problem with flame on head, prblem with lara freezing

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

sonnyd83

problem with flame on head, prblem with lara freezing

Post by sonnyd83 » 21 May 2014 00:10

I have a couple of issues with one of my levels.

The first is that there is a flame on the head of the animation in the guide slot! This occurs on all guides, and I have antitriggered flames in the level to avoid the flame bug.
The second is that when I save and reload the game, Lara can only move forward, like she is skating on ice, no other action can happen. This occurs wherever I trigger Lara. I copied the Lara animation from my third level but it remains the same.

:?

Any hep is greatly appreciated.
New Bitmap Image.gif
New Bitmap Image2.gif

Alexandre Simões

Re: problem with flame on head, prblem with lara freezing

Post by Alexandre Simões » 21 May 2014 13:44

Never happened to me before :? Maybe a problem with the meshes? Also,which editor do you use?

sonnyd83

Post by sonnyd83 » 21 May 2014 21:14

My version of NGLE is 1.2.2.7

sonnyd83

Post by sonnyd83 » 21 May 2014 21:27

I found the cause of the flame problem -

If you have something in the guide slot and something in the wraith1 slot, this flame appears. Quite odd.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 22 May 2014 18:59

It's seems to be an incompatibility bug, like the soldier's gun which is in the same wad than an underwater door . We should report this bug on trle tutorials known.

Titak

Post by Titak » 23 May 2014 17:54

Alex Chap wrote:like the soldier's gun which is in the same wad than an underwater door.
That bug is not caused by having that baddy and the underwater door in one wad.
It is caused by the underwaterdoor sound being assigned to a wad which has too many sounds assigned to it. (using the original TRLE)
At least that's what people around me have been telling all the time.
This said, it is ofcourse a bug of some kind.

Ending up with a lot of sounds is caused by adding and removing objects to the wad.
WADMerger does automatically add the sounds (assigns them) to the wad but does not remove them when deleting the object which uses the sound.
(This also explains why the sound can be heard even if the underwater door is not present in the wad.)

Best way to keep track of the used sounds is to edit the sounds.txt for your level, either the old way or with one of the programs like Screamer, TRLE Sound Editor or SFX Manager.

I'm pretty sure the bug is fixed in TRNG though...
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

sapper

Post by sapper » 24 May 2014 05:17

Titak wrote:That bug is not caused by having that baddy and the underwater door in one wad.
It is caused by the underwaterdoor sound being assigned to a wad which has too many sounds assigned to it. (using the original TRLE)
At least that's what people around me have been telling all the time.
This said, it is ofcourse a bug of some kind.
I think this bug is caused simply by having the underwater door in the same level as any bullet shooting enemy.

Lwmte/Ensi says the engine is hardcoded to play sound ID 50 whenever Lara is hit by a bullet. If you have the underwater door in a level then sound ID 50 is usually assigned to the door. If you change the animcommands of the door animation to play a different sound ID then you could have the door in the level with the gun shooting enemies.

TREP had a fix to change the hardcoded sound ID number to something other than 50 so I assume Paolone included this fix in TRNG.

Titak

Post by Titak » 24 May 2014 12:30

I've had it in levels which did not have the underwaterdoor in the wad.
But obviously the sound was present, otherwise it would not play.
Most likely due to the door having been in the wad at some point and then the sound did not get removed by WADMerger when I removed the door.
(It was before I started editing the sounds.txt to manually remove and add sounds to my wads)

However, I did not know it was actually supposed to be the "sound made by Lara when hit by a bullet". I always thought it was related to the enemy itself.
But knowing this now... well, I'm going to experiment with it a bit. So far I have two levels with human enemies in them. I'll see if I can give Lara some proper "being hit" sounds. :D
If it hasn't been removed in TRNG that is... :thinking:
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

MagPlus

Post by MagPlus » 26 May 2014 14:30

The problem is still here in TRNG, but it's easy to get rid of it by changing some samples.
Here's what can be made to have both underwater door and gun shooting enemies in the same wad as says sapper :

- with Wadmerger, change the sample used by the underwater door in its animation #1 by choosing a sample not used in your wad (for example #14). Add it before.
- with SFX Manager or any other program, or manually, remove the sound #50 from sounds.txt by removing the corresponding letter of your wad (the underwater door sample must not be present in SFX file)
- rename the sample #14 (bsca_atk.wav) in \samples directory as "my_udw.wav" for example (keep a copy of the original one)
- then rename the #14 sample in the corresponding line of sounds.txt this way :

Code: Select all

bsca_atk                        VOL90   P V             PIT10           #y #z #F #J #K
my_uwd                          VOL50   P               PIT-50          #y #z #F #J #K #Ka
. #Ka is the letter assigned to your wad. You can use any other letter but it must be the same for all the samples present in your wad.
. VOL50, P and PIT -50 are the values copied from the original line of the sample #50 (underwater door)

sonnyd83

Post by sonnyd83 » 08 Jun 2014 14:24

Finally I've figured out why Lara freezes up after I load a savegame - I had selected all the ocb bits in the cogswitch object I have used - not sure why I did that :?

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 08 Jun 2014 17:04

davep83 wrote:I found the cause of the flame problem -

If you have something in the guide slot and something in the wraith1 slot, this flame appears. Quite odd.
It also ruins the AI of the guide. So you cannot have Wraith1 in your wad if using the Guide. This became apparent to us in BtoB Northern Legends wad
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil: