builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Data loss while copying to pendrive

Post by DJ Full » 20 Sep 2011 00:05

WARNING!

I noticed a data loss while copying files to Kingston Data Traveler. The pendrive is ESPECIALLY sensitive to wads. Look - left box shows folder properties before copying, and the right one shows them after the operation:

Sometimes a whole folder can vanish. In this case, it happened. The only files that have survived "copying" are:
-city.CD
-cleopal.CD
-coastal.CD
-karnak.CD
-settomb.CD
-title.lar.

Somehow the pendrive does not sentence original Core Design files in .CD format. All other files, in formats: .swd, .sfx, .was, .wad, .raw and .tom are gone bananas, no matter if they were customized or original.

Also, the whole Metasequoia folder (named simply mqle2.34), containing 367 files and 14 folders, has evaporated but one file: readme.eng.txt.

I had this occuring before, but I wasn't sure if it's the pendrive or me notoriously forgetting to click on "copy" some files. This is why I can't know what I lost and what I saved. I think I've already seen .tr4 and audio files vanish as well - however this info is not yet confirmed.

If any person notices a similar pendrive behaviour, please report it. We need to know which pendrives are safe and what conditions cause data loss. Thanks in advance for any help.

And don't worry - Hospital of Wrong Assumptions has a solid backup copy ;) , so it's intact.
woof

aktrekker

Re: Data loss while copying to pendrive

Post by aktrekker » 20 Sep 2011 10:15

Flash memory does not always have the capacity claimed. It can (and often does) have bad spots as well, just like hard drives. The bad spots can be locked out so they aren't used.
I don't know the size of your flash, the most common fakes are 16GB and the newer 32GB. You also don't say if you are using removable chips or if this is a fixed pen drive. I use a reader with removable memory chips.

You can use h2testw to test your pen drive and see the actual capacity. It is also able to detect bad sections of memory.

Another useful tool is SDFormatter. It will format the SD card properly and I can stated from personal experience that it works.

I found out about these because I bought a 32GB uSDHC card but it only showed as 2GB when I tried to use it. Reformatting with built-in software did not help. I researched the issue and found these 2 tools. I used SDFormatter to format as 32GB. I then used h2testw to make sure it really worked.

Both tools are free. I recommend using them to make sure your pen drive is really what it claims to be.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Data loss while copying to pendrive

Post by DJ Full » 20 Sep 2011 16:53

Checking them right now, thank You.
woof