Timer

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

mugs
Admin
Admin

Timer

Post by mugs » 31 Mar 2011 15:13

I am trying to establish a timer. In script I have "Timer=ENABLED". I have the following two triggers set up. I have tried placing these triggers on the same square, but the result is zero. I then tried placing the triggers on two separate squares and the result is the timer being initiated and seen, but with no cut-off (or parameter, I guess). How do I get the timer to work with the prescribed amount of time (in my case 40 seconds)?
Attachments
timer.JPG
timer2.JPG
Of doggie candle fame!

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Re: Timer

Post by Raymond » 31 Mar 2011 16:52

1. The old screen timer, which is set up with the script entry, has nothing to do with the new trng-timers. So delete this entry.
2. To start a trng timer correctly, you have to initialize, show and start the timer with three Variables.Timer-flipeffects. So choose and place them according to your needs.
3. A condition has nothing to do with this. The condition, you use, would allow to trigger something, if the timer has the value of 40 s. The flipeffect you use, is again for the screen timer and therefore of no use here.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 31 Mar 2011 18:20

thank you for that info Raymond, but I have no idea how to proceed with #2 of your instruction. It would be really helpful if you could provide me with info (or point me in the direction of finding it) on how to "initialize", "show", and "start" the 3 variables. Thanks!

Oh! and BTW - these instructions were pulled from the NGLE Manual - perhaps they should be deleted or updated !
Of doggie candle fame!

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 31 Mar 2011 19:04

You know what a flipeffect is and where to find it ion the trigger menu, right? Use the Find-button and look for Timer and you will find all the flipeffects with Timer in it and therefore also the variables.timer-flipeffects. I think, you can also scroll directly to them. Then you see the variuos types and by the names you can identify, which one to use for initialising, showing and starting the timer. It´s all pretty much self-explaining. By the way, best you print out (by pressing the P-button)a list of all the flipeffects (also action triggers and conditions), so that you have a good overwiew of the new trng-triggers at hand all the time.
As a matter of interest: I gave you the names of the flipeffects. Sorry, I just don´t understand, how you can´t find and use them! Can you explain, why?

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 31 Mar 2011 20:02

Raymond wrote: As a matter of interest: I gave you the names of the flipeffects. Sorry, I just don´t understand, how you can´t find and use them! Can you explain, why?
:lol: That's pretty funny (I wonder if you meant that as a joke ? :? ). I am a novice at level building Raymond. I try my best to study the tutorials that are available for various functions before having to ask for help. Unfortunately, many tutorials are written using many assumptions that the builder will have previous knowledge of these things. Some of us do not. This is the first time I have used a flipeffect trigger so the answer is no - I have never looked in the "find" box and so I never saw the list of various triggers. And while all this may seem like second nature to you - it's like a foreign language to me. I have just spent 45 minutes playing with the show, start, and stop features. It will take me another couple of hours to figure out how to place these triggers. And that I am willing and able to do. I am grateful that you took the time to answer my question and I hope that you now can understand that some of us are like infants (even if we are old enough to be your grandmother) and need a bit more of your patience.
Of doggie candle fame!

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 03 Apr 2011 15:22

back to timer issues: I have the timer working, but after the timed event I cannot remove the clock. I tried a trigger for "variables.timer.hide", but that doesn't work. anyone know how to remove the clock ? thanks.
Of doggie candle fame!

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 03 Apr 2011 18:35

Try this flipeffect Pat, you can export the trigger and place it into a trigger group if you need to.

Last edited by bedazzled on 03 Apr 2011 18:51, edited 2 times in total.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 03 Apr 2011 18:50

Thanks Peter! will give it a try.
Of doggie candle fame!

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 03 Apr 2011 18:51

@Pat Did you try both the local and global timer parameter in the variable hide timer flipeffect?

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 03 Apr 2011 19:05

hmm. well, I tried the "hide.timer" as suggested, but got no effect. I will try switching the timers from global to local to see if that helps. thanks for your suggestions - I'll keep working on it.
Of doggie candle fame!

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 03 Apr 2011 19:22

Got it ! Thanks Peter! I discovered that a couple of the timers were on local and a couple on global - changed all of them to global and it works great now. really appreciate your help!
Of doggie candle fame!

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 03 Apr 2011 20:27

:2thumbsup: