Rotate Project?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

trplayer

Rotate Project?

Post by trplayer » 07 Mar 2011 17:38

Hi all!

My level is taking a turn for the different--literally! I'm now needing to rotate my whole project file in the 2D space, and I am wondering if this is even possible with any of the programs out there. I use NGLE, but I didn't see a project rotate option anywhere.

Alternatively, a script command or some other fancy thing that changes the working of the compass for a particular level would also solve my problem.

Thanks for any suggestions!
TRPlayer
————Review my level if you have played it! Review levels @ trle.net————

daffy

Re: Rotate Project?

Post by daffy » 07 Mar 2011 18:00

I do not think we can run a project in its emsemble, no portal of rooms is possible through the menu function "room"

But I am far from knowing everything! :wink:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

Titak

Post by Titak » 08 Mar 2011 22:31

Rooms can only be rotated one by and there shouldn't be any doors in them either. :|
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 09 Mar 2011 04:20

Titak wrote:Rooms can only be rotated one by and there shouldn't be any doors in them either. :|
Shucks; that's what I feared. Oh well, though; I think I can actually get by having to only rotate a handful of the rooms in the level instead of all of them.

Thanks all!
TRPlayer

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 12 Mar 2011 14:37

Rooms can be rotated, yes, but this may completely mess ob all the objects :(

But why do you want to rotate your whole project? The 2D-map is a square if I recall correctly, so something like rotating the whole prj isn't really needed, is it?

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 12 Mar 2011 22:24

It sounds like there is an issue with the compass directions and that's why the rooms need to be reoriented. A direction-specific puzzle perhaps? It seems rather unfortunate.

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 14 Mar 2011 04:37

It sounds like there is an issue with the compass directions and that's why the rooms need to be reoriented.
Yes; I am rather particular. :smug2: I want to make sure that folk are facing the same 'direction' in both levels when they look one way. Since only parts of the two linked levels are shared, however, I think I can get by just rotating a handful of rooms. :yep:

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 14 Mar 2011 10:31

Or... in theory you could get away with tweaking the compass needle in that particular wad instead of rotating whole sections of the level or rooms.

I haven't tried this in practice - but I assume rotating the needle by 90, 180 or 270 degrees should be able shift the cardinal points in the direction you need without making any massive changes to the level itself?

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 15 Mar 2011 04:26

eTux wrote:Or... in theory you could get away with tweaking the compass needle in that particular wad instead of rotating whole sections of the level or rooms.

I haven't tried this in practice - but I assume rotating the needle by 90, 180 or 270 degrees should be able shift the cardinal points in the direction you need without making any massive changes to the level itself?
Wonderful idea! I do not think there are any direction-specific things in the level, so a 'false' reading on the compass would not hurt. Only... I always thought it had to be the same between level jumps; I thought for sure Lara wouldn't work in level jumps if there were changes to her between the WADs...

TRPlayer

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 15 Mar 2011 06:32

You can change the direction she is facing. In fact, using a level jump with LARA_START_POS you can do just that. And that is my suggestion. She will be facing the direction of the cone in the LSP nullmesh.

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 15 Mar 2011 10:27

trplayer wrote:Wonderful idea! I do not think there are any direction-specific things in the level, so a 'false' reading on the compass would not hurt. Only... I always thought it had to be the same between level jumps; I thought for sure Lara wouldn't work in level jumps if there were changes to her between the WADs...
It's true that the LARA objects have to be the same for level jumps to work between the levels - but what I am suggesting is to edit the compass item [that is - rotate the needle], and as far as I know this rule doesn't extend to the compass. I can't be 100% sure having never tried this setup specifically myself, but I imagine all you would get would be a false compass reading, as you put it yourself. I think it's worth a try - and involves much less time and resources than rotating rooms - so even if it doesn't work - you won't lose much time on it.

@ aktrekker - I got the impression that his 2 levels shared some rooms that were not aligned in the same direction on level jumps (i.e. Lara leaves the level facing south and enters it facing east), but if it is merely about facing Lara in the right direction upon entering a level - then what you say makes the most sense, of course.