Help please

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Tolle87

Help please

Post by Tolle87 » 25 May 2014 01:23

Hello everybody, I need help.

I created 2 rooms on top of each other like I did hundreds of times before.However, this time the game crashes when I try to enter level.When I delete the upper room everything works fine, but when I create the room again and connect it, it keeps crashing again.I get error report and it contains this:

PHASE I : Bad door clearance - PASSED
PHASE II : Bad floor clearance - PASSED
PHASE III : Bad object clearance - PASSED

I tried to remove all objects and the portal, but it keeps crashing until I remove the room that was on top completely, even when it has absolutely nothing in it.Any ideas?

EDIT:

I just discovered that problem is much bigger.I have 89 rooms so far.When I create 90th room anywere on the map, it crashes!I am not even close of any limit and I have no idea what's going on :(
#1 od 5 miliona

Titak

Re: Help please

Post by Titak » 25 May 2014 20:30

And how do you know you are not close to any limits?
Not all things that can cause the game to throw up are listed in the editor, like the objects placed.

Anyway, what would happen if you create 2 rooms, one being room 90, the other one room 91.
Then delete room 90.
Kind of random, I know, but I once had an issue with a room that could not be deleted.
Whenever I deleted that particular room, the level would crash. The editor can be weird that way.

Other than that, you might have hit some limit anyway.
Used textures on the TGA, the amount of bojects in the wad, the amount of texture(page)s in the wad, the amount of vertices in the wad (detail of the objects, etc. All these things can accumulate to some limit.
Speakign of textures, have you cleared the tailinfo's lately?
Always good to do once in a while. :D
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 25 May 2014 23:08

I just solved the problem.It was all because of 1x1x1 springboard room.While it was connected to a large room like it's supposed to, everything was fine.When I decided to remove large room, I forgot about springboard room and it apparently causes crash if it's not properly connected.Funny thing is that even than the game doesn't crash as long as you don't add new rooms.That's why it took me so long to find the reason.Thanks for your help anyway :)
#1 od 5 miliona

Titak

Post by Titak » 25 May 2014 23:28

Good to hear you found the cause for the crash! :2thumbsup:

I guess the only part of my previous reply that still applies in this case is "The editor can be weird that way." :lol:

For future reference:
When deleting rooms, it is best to remove everything from that room first: objects, triggers, lights and connections to other rooms.
Leaving them in can cause "evil object" type messages, and, as you have proven, crashes.

Perhaps this was part of the issue, having deleted that large room without deleting the connections to other rooms it had first. :thinking:

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 26 May 2014 02:02

I always remove everything from the room before deleting it, including portals.I just did a little test, just to make sure: I created another springboard room, completely independent from anything else, and of course it crashed again until I removed it :) .So, my advise about usage of springboards in the editor is the same as my advice about their usage in the game - Be careful! :D
#1 od 5 miliona

Titak

Post by Titak » 26 May 2014 17:49

Weird that the springboard seems to cause it. :thinking:
I'm also using the springboard in one of my levels and I never had such an issue with them.
My springboard is in an animating slot and it is not in a 1x1x1 room. (perhaps it is the fact that the board is placed in such a small room?)

Oh well, at least now you know what's causing it.