Puzzles

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Alexandre Simões

Puzzles

Post by Alexandre Simões » 29 May 2014 01:35

Ok, so after I looked at my newly built level in retrospective, I've realized that it could use some puzzles to make it more interesting. Can anyone point me in the direction of some puzzles that would fit in well in a classical nevada level (please keep in mind that this is a mostly outdoors and landscape level, not many 'man made contructions')? :D

Tolle87

Re: Puzzles

Post by Tolle87 » 29 May 2014 02:21

It's not easy to give that kind of advice, every puzzle should be unique.Anyway, the most obvious idea that comes into my mind is some river that ends in a high-mountain waterfall which you can climb above and block somehow, than maybe release the water again afterwards for some reason.Maybe you can take some ideas from classic similar levels like Lost Valley or Nevada Desert...

Alexandre Simões

Post by Alexandre Simões » 29 May 2014 02:27

UUh, I was going to do that but I felt it was overused... And too much work, it has to be big, and my level isn't about giant outdoor settings :roll: I was thinking more in the lines of creative object puzzles or something, because I've never worked with puzzles :P Or other puzzles that involve triggers. Actually, I tought puzzles had to be with objects, but now that I think of it, maybe not necessarilly, but I've never done anything puzzle-like, so maybe you guys could give me some hints?

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 29 May 2014 09:30

Um, I have some advice for levels of "Nevada" type, but mainly in human constructions. :/

Some blocks to push in a base or in a desert a little occupied by humans can be good. You can make these blocks impede the progress of another or building a small space to keep them from moving too much. The idea of the waterfall is good, but a flipmap should be necessary, and I think you don't like it Alexander? :-D

Alexandre Simões

Post by Alexandre Simões » 29 May 2014 10:41

Heh, I've gotten used to them :D But, seeing as my map's finished, I wasn't thinking of anything that'd make me create giant new rooms :P I'm just not too used to making puzzles, so I'm not sure of what to do...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 May 2014 14:53

Think pools you need to fill/empty, for instance. Otherwise, think Broken Sword. ;)

Titak

Post by Titak » 29 May 2014 15:22

Here's an idea had originally had for one of the Canyon levels in Coyote Creek2 but which I scrapped and replaced with another puzzle.

A small pool and Lara has to get to the other side.
But even though it is small, she can't get to the other side: no way to jump to the other side and the edges on the other side are too high (2 clicks above the water surface).
Use dynamite or a pulley or whatever to make a large rock fall into the small pool.

This chunk of rock can be used in different ways, for example it can be a block that Lara can stand on so she is able to get to the other side of the pool, or the rock can cause the waterlevel to rise one click so she can pull up on the ledges on the other side.
Both options can be done with the use of a flipmap, but the one where the rock is used as a block could also be done with a raising-block for example (just do not show the raising-block when it is going up... :roll: ).
A flyby camera sequence can be used to "hide" the changes in the rooms.

Speaking of blasting away some rock, dynamite could also be used to blast away a rock that's blocking a passage.
You could have the player find the dynamite and some timer device, combine them to be used on the puzzle-hole.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 May 2014 16:29

If you use any of these, do not forget to thank Titak at the end of the level. ;) Just saying...

Alexandre Simões

Post by Alexandre Simões » 29 May 2014 20:16

Yeah, thanks :D I just wasn't understanding your concept of 'puzzle', but from what I hear, I already have a few. I heave a raising water pool, I have one where you pull a nevada type switch and blow up a cave to clear the passage (talk about homage :D), though the dynamite thing sounds a little more fun than pulling a switch, but if I have to go to the room to place the dynamite and the timer in there, how to blow it up? I mean, it can't be directly in that room, and the dynamite has to disappear after the flipmap's been activated, right? I can't find any objects that interest me in trsearch :P And whenever I'm looking for something specific, it doesn't exist :P

Titak

Post by Titak » 30 May 2014 01:10

You're not into making your own objects?
If not, then my idea is going to be more complicated I suppose...
Not sure if there's something like a dynamite puzzle-item out there...

Joseph used a sort of dynamite puzzle in his "A witch shall be born".
In that case there was a rock acting as puzzle-hole (or at least as an animating), and then, with a timed trigger I guess, the whole thing blew up. The rock was put together in such a way that it could be animated to look like the pieces were flying away.
This animating is kinda complicated, so instead of animating an object like that, a flipmap could do the trick. The flipmap, along with a flyby sequence are then activated by inserting the dynamite item into the puzzle-hole. The flyby sequence turns away from the puzzle-hole so the actual explosion and shattering of the rock can't be seen (it does not happen at all ofcourse). A soundtrack with explosion and debris noises will create the illusion of an explosion.
Puzzle-hole-done objects can be animated, so by giving it a "move into wall instantly" animation you could make it disappear. Same goes for a rock in an animating slot.

So with some creative use of objects, triggers and camera's it could work quite well.
And it can be done with the original editor.

Still, you would need the objects...
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Alexandre Simões

Post by Alexandre Simões » 30 May 2014 02:40

Yes, I AM a newbie when it comes to objects :roll: hehe, but what I have set up right now should do the trick anyway, seeing as I have a room needing unlocking, with a lever-type switch, which activates a flipmap, explosion sound effect and a 5-second-quake. I think I'll try to add some kind of trigger-blocks puzzle to the level, or something, because come to think of it, what you said explains why good objects are hard to come by :D