BtoB 2013 - transfer to TRNG?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Isis

BtoB 2013 - transfer to TRNG?

Post by Isis » 25 Feb 2014 20:03

I've recently picked up my BtoB2013 level again, having 3/4 finished it but what I'd really like to do is transfer it to TRNG. The only problem I can see is the TREP flipeffect 51 that stops the horse/jeep red light and exhaust. Is there any way I can do this in TRNG? Or is it possible to create a flipeffect with FLEP? I don't know much about FLEP, I know it is the TREP version that can be used with TRNG and I've tried some of the options but cannot see anything that might "tick this box".
Friends of Felines Rescue Centre http://www.ustream.tv/ffrc

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Re: BtoB 2013 - transfer to TRNG?

Post by EssGee » 26 Feb 2014 08:54

Hey Sue

It's a bit tricky. The TRep flip-effect 51 for BtoB2013 was setup in conjunction with the race timer and MOV_BYTE instructions. Initially we just had the MOV_BYTE instructions as a flip-effect, but it wasn't remembered in the save game, so we used the Race timer with a condition that if the timer was 1 second then perform the flip-effect. This reset every 1 second, which solved the save game issue.
I have been out of touch with TRNG for a while, so I'm not sure of the vast capabilities it has.
There is a TRNG instruction to remove the Jeep exhaust so that should solve the smoke.
FADD_SMOKE_EXHAUST
The Red Brake light is a bit more obscure. I did a quick search through AkyV's NGLE Encyclopedia, and didn't see exactly the Brake light identified, but he does list some "unknown" Memory zone, associated with the jeep. Perhaps its one of these.
Hopefully AkyV sees this thread and can enlighten us.
e.g.
- “Pointer for Draw Extra Procedure (used by jeep, sidecar)…” field: I couldn’t really interpret this field.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Isis

Post by Isis » 26 Feb 2014 12:59

Hi Scott

Thanks very much for looking at this. I'll check out the exhaust option, didn't see that at all, and maybe there is hope for the red light as well. I must admit I'm not very good with the variables and memory zone things, so if AkyV could help with this that would be great. :2thumbsup:

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 05 Mar 2014 11:49

I asked AkyV about this and I have his permission to post here his suggestions. No definite solution at this stage, but some things to try out. I'll have to leave you to explore some of these possibilities as I am too tied up with BtoB stuff at present, and my TRNG knowledge needs brushing up.
Unfortunately, only some workarounds or nebulous possibilities come to my mind:

- In "Flags. Main flags (Short)" field of Slot Memory Zone you can't force a number but maybe you can try somehow, not with variables. Because jeep value there is 633=512+64+32+16+8+1. Motorbike and wraith has the same flags, and they are all glowing. Perhaps one of the flags is about the glowing property?
- Paolone says this about the new A92 trigger:

Quote:
The flip mesh has same target of swap mesh but it works in different way.
In tomb4 engine all moveables have two meshes for each side of the body: the main mesh and the secondary mesh.
Only the main mesh is visible.
The secondary mesh it's used to swap between main/secondary slots the meshes and change some part of body.
For instance an hand that can hold or less a weapon it will have in main mesh the empty hand, while in secondary mesh the hand holding the weapon.
To load in secondary slot of mesh a different mesh the engine will use a clone of enemy in some SWAPMESH slot but it will be used only in initilize phase, to copy in secondary or main mesh the different meshes, and then the swap mesh slot will be ignored.
Most moveable have main and secondary mesh with same value and for this reason when you perform a flip of that mesh you'll not see any change.

So maybe you can force the "dark" version of the brake light meshes when the player is using ALT to brake, with a GlobalTrigger. If you are lucky, then the red light is linked to the "braking" version of the mesh.

- What if you try to activate another light (with AddEffect) to neutralize the red light when the player is using ALT to brake, with a GlobalTrigger.

- You can customize Amber, White, Blinking Light with Customize= CUST_LIGHT_OBJECT. Maybe one of them will affect the jeep light as well.

- What if you try to disable ALT when Lara is driving the jeep. The new braking method: you add another button (see: GT_KEYBOARD GlobalTrigger) to control a loop Organizer that will decrease the speed of the jeep, using "horizontal speed" Inventory Memory Zone field in the trigger of the Organizer:

GlobalTrigger2= put the actual speed value in a variable, if Lara is driving a jeep.
Organizer= 1, FO_LOOP, IGNORE, X, 1

TG1= after X seconds/frames, subtract Y from variable value, then force it to "speed" field. If variable is 0, then interrupt the Organizer (F128).
(The max speed is 128.)
-----------------------------------------

Note: I'd like to recommend "Pointer for Draw Extra Procedure (used by jeep, sidecar) (Long)" Slot Memory Zone field. It is left out of my tutorial, because I've not tested it carefully yet and it has no a real serious effect.

However, it could be useful if you can't remove D sprite with the jeep in the bottom right corner of the screen, moving the sprite from the WAD.

I'm talking about forcing 0 in that field that will remove the sprite from the jeep slot.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Isis

Post by Isis » 05 Mar 2014 20:03

Thanks Scott (and AkyV if you read this), looks like there could be a solution in there, I'll just need to put my thinking cap on. :D I've only dabbled with variables and have not studied the memory zone aspects at all so much of that is going over my head. The disabling of the Alt key method may be my best shot, I've used organisers, global triggers and trigger groups, however I see it still requires a variable but I might be able to figure that out, I've managed to get a very basic variable set up to work so there's hope .... :thinking:

Anyway thanks again for helping with this, once BtoB14 is over I'll hopefully pick up Btob13 again and see if I can produce something with that one :2thumbsup: