dumb-founded again

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

mugs
Admin
Admin

dumb-founded again

Post by mugs » 18 Jan 2011 18:01

I created an ordinary pool of water in a level I'm building and I'm getting a crash report each time lara jumps in. I have no clue what's up. the crash report says:

............... QUICK DIAGNOSTIC LOG ...............
WARNING: missing Header NG in "TITLE.TR4" level file
WARNING: Probably the [LoadCamera=69395, -4283, 29278, 72285, -4304, 29773, 2] script command has wrong settings
CRASH REASON: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
EXTRA_INFO: VIOLATION ON READ AT OFFSET 0xF6564D67
RECOVERABLE : YES
CRASH OFFSET: 0x44B1B4

I don't understand what it's telling me or how to fix it. what does a load camera setting have to do with a pool of water ? And I don't know what a header NG is. Help please !
Of doggie candle fame!

eTux
Mod
Mod

Re: dumb-founded again

Post by eTux » 18 Jan 2011 18:14

The NG message is mumbo-jumbo to me too - but the crash you described sounds like a perfect match for a situation when you don't have "default sprites" in your wad present. Since they are responsible for water effects while Lara is in water - if they can't be rendered, the game crashes :) The solution is to add the default sprites from any other wad - and reconvert the level.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 18 Jan 2011 18:18

oh Elvis, you will have my heart forever. Thank you !!
Of doggie candle fame!

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 18 Jan 2011 20:58

well, I'm back. I thought for sure replacing the default sprites (I've tried several now) would work, but the program's still crashing. does anyone else have any ideas about what's causing it to crash ?
Of doggie candle fame!

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 18 Jan 2011 21:28

Delete all your texture animation ranges, close the editor down, re-open the editor and reset the ranges and output the level again. If that fails you might also have to delete the water textures from the prj and apply them again.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 18 Jan 2011 22:56

I'm getting myself into so much trouble because I have no idea what I'm doing. I have never used the animation range feature so deleting, resetting and selecting appropriate ranges is foreign to me. I looked for info on a basic set-up and I found your tutorial, Peter, on waterfall issues, but it is pre-TRNG so I'm not sure how to proceed. Here's a pic of what I see when I open the animation range feature and highlight the water texture. Could you lead me through the process or direct me to a tutorial ? Thanks so much! edit: You can't read that, but the info window has: <3thRange> texture index = 12
Attachments
anrg.JPG
Of doggie candle fame!

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 18 Jan 2011 23:20

I'm afraid that tutorial of mine is a bit out of date now Pat, there are tricks to get animating textures working in TRNG levels which are not in the tutorial.

To answer your question, with the textures selected they will have a red border as shown in your pic, press the "R" button and answer yes to the pop up message to reset the ranges. Close the animation range window and re-open it. Select your animating textures by holding the right mouse button and dragging, leave all settings at the default values and click the "assign" button followed by the "ok" button, then close the animation range window. If you open the animation range window again your textures should have a green border indicating they have been set as an animating range. If you output the level again it should work ok.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 18 Jan 2011 23:34

thank you for your patience, Peter! The first try failed with another crash, but I think it may be because of the location of my water tiles. do they need to always be together in the tga so that resetting can be done all at once ?

edit: well, I changed the tga so that when I opened the animation range feature the water tiles were all in a line. I followed the directions, and then replaced the textures ingame, but it's still crashing. :cry:
Of doggie candle fame!

sapper

Post by sapper » 19 Jan 2011 06:53

The latest TRNG has a bug that causes the game to crash when Lara enters water if you are also using mirrors in the level.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 19 Jan 2011 07:09

The header thingie indicates that your title level is not an NG project I think. No need to worry about that. Try to change the camera settings in your script (use f1 in game to get new coordinates) No idea what that has to do with the pool of water as you say though.. :?

Other than that, I have no idea. My best guess is that it has to do with something you might have built that the editor does not like. Like a trapdoor placed wrong etc. (not a trapdoor in this case but something similar)

You can always mail the level to me so I can take a look at it. 4 eyes are always better than 2 :2thumbsup:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Titak

Post by Titak » 19 Jan 2011 17:43

sapper wrote:The latest TRNG has a bug that causes the game to crash when Lara enters water if you are also using mirrors in the level.
This is my guess also since I had the same crashes when jumping into water with version 1.2.2.3.
So if you have this versaion and you have mirror rooms AND water in the same level then it is best to go back to 1.2.2.2 and wait for a bugfix in the next update.
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 19 Jan 2011 18:05

I don't have any mirror rooms, but I think I'll go back to the previous version and see if it will work that way. I've tried everything I can think of. Thanks for everyone's input - I really appreciate it (and thanks to Peter who taught me how to use the animating feature)!
Of doggie candle fame!

Aza

Post by Aza » 19 Jan 2011 18:35

Titak wrote:
sapper wrote:The latest TRNG has a bug that causes the game to crash when Lara enters water if you are also using mirrors in the level.
This is my guess also since I had the same crashes when jumping into water with version 1.2.2.3.
So if you have this versaion and you have mirror rooms AND water in the same level then it is best to go back to 1.2.2.2 and wait for a bugfix in the next update.
I am using 1.2.2.3 with mirrors and water and have no problems with crashing at all :)

At one stage I even had water in the mirror room with no crashing; I had to ditch that idea though as there were no water textures showing in the mirror.
What a wan*er.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 19 Jan 2011 18:43

I have reverted to the previous version and the water is working normally! I am breathing a huge sigh of relief!
Of doggie candle fame!

sapper

Post by sapper » 20 Jan 2011 01:14

Aza wrote: I am using 1.2.2.3 with mirrors and water and have no problems with crashing at all :)

At one stage I even had water in the mirror room with no crashing;
Since you had no problem with a mirror and mugs had the problem without a mirror the bug must have some other cause.
Hopefully Raymond is watching.