level jump crash

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

mugs
Admin
Admin

level jump crash

Post by mugs » 19 Feb 2011 19:57

I am getting a crash when I try to initiate a level jump. The first pic shows the set-up I have followed (uvavoo's tutorial) and the second pic shows one of the trigger set-ups (the other one is identical). The only thing I am unsure of is whether or not it makes a difference if the place that you leave has one dimension (like a room with a floor of -5 and a ceiling of -1) and the place you're going to has a different dimension (floor of 2 and ceiling of 6). Could that be the cause of the crash or am I doing something wrong with the trigger ? Thanks for any help!
Attachments
levjmp.JPG
levjmp2.JPG
Of doggie candle fame!

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: level jump crash

Post by Matie » 19 Feb 2011 20:08

Different dimensions shouldn't be a problem while jumping from one level to another (although I'm not sure if this is the case with leveljumps where Lara can go to the second level and back). Does Lara have different outfits in the two levels?

Are the two triggers completely identical? (If this is the case: in the first level you need to modify the finish trigger, change the number 1 next to "Object to trigger" to number 2. Because if that value is number 1 in the first level, the game will load the same level, and not the second.)

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 19 Feb 2011 20:49

Remember that you have to number the Lara Start Position starting at 1 in each level. So in the first level you have LSP number 1, and in the second level you have LSP number 1. The trigger must identify the LSP you are jumping to.

But most likely, your LoadCamera for the first level is probably not right. Does it crash if you go straight to the menus?

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 19 Feb 2011 21:33

Matie may have hit on the problem - Lara is wearing different outfits. I'll try changing one and see if that works. Otherwise, the set-ups seem to be correct.
Of doggie candle fame!

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 19 Feb 2011 21:38

You don't need to change them, you can put these two lines in the script, to the [Level] section of the first level instead:

Code: Select all

ResetHub=		       2
PreserveInventory=	 ENABLED
The first one reloads meshes for the second level, so the game won't crash if you have a different outfit. The second one keeps the inventory items you picked up in the first level (without this command the ammo, for example, would disappear).

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 19 Feb 2011 21:49

thank you for that info matie!
Of doggie candle fame!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 19 Feb 2011 22:09

Just make sure you don't have any important puzzle items that you want to keep when you level jump. They will be gone if you use Resethub.

Hmm but are there not a way of preserving the items (even with resethub) now with TRNG? Hmm I think I had to do that in E&B2 actually :blush:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 19 Feb 2011 22:26

this stuff is so tricky, how does anyone get it right the first time? I'm still getting crashes. The outfits are now the same (script has been edited to be on the safe side), the trigger codes are correct. :bigcry: I'll just sit down and eat a fat worm (where's the smiley face for that?).
Of doggie candle fame!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 19 Feb 2011 22:46

No one gets it right the first time. Imagine my problems during the hub level (limbo) in E&B2 :lol:

It IS difficult but you will manage it :2thumbsup:

Do you still get a crash even if you use reset hub btw? Make sure the number after resethub is refering to the level you are going to jump to.

Best way of making sure it is the same Lara in both levels is to replace the whole Lara object in wad merger with the same lara etc. (make backups!!!)

Also, you can compare the wads using the NG center to see what animation might be different in the wads. (one of the tools implemented in the program) Check it out! It helped me a lot during E&B2 when I got similar crashes.

inchdix

Post by inchdix » 20 Feb 2011 15:12

Mugs, are you trying to jump to a new level from the first or trying to jump within the first level?
If you are in the first level and trying to get to the second, then the numeric in the object field should be 2 (or whatever level you are wanting to move to according to the order in your script). You have also specified a lara start position in the timer field ...... have you placed one of these null-meshes in the level you are aimimg for and set its OCB as "1" as per your finish trigger (make sure the lara object is somewhere in the level too or it will not work)?????

If you are wanting to move within the same level, use the flip-effect trigger for lara move to lara-start position .......

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 22 Feb 2011 18:17

Have just poured over the "level jump" search threads looking for info concerning the loss of triggered objects. The case in point is a door that is unlocked and leads to the passage with the "level jump". Unfortunately, when Lara returns to this level the door is now shut and she is trapped. Is there really no way to compensate for this ?
Of doggie candle fame!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 22 Feb 2011 18:54

Hmm a door should not be closed due to resethub etc. It just affects puzzle items! (remember all the doors were still opened in my levels even if there were multiple level jumps etc.)

Mail me your project files so I can take a look at them. :angel: If it is an ordinary level jump between levels it should not produce these problems.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 22 Feb 2011 18:55

ok. thanks. may be a while before I can send the files.
Of doggie candle fame!

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 22 Feb 2011 19:36

QRS wrote:Hmm a door should not be closed due to resethub etc.
I thought the whole level was reset when that command was used? But I've only used the original script so maybe this new script is different...

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 22 Feb 2011 19:46

Jesse: Damn...maybe you are right about that...I was so sure but the more I think about it...maybe it is so? I have not been building for a while and it seems that my memory is not that good :blush:

Well, if that's the case you can use the TRNG script tag that prevents all that I think.