transition textures

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

tomb gamer

transition textures

Post by tomb gamer » 10 May 2012 23:26

Im creating some transition textures using tr3 textures (grass to rock, rock to mud etc). is there a program that can smooth out the pixles so it looks like a more natural transition?

Fluen

Re: transition textures

Post by Fluen » 11 May 2012 08:30

Use GIMP and use layers and layermasks to make some sections partly transparent. I'll gladly explain in detail, but not right now.

What program do you use now?

tomb gamer

Post by tomb gamer » 11 May 2012 18:29

I use paint. I dont have any experience using more complicated texture editing tools, so any tips you could give me would greatly be appreciated. :2thumbsup:

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 13 May 2012 14:09

I used paint too. But my attempts with homemade textures didn't satisfy me.

It was somewhat difficult to change to GIMP, because it doesn't resemble paint, but there are tutorials about Gimp, and tutorials about Photoshop, which has many of the same features as GIMP. Besides, I'm ready to help, if you have patience, because I don't have a private internet connection and have to go to the library to use the net, so I'm only around some days.

Besides, there is another version of paint - paint.net (this is also the web-adress), which should be a heavily enhanced version of paint. I haven't tried that one, but perhaps you want to.

Both GIMP and paint.net are free. GIMP is an open source program. I don't know about paint.net.

GIMP has the homepage http://www.gimp.org. The newer version is 2.8 - I still use 2.2; my attempt with 2.4 didn't quite work out, but I use Windows XP, which may be the reason for my trouble.

The brilliance about GIMP (and the other programs too) is, that you can work with layers - several pictures located each in its own layer. With the help of layer masks you can decide how much of the lower layer(s) should be visible through the upper layer(s) - great for transitions.

I have made the majority of the textures for my own level by combining and manipulating textures from many other games and pictures found on the net. So I'm deeply in love with GIMP.

Take a look on the programs I suggested here and at the tutorials you can find - both the ones associated with the programs, but also the ones at the various Tomb Raider-communities. I know there are quite a few on tombraiderforums.com in the level editor tutorials sections if you search back in time.

Besides, I know Horus resides here and she taught me about texture-transitions, and on tombraiderforums.com Titak has great knowledge of texture-making and is ready to answer questions.

Next time I get on the net I'll bring pictures of one of my home-made textures - the layers, the layer masks and the final result.

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 14 May 2012 03:37

Go to http://www.cgtextures.com/
Under tutorials, look for the one called
Advanced blending in Paint Shop Pro using 'Blend Ranges'

While this example uses PSP, it demonstrates how to use layers to blend 2 textures. There should be something similar in GIMP.

tomb gamer

Post by tomb gamer » 14 May 2012 18:40

Thanks to both you guys.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 02 Jun 2012 14:22

aktrekker, thank you. I copied all of the tutorials. Several of them look just like the right thing for me - if I can find the similar functions in GIMP. :-P