More beginner questions

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

dmdibl

More beginner questions

Post by dmdibl » 17 Nov 2010 23:08

1. How does one delete a trigger? I set up a trigger for a door, then put a switch on the tile, which is reverse order (should be switch first, then the trigger for door). So Lara walks on that tile and the door opens. I set things up correctly in a separate area.

There seems no way to delete a trigger. I tried to click on the trigger in the 2D Plan View, then hit the Delete Key (NOT the Delete Key on the keypad). This does nothing. I tried to click in the trigger box, get the info to come up, and hit "Cancel." This does nothing. I searched the manual. No reference for "delete trigger" or for "remove trigger." There are 143 references to "trigger" to read through, none of which say how to delete a trigger. Searched the forum, found info to do what I was already doing: clicking on trigger in Plan View to highlight it, and then hitting the Delete Key (NOT keypad).

In frustration I accidentally clicked on 3D view, and made a trigger at that point, and now have about six unwanted triggers. :?

2. How does one turn a camera upside down? Lara crosses a monkeyswing. Then the camera shows a large monitor lizard running upside down, following on the monkeyswing (actually an identical duplicate scene right-side up, have the lizard run on that, and use an upside down camera to create the effect).

I tried to use Alt and the arrow keys, kept raising the camera to the vertical, and kept going until the camera is upside down. No good. Doesn't show upside down in game. I tried to roll the flyby camera by 180 degrees. No good. This shows as right-side up, and only then does the camera do a slow roll. Worthless for any illusion. Am I missing something?

3. One can download extra animations. I'm not sure how these work. Will these work for Lara in any outfit, or for a young Lara?

Thank you for any help.

JesseG

Re: More beginner questions

Post by JesseG » 17 Nov 2010 23:48

1. It should work with the "del," key which is above the arrow keys on a full keyboard (with "home", "end", etc.) If you have a laptop then try using fn+delete to simulate the "del" key.

3. Yes, they will work on any LARA object. Just load the anim WAD on the right side in WADMerger with your WAD on the left. You can copy them one-by-one, or all at once by double-clicking the wad name in the right list.

Note - if the animation numbers exceed the amount of slots LARA has, then it will not work. In this case, open LARA and hit "add" to add animation slots until there are enough available.

Dunno about 2, sorry.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 18 Nov 2010 03:24

Thank you, got it.

1. Click on trigger tile in Plan View 2D. Then click below on purple trigger button (to right of brief description). Hit Del (on left of the End Roll key).

3. Good to know. Have downloaded WADMerger to try out.

2. Looks like I won't be designing my M. C. Escher room either.

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 18 Nov 2010 07:06

If you use a flyby camera you can set the Roll to 180 to turn it upside down.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 22 Nov 2010 23:16

@Jesse, How does one add animations to Lara (young Lara, in this case)?

I opened WADMerger 1.95 beta, and loaded Angkor in the left pane. Clicked on the LARA object, to open the animation editor. At the bottom is a button for "Add." Clicked this repeatedly to bring up the animations to read 479.

Back in WADMerger, I tried to load your monkeytoladder into the right pane.

The WAS file is empty, at 0K. Trying to load this results in a "READWAD error code 9. Subscript out of range."

Trying to load the ". monkeytoladder" WAS file results in "Unknown version."

Back in the animation editor, I tried to import, but this demands files of type *.trw so no luck. Do I have the right version of WADMerger? I am doing this on a WindowsME machine, as I had read that WADMerger worked with Windows 98.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 22 Nov 2010 23:43

You need a newer version. The one I am currently using is 1.98 beta 3. When you open it, you should see an "a" next to the other buttons at the top ("m" "s") and then you know that it supports the animation files.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 22 Nov 2010 23:47

Excellent. Thanks for your fast reply.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 25 Nov 2010 18:24

A question on monkey to ladder animation.

Young Lara monkey swings on a one click high ledge. She goes to side. Down+Right Arrow and she rotates and leaps upward 4 or 5 clicks, then falls to grab the upper side of the ledge. This looks like something a wolf would do.

The 475 animation is sufficient in itself to reach the upper side of the ledge, without the leap with 028 animation. For 475, I changed the next animation to 029 (formerly 028) to grab and hang on ledge. This sort of works, but Lara doesn't grab automatically. Have to release the Ctrl key, then press it again at the precise moment when Lara's hands are at the upper ledge. Tricky. Maybe too tricky.

Animation 475, ID state 10 fails, because need the upward jump. So starting with animation 475, ID state 28, I think Lara needs to transition to ID state 10 and then to animation 029 or 96.

After a few more hours work....Used the WADMerger change ID state. For animation 475, hit the 1,2 button (with a little arrow), entered ID state 11 (mid-air grab), low frame 18, high frame 20, change to animation 029, and then click on add. Animation 475 now has a blue band on the last three frames of the animation. Tested it and this doesn't work. Lara grabs the first time, but then never grabs again.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 25 Nov 2010 22:36

When you push down and right, are you holding the keys? Holding down actually moves Lara away from the ledge as she goes up in the air (same with a regular jump upward). Try just pushing the keys, not holding them, and see if it works.

To be honest I've never tried it with a one-click ledge above. I've always done at least 2 clicks. Maybe that is related to the issue.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 26 Nov 2010 16:59

I don't think that's really related. The point is that I've tried about twenty different things, and some of them work. They always work at the spot where Lara jumps up from the pillar.

(I tried the following before using WADMerger to change ID states.)

I changed ID state from 028 to 027, which shouldn't make any sense. The next animation after 475 is 29. Lara gets on the pillar, jumps up to monkey swing, moves to its edge. The animation shows her smoothly rotating around and grabbing one click up, then hanging by both hands. This works ten times out of ten. I breathe a sigh of relief. Looks good, Lara gets on top of ledge with monkey swing.

Next test with Lara further down the monkey swing--the rest of it is completely over water. Now the move never works. Lara rotates, her hands go up above the ledge--almost a click above--she seems to freeze, falls down past the ledge without grabbing. This is with Ctrl held down. But rapidly releasing and pressing Ctrl doesn't work either.

NEXT DAY EDIT: Oops! Young Lara has small hands. Advance her forward and she is actually off the monkey swing edge, in front of it. And the Set Grab Position (-110, 10), which is seven clicks above, maybe works better as a revised Set Position.

NEXT WEEK EDIT: Young Lara can't do jumps of grownup Lara. There is a courtyard jump in Aegean Legends, Santorini Intermesso, that requires Lara to hesitate on a slope, so she starts to slide, before doing a back flip/twist. Young Lara can't make this jump, regardless.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 04 Dec 2010 06:52

This is quite interesting. I've never worked with the young Lara so it is possible that she behaves differently somehow...because of different dimensions perhaps? Sorry that I wasn't able to help much with this.