
China Parks wrote: Yes, I want to have it at the top center […]
Ah, ok, I misunderstood.

One never knows. RTL-group online media-centres in their flash player have moved the control bar to almost middle of the picture.
And then sometimes for unknown reasons it does not want to automatically vanish. :|

Good luck with your building, anyways.

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 09 Jul 2014 19:50

Titak wrote:
OverRaider wrote:
I agree with you both here.
Problem is that you can't pick which weapon's ammo will show up in the ammo counter and which not.
This is why I am now using the graphical ammo counter: weapon is not shown as a name but as a small logo, followed by the ammount of ammo.
This makes the whole ammo counter less evasive I think, it is less long. And I'm using small letters for it.

As for changing the position of the bar, Top Center would indeed be fine.
Info on how to move it to that position can be found in that thread snork linked to. :D
The font in many other levels are pretty small, but mine shows up pretty big. But, I think I can resize all the fonts (like in the title) with the TextFormat= command. But my font has a little glitch. One of the parentheses is missing, and is replaced with a Zero. :? Is there a way to change that in NG-center font editor?

As for the health bar, I got that working, thanks to the thread snrok provided me! :D

Also, anybody know what font was used in MoA? I'm not kidding when I say it looks like from Wizards of Waverly Place. :? And it looks small enough, and smaller than my font currently.

EDIT:
Gerty wrote:My two cents:
I know it is fun to tinker around with all the new gadgets.
More important is always the gameplay and how the level looks. That everything works as it should, is the lighting accurate (not too dark or to bright) etc, etc.

I never understand why (as a for instance) one leaves out the binoculars, or recently I came upon a level where the binoculars are in but Lara cannot look up or down, only sideway. I don’t understand the fun in that.

Health bar, OK now you can also play around with that as well (strength/underwater and whatever). Then people start tinkering with the colours, I get that. What I don’t get that some of the colours are done in a way that you hardly can see if there is any health left.

Also I do not understand why YOU would want the health bar to be in the centre.
I go with Snork on this one.
Keep all the bars and numbers for ammo on the side. It does distract your view of the game, in my opinion.
Oh, yes, definitely, focusing on how the level look IS most critical. I usually like to get this part of the work done first so that I can focus mainly on building my level. Which is such more important. Also the reason I'm having the health bar in the centre is because I doing an inspiration-remake. In a area 51 type setting...Don't wanna give out too much! :spoiler:

Titak

Post by Titak » 09 Jul 2014 22:55

I used some celtic style font in MoA.
I don't know anything about Wizards of Waverly Place. I simply downloaded the font from a font site. :D
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 11 Jul 2014 11:08

^ Thanks, Titak. Its perfectly small, and all the characters (including parentheses) are there.