Any ideas on how I make baddy1 stick to his uzi?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Fluen

Any ideas on how I make baddy1 stick to his uzi?

Post by Fluen » 25 Apr 2012 14:19

I've modified the baddy1 from an Middle Eastern mercenary into a European one. So he must no longer use his sword.

But that is a bit of a problem, because the game engine apparently makes him fire four volleys, before he switches to his sword, and he doesn't want to switch back - not as far as I know.

My attempts to change the animation references or state-ID's have so far only lead him to either stand still for all eternity, constantly sheath his sword just to re-draw it or follow Lara like a puppy, but withou causing her any harm.
I probably haven't tried out all options, but I am running out of ideas on how to make him keep his uzi and only use that.

Does any of you have any idea of what could be done to override this "only four volleys"-command the game engine forces on him?

I know the Venice wad also contains a "guns only"-baddie, but after playing the BtB Venice-levels, it's my impression that he also follows Lara around, when he runs out of ammunition. Correct me, if I am mistaken.

I use TREP, so if anyone knows a flipeffect or similar, that will do the trick, I would also be pleased.

sapper

Re: Any ideas on how I make baddy1 stick to his uzi?

Post by sapper » 26 Apr 2012 04:19

You have to find a way to make sure he never runs out of ammo.
He only pulls out the sword if he has no ammo.

Not sure how to do that in TREP though sorry. If Larson is still around he might know how to write a custom flipeffect for you. Or can you increase his starting ammo somewhere in TREP or give him unlimited ammo?

You could make sure there are plenty of uzi ammo pickups for baddy 1 to collect.
Last edited by sapper on 12 May 2012 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 26 Apr 2012 04:52

Right, either somehow he has unlimited ammo, or you might force the animations so he never returns to the standstill animation. Of course that would prevent him from running or jumping about in a normal fashion.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 26 Apr 2012 14:14

So he's "born" with a very limited amount of uzi-ammo? Hadn't considered that option. Will go home and test, what happens if I leave a ton of uzi-ammo around.

sapper

Post by sapper » 26 Apr 2012 14:53

Yes. Born with 24 bullets by default, and as soon as reaches negative bullets (the figure does actually go negative and not zero) uses the sword.

With TRNG its possible to control.

DJFull wanted the baddy1 to only use the sword so I helped with a variables flipeffect trigger that set the ammo to zero before the baddy was triggered -> no uzi.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 27 Apr 2012 08:26

Yesterday I looked at the commands in the TREP flipeffect editor, but I'm so inexperienced with the flipeffect editor, that I can't figure how to give every baddy1 an unlimited ammunition supply.

So I would be very grateful, if you would tell me, what commands I should use. So far I have only made one single flipeffect.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 27 Apr 2012 13:59

sapper wrote:DJFull wanted the baddy1 to only use the sword so I helped with a variables flipeffect trigger that set the ammo to zero before the baddy was triggered -> no uzi.
I remember. "Disable Custom C." So maybe try disabling custom A and B and see what happens.

EDIT:
If the above fails, try to loop shooting animation of the enemy (should be possible with "Next Animation" field in WadMerger Animation Editor). Then, create a global trigger taking HP from Lara everytime the guy is performing that particular animation. So when he runs out of ammo, it should still LOOK LIKE he didn't.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 27 Apr 2012 20:23

Nice. But I still use TREP, so where do I look for the experts on that?

sapper

Post by sapper » 28 Apr 2012 03:28

T4Larson or Dr Gerrow or HeinzFritz may be able to help. PM them at TRF.

However, the Wiki at trsearch says that an OCB of +10 gives baddy1 unlimited uzi ammo.

I guess the +10 means you add 10 to the other OCB you use.

I have not tested this so don't know if it is correct.

http://www.trsearch.org/wiki/BADDY_1

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 09 May 2012 15:29

I tested the OCB-values 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 with the good, old TRLE. It did give him extra uzi-ammunition, but not unlimited. Now he's able to fire seven volleys in stead of four.
I suspect, it's in TRNG the OCB = +10 gives him unlimited ammunition.

If he manages to pick up an uzi-clip, he has ammunition for 11 volleys. That's hopefully enough. But if a TREP-expert comes by, I will appreciate help to give the baddy1 unlimited ammunition.

sapper

Post by sapper » 10 May 2012 03:39

It's definitley not a TRNG OCB. The OCB info at trsearch is pre TRNG.

But this behaviour for Baddy1 must have been observed somewhere.

Can you recall any TRLR levels where Baddy1 never uses his sword?
If so check the OCB with fexinspect.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 10 May 2012 13:23

Take a look at these Cowboy enemies by Baddy.
http://www.trsearch.org/Items/360
The State IDs have been modified so they only shoot.
Study those modifications and you should be able to set your Ninjas to only use Uzis.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 11 May 2012 15:15

Thank you for your piece of advice, EssGee. But I have already been there.

The first thing I did, was to study the baddy1 from the BtB Venice wad. And he was made by Baddy. But when that baddy ran out of ammunition, he just followed Lara around.

Now I know, that the cause of the trouble is the very limited amount of ammunition, and that he actually uses the ammo clips and medipacks he finds (I just thought he took them as a way for Core to add an extra challenge for players), I have ways to remedy the situation.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 11 May 2012 22:41

So he just needs to conveniently become conscious on top of a mountain of uzi clips? :D

sapper

Post by sapper » 12 May 2012 02:49

I checked all the TRLR levels with fexinspect and didn't find any baddy1 with OCB 10,11,12,13,14 so I don't know where the info about +10 giving unlimited ammo came from.

Using T4Larson's T4Mod awhile ago I watched baddy1's health and ammo increase as he collected medipacks and uzi ammo.