Frozen Demigod

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Frozen Demigod

Post by Mytly » 17 Mar 2011 18:42

I have a major bug with a demigod in my level. The setup involves a switch trigger with the demigod in order to open up a way for Lara to proceed when the demigod is killed. The setup is completely correct, and used to work as intended until I was doing what I thought was the final run-through for my level about 6 weeks ago. Then a bug suddenly popped up: when Lara got to the room with the demigod, it would be triggered correctly at the entrance of the room, but the moment she stepped on the squares with the switch trigger, the demigod would freeze in place. The bug only occurred when doing a full run-through of the level, but not when I started the level with Lara placed just outside the room. I managed to fix the bug by deleting the whole setup and rebuilding it, but I never figured out the cause.

After that the level went for beta-testing, and my testers had no problem with this part. But a couple of days ago, I was fixing another bug that one of them pointed out, and somehow something 'broke' with the demigod setup (no idea how). Now the same bug - frozen demigod - occurs when I play the whole level, and the previous fix doesn't work either. I am at my wits' end. :bigcry: Any ideas on what is causing this, and how it can be fixed? I am using TRNG, if that is relevant.

JesseG

Re: Frozen Demigod

Post by JesseG » 17 Mar 2011 20:39

Is this the only demigod in your level? A demigod will freeze if it thinks another one is active somewhere. That's the only thing I can think of. :?

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 17 Mar 2011 20:54

There is another demigod in the level, but the two of them cannot possibly be active at the same time. Also, I tried deleting the other demigod, but it makes no difference. :(

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 17 Mar 2011 21:43

Just to get a better picture, is the demigod still "breathing" or anything when he is frozen? Or is he not animating at all?

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 17 Mar 2011 22:01

It's not animating at all. It freezes in the position it is in when Lara steps on the switch trigger. And it can't be killed, thus making the switch trigger pointless.

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 18 Mar 2011 00:51

That does sound like a typical 2+ demigods triggered at the same time situation, but I am just as puzzled as you as to what might cause it if another demigod is not the cause.

You could try putting a flipeffect 46 (?, I believe) before Lara enters the room and triggers the problematic demigod. As you might know - it gets rid of all the enemies triggered at that point. If this won't solve it - then at least you will know that other enemies are not what affect this particular demigod's odd behaviour.

TrueRaider

Post by TrueRaider » 18 Mar 2011 10:45

You could try a different set up. Since you're using the TRNG you don't need to use to switch trigger to cause something to happen when an enemy is killed. Instead you can use a global trigger in the script which you can set up to trigger something when that specific enemy dies.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 18 Mar 2011 22:11

eTux wrote:You could try putting a flipeffect 46 (?, I believe) before Lara enters the room and triggers the problematic demigod. As you might know - it gets rid of all the enemies triggered at that point. If this won't solve it - then at least you will know that other enemies are not what affect this particular demigod's odd behaviour.
I have put a flipeffect 46 there. No effect. :(
TrueRaider wrote:You could try a different set up. Since you're using the TRNG you don't need to use to switch trigger to cause something to happen when an enemy is killed. Instead you can use a global trigger in the script which you can set up to trigger something when that specific enemy dies.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I don't know much about global triggers, but I can figure them out. :)

It's really frustrating that a previously bug-free and fully-beta-tested level can become so buggy. :hammer: :furious2:

uzi master

Post by uzi master » 19 Mar 2011 02:12

You could try converting it into the DEMIGON_2 slot, since they don't freeze like the DEMIGOD_3, it isn't to hard, just a few different animations and state ID's, I think. the different animations I think are just animations switched to other numbers...

Aza

Post by Aza » 19 Mar 2011 10:58

Mytly, it sounds like your level has grown too big.

Problems like this don't show up while building the level because you only ever test the portion you have just built.

It's only when you run through the level from the start and trigger everything that the problems show themselves.

Make a backup of your WAD and then try deleting every unused item out of your wad.

Then delete the unused tailinfos to reduce the size of the Alloc file buffer.

How big is the Alloc file buffer by the way?

Also, is there a point in the level where you could split it into two maybe?
What a wan*er.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 19 Mar 2011 15:13

uzi master wrote:You could try converting it into the DEMIGON_2 slot, since they don't freeze like the DEMIGOD_3, it isn't to hard, just a few different animations and state ID's, I think. the different animations I think are just animations switched to other numbers...
I have no idea how to convert to a different slot. Could you tell me how?
Aza wrote:Mytly, it sounds like your level has grown too big.

Problems like this don't show up while building the level because you only ever test the portion you have just built.

It's only when you run through the level from the start and trigger everything that the problems show themselves.

Make a backup of your WAD and then try deleting every unused item out of your wad.

Then delete the unused tailinfos to reduce the size of the Alloc file buffer.

How big is the Alloc file buffer by the way?

Also, is there a point in the level where you could split it into two maybe?
I have deleted all unused items from the wad, as well as the unused tailinfos. I don't think I have reached any limits, at least not according to the info box at the bottom of the editor - though I am close to the limit for triggers (490 out of 512). I could split the level, but it would be rather difficult to do at this stage, as it is a very non-linear level. :|

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 19 Mar 2011 15:31

It might not just be the limits that are shown on the bottom of the editor, but the levelsize limit. I also came across that one a few weeks ago and it made certain movables unusable. A boulder first started to fall, but suddenly freezed, so did a baddy, the rubberboat didn't work either. So if you've added a room to your level or made a room bigger (even by just a little bit), my guess would be that you've reached this limit. I could only fix it by making one of the rooms smaller (reducing as minimal space as possible), but deleting rooms fixed it, too. Perhaps you could try it to see if this is the case.

And you can copy an enemy to another slot in WADMerger, by opening your wad on both sides, select the DEMIGOD_2, click Copy while pressing Shift, then search and select the DEMIGOD_3 slot and press OK.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 19 Mar 2011 16:54

Thanks, Matie. I'll try that. I have already reduced the number of triggers, but that doesn't make any difference.
Matie wrote:And you can copy an enemy to another slot in WADMerger, by opening your wad on both sides, select the DEMIGOD_2, click Copy while pressing Shift, then search and select the DEMIGOD_3 slot and press OK.
Oh, it's that easy? I thought it involved editing the animations or something. :D

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 19 Mar 2011 17:53

It depends on the type of the enemy and the slot you want to copy it to. For example if you copy a BADDY_1 to a BADDY_2 slot, you won't need to edit the animations. I think this is the case with the demigods, too. However copying an enemy to a completely different type of slot might cause some problems with the enemy and you may have to change the animations in that case, as you said. :)

Aza

Post by Aza » 19 Mar 2011 20:31

I usually start hitting problems when the alloc file buffer gets above 19.5 million.

Though my latest level hit problems at 16 million so I have cut a bit of it out.

It is now only at 14.9 million and is in the final stages of beta testing 8)
What a wan*er.