Questions from beginner builder

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

bedazzled

Re: Questions from beginner builder

Post by bedazzled » 27 Dec 2010 20:30

In the 3D window sselect the floor of the room and press the "COPY" button, this will give you a copy of the room without lights and objects. You can them remove the parts of the room you don't want.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

daffy

Post by daffy » 27 Dec 2010 20:49

Thank you, I will study it more closely ! :wink:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

daffy

Post by daffy » 02 Jan 2011 16:01

Hello,

I have two questions for the price of one. :D
textinfos.jpg
The first : the textinfos What is in a level ?
The second : how to reduce them ?

Thank you in advance ! :wink:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 02 Jan 2011 16:22

Tex infos are records where are stored origin (x,y) and size (sx, sy) for each texture or its portion applicated in the project.
You would need to reduce the number of different textures used in the level, not the number of textures in the tga.

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 02 Jan 2011 16:36

daffy wrote: The second : how to reduce them ?
You can also reduce them by clicking "Remove unused Tailinfos" in the Textures menu. This way you can remove some of them. (It's sometimes only a little more than 10, but it can even be hundreds!)

daffy

Post by daffy » 02 Jan 2011 18:04

OK I understand, I actually used a lot of textures! :-P

Thank you both! :)

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 02 Jan 2011 22:44

Instead of copying a room you can split it into 2 rooms.
Just select half of the room in the 2D window and click the Split Room button. The selected sectors become the new room. The original room is still the same size but the selected sectors are now wall sectors. Just select the other sectors and click Bound Room. Now you can connect the 2 rooms if you want to so they still look like a single room.

But if you have too many objects in one room it can also affect how fast the level will play. Even if you split into 2 rooms it will have to display all of the objects in both rooms. If you get too many objects the game might slow down so much you can't play it.

daffy

Post by daffy » 03 Jan 2011 05:01

Hello aktrekker ,

Thanks a lot for your information ! :2thumbsup:

I discovered "split" function further to my problems of pieces too big, it is indeed very practical. The revert of the medal it is because I think that my problems of textinfos too many are linked to the cutting up of pieces. (I can make a mistake) but fortunately function "Remove unused Tailinfos" pointed out by Matie is efficient, I passed of textinfo 1023 in about 500, of blow everything goes much better ! :D

daffy

Post by daffy » 08 Jan 2011 21:11

Hello,

I have a small problem, in my level as I horizon with mountains above the sky with clouds moving. In the script so I "Horizon = Enabled", far so good ! :D
For the title screen, I applied the same method to the scipt ([Title]), but there is nothing to do, the sky is black :angry: (I can see the mountains)

Someone has an idea to submit myself to address this concern ? :)

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 08 Jan 2011 21:38

To have clouds as well as having horizon enabled you also need a Layer1= line in the level , try adding this one Layer1= 160,160,192,7
Last edited by bedazzled on 09 Jan 2011 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

daffy

Post by daffy » 08 Jan 2011 21:54

Ok thank you :) , for heaven it works ... but I have another problem with the texts ! :?
Capture.jpg
By the way ...What do the values 160,160,192,7 ? (Edit, ,I have the answer, color and speed)

tombrdr

Post by tombrdr » 10 Jan 2011 01:11

Hi,
I'm hardly a beginner but need a refresher course so I am going to do the tutorial but for now I am having trouble with the editor itself. I cannot seem to get the arrows on my keyboard to rotate the rooms while in the editor nor other controls to zoom in and out on the map. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thank you so much!

Deb

daffy

Post by daffy » 10 Jan 2011 09:26

Hello,

NG with the editor, just press the Shift key at the same time as the arrows to turn over the card gently. (if I understood your question ) :)

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 10 Jan 2011 12:15

tombrdr wrote:Hi,
I'm hardly a beginner...
hej,
You can say that, even me late entrant knows and likes your levels. :2thumbsup:
Nice to se you here. :)

:| I doubt it is this, but mention it anyway :

If you are using NGLE winroomedit, with objects displayed rotating could become infuriatingly slow. With "draw doors" even more so, at least on a computer as old & weak as mine so much you'd think it doesn't rotate at all.
I am not aware if newer versions of NGLE winroomedit have overcome this.

Cure : the "Hide Objects" button. Hide objects "on", rotate and zoom, hide objects "off" again, and so on ...
I hear you can get used to it after a while.
Never "output wad" with objects hidden, or they will be really removed. (a warning should pop up.)
--------------------

Not really a solution, but good anyway, and to see if your winroomedit rotates and zooms at all (?) : the mousepatch.
This program will add mouse rotate, zoom and panning to the room editor's 3d-view:
http://larson.la.ohost.de/mousepatch.html

Good luck
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 10 Jan 2011 17:46

Daffy, where did you get the horizon from, in your title screen? I'm thinking the textures on it do not have the right attributes, but I forget which ones they are supposed to have. :blush: