"Tomb Raider - Level Editor" folder overwritten??

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

JesseG

"Tomb Raider - Level Editor" folder overwritten??

Post by JesseG » 04 Feb 2012 15:38

I just got a shock when I tried to load a project and saw that all my files in the level editor seem to have been overwritten by the originals. Does anyone know how this would happen? I think I just lost a lot of data. My custom WADs are gone, and so are my project files. :bigcry:

JesseG

Re: "Tomb Raider - Level Editor" folder overwritten??

Post by JesseG » 04 Feb 2012 15:48

Forum effect...I think i figured it out. The folder was marked as "read only" which would explain why when I was working, lock icons appeared over all the files I was using. They must have been wiped out when the system shut off. :(

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 04 Feb 2012 16:52

Jesse wrote:I think I just lost a lot of data. My custom WADs are gone, and so are my project files. :bigcry:
It's too late now but backups are your friend :wink:
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 04 Feb 2012 21:33

Yes, that would've helped, although thankfully I have just found some files untarnished elsewhere that are only a day behind. :) These will give me a boost.

The weird part is that I was able to modify the TRLE files at all. You'd think 'read only' would mean it would give you an error of some sort instead of letting you "temporarily" modify the files. An error would have certainly been more helpful in this case.

Maybe this is a windows 7 thing (I'm still getting used to it). So to all those who have or are getting windows 7, learn from my mistake and make sure your program files (or at leat your TRLE folder) are NOT read only! :-P

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 05 Feb 2012 00:38

There are tools to bring back deleted files from the HD. I had that problem during the later stages of E&B1...I managed to bring deleted files back and continue to work on them and finally release the levels :) I could of course have used my backups but they were done a week before and I must had spent like 100hours of building that week! Too obsessed to make a new backup lol.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 05 Feb 2012 08:39

On Vista and Windows 7 the files will not automatically go where you think they go. They are saved in some sort of secret folder under your user login. So you can save the files but not be able to find them again.
If you install TRLE in your Documents folder, the files will save in the normal place. But TRLE does not give warnings when the files or folder is read only. It just goes through the motions and pretends it worked.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 07 Feb 2012 20:25

aktrekker wrote:On Vista and Windows 7 the files will not automatically go where you think they go. They are saved in some sort of secret folder under your user login. So you can save the files but not be able to find them again.
What do you mean? Of course they can be found again! Jesse, is your TRLE folder installed in program files? If so, look for a button called 'compatibility files' in the menu bar of the TRLE folder. Click on it, and it will open the folder where your files are saved. To avoid this problem, either run the Editor as administrator, or reinstall TRLE somewhere other than in program files.

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 08 Feb 2012 02:32

Obviously I meant the average user can't find them. The evidence is the number of times this issue arises.
Newer versions of Windows create folders based on your login, application name, and other things. Nice long, cryptic names that make it hard to figure out what went where.
And Compatibility Files must be a Windows 7 feature. I've never seen anything like it under Vista.