Sounds in WadMerger

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Jawi

Sounds in WadMerger

Post by Jawi » 17 Jan 2011 15:36

Why WadMerger doesn't remember the changes I made and keeps all the samples with the wrong pitch, radius and volume? These are ok in Sounds.txt, but in WadMerger they don't want to be so. I downloaded SFX Manager, but it doesn't read TR3 and TR2 sounds, therefore I can't use it. How to fix it?

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Re: Sounds in WadMerger

Post by EssGee » 18 Jan 2011 12:42

Time to learn how to use Screamer. :)
Clicky
http://www.skribblerz.com/screamer1.htm

and clicky again
http://www.skribblerz.com/screamer2.htm
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Titak

Post by Titak » 19 Jan 2011 17:41

Me love Screamer! :2thumbsup:
I used to manually edit the sounds.txt and manually convert tit with DOS-command/prompt but I've never looked back to that once I started using Screamer. :D

I also recommend it, Jawi. 8)
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 19 Jan 2011 18:58

I've learned the hard way, that if a sound in sounds.txt isn't marked a general sound #g, WadMerger doesn't copy it over, when the object associated with the sound is copied from one wad to another.

So that's an alternative to Screamer. I've never managed to make that program work, but if it works for you, everything is just fine.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 20 Jan 2011 06:06

If you are using TR3 and TR2 sounds (I am assuming your level is a TR4 one) you might want to consider reassigning the .wav files of some of the TR4 sound slots for the sounds you want to use. As long as you know which sound slots those are, you will have full control over them whether it be in sounds.txt or WADMerger or whatever else.

Just a thought, not sure if it will make things more or less complicated in your case.

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 20 Jan 2011 13:28

I use a lot of TR3 and TR2 sounds :? . Screamer seems to have problems with them. Also when I save sfx and sam files they are much smaller than the original ones. I suppose that's my fault, because I'm so green... :(

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 21 Jan 2011 06:11

The size of the file will vary depending on how many sounds you include.

TRWad

Post by TRWad » 26 Jan 2011 21:08

* Wow, I still remembered my password *

The TR1/2/3/5 sound importer was made years ago, when TRNG was not yet born. Originally, every possible sound sample has their own ID in the sfx file. There are 370 IDs available in the v129 wad version. However, when importing TR1/2/3/5 objects with sounds into TRLE, this resulted in a total of 1816 different sounds that potentially could be used in TRLE. But there were still just 370 slots available, only a few years ago TRNG increased this limit to 2048 (see TRNG 130 wad screenshot with separate TR3 slots). In order to fit 1816 sounds into 370 slots, sound IDs were made dynamic in WADMerger. That means TR1/2/3/5 sounds are remapped each time you save the wad into unused slots.

There is a consequence of that however. Sounds are stored in the .sfx file, but referenced in the .wad as well. If you recompile the .sfx from the original sounds.txt file, it WILL brake your tr1/2/3/5 sounds. The animations will be left with references to not existing sounds, or worse, to totally different sounds. You will have to manually edit every animation to fix the sounds. Simple example, let's say you didn't had the WATERFALL_LOOP sound in your wad, and copied the tiger from TR3. The tiger sounds took the free space of the waterfall loop. However, next you decide to add the WATERFALL_LOOP sound using sounds.txt, and you rebuild your sfx. Now the tiger will sound like a waterfall, because it was referencing that slot.

When saving a wad in TRNG v130 format, WADMerger will put all TR3 sounds into their own slot, so this problem should be gone then. However, unfortunately I never had much time to finish TRNG sound support, it hasn't been tested very much, although I didn't get many bug reports either. And with a full time job as game developer it's hard to find time to pick it up again. If there are any volunteers to form a team I would be willing to help, I should still have all information about how the sounds are managed in both v129 and v130 wads.

By the way, you can download all the sounds.txt files here, it should include a list of all correct values for TR1/2/3/4/5: http://www.trsearch.org/Projects/SoundP ... dLists.zip

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 27 Jan 2011 13:14

Michiel
Do you know the definite meaning for the letters P V R N?
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 27 Jan 2011 16:55

Hi Michiel,
currently the Soundmanager is unusable because of bugs. It doesn´t save soundbanks and also characteristics like pitch and chance correctly. That´s a pity. If this would work fine, v130-wads would be a really useful option. Then you wouldn´t have to assign tr4-soundbanks instead of the original soundbanks of other tr-games by hand or with the help of Screamer or SoundSFXManager, which can be a lot of additional work. This would come in handy especially in the light of being able to use a lot of tr3/5-objects via the TRNG. So it would be very nice, if a team could fix this and make soundmanager a well working wadmerger addition.