Two Metasequoia queries

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Jawi

Two Metasequoia queries

Post by Jawi » 07 Nov 2009 21:21

Hello :hello:
I'm not good at Meta. Tutorials don't help me very much. Every time I try to do something in this program I only get angry :beadyeyes: .
1. Sizes. I know 102.4 is TRLE 4 clicks but every time I try to insert them like in Bedazzled's tutorial ( http://www.skribblerz.net/pushblockpart1.swf ) they change into original numbers. What I can do with it?
2. Exporting. I made object but I can't export it from Meta it is in other position than I set. I tried with "Swap" commands but it doesn't work.

Greetings
Jawi

Anurag

Re: Two Metasequoia queries

Post by Anurag » 07 Nov 2009 23:26

:hi: Jawi
I had a doubt, Do you swap YZ axis and multiply with 0.01 while exporting from Meta??

I am myself a newbie at Meta, I found this tutorial helpful when I was remodeling a weapon.

http://www.trsearch.org/Tutorial.php?action=gettut&id=8

Anurag

*waits for experts to comment*
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 08 Nov 2009 11:43

Second problem solved :) .

Titak

Post by Titak » 08 Nov 2009 11:59

Make sure your regional settings (Via Control Panel/Country settings) are set to English so a dot is used where mainland Europeans use a comma for digitals numbers.
Example: 10,5 is 10 and a half. In the English setting this is written as 10.5. And this is the setting that Meta needs so you use 102.4 to recreate the exact TRLE grid sizes. :2thumbsup:

Anurag is right about SwapYZ. But you will only have to do this if you created your object from scratch and when you loaded an object using SwapYZ.
This will change the orientation of the object. Is that indeed what goes wrong? That the object is on its side after exporting from Meta?

Or is it the position on the tile? Like you placed your object in the middle of the tile but after importing it into your wad it is suddenly at the side of the tile or something like that?
If this is the case, then what slot are you trying to put that object in?
Because if you overwrite the mesh of an object which does not have its point of origin (point of pivot) in the centre of a tile, your custom mesh will not sit where you have planned it to sit. It will then use the point of origin of the mesh you replaced.
This does not happen with static objects, but only with objects in an animating slot. Their position on the tile is often changed because they have some animation assigned to them, even if this animation is just one frame to make the object sit at the side of the tile instead of in the middle.
So instead of changing the object's position in Meta you could also change the position in WADMerger Animation Editor.
Or you could find yourself a base object which does have its point of origin in the middle of the tile.
Then it does not matter where you place the object in Meta, it will then always have that same position ingame, like with static objects. :D
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 08 Nov 2009 14:44

Titak, I read your post on TRF :D , but I checked it. I have set English. I write in this box (create/property with ticked "Cube") 102 and when I press dot other numbers change like they were before. Every time.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 08 Nov 2009 15:15

For the numbers that won't stick, make sure that NumLock is activated on your keyboard.

For your object's 'wrong position', a little more info could be helpful, especially the import and export options you've been using, what kind of object it is, and in what way exactly its position is wrong. (A screen might be useful as well.) :)

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 08 Nov 2009 15:52

NumLock is activated.

As I said the second peoblem i solved :)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 08 Nov 2009 16:00

Yep, noticed it eventually. :-p

Anyway, you mean NumLock is activated, and still your numbers won't stick? In that case, and if your Regional Settings are set to US...I'm afraid I've run out of ideas. :(

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 08 Nov 2009 17:10

Is the control panel the same as "Configuration"? If not where is the control panel?

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 08 Nov 2009 17:31

"Configuration" refers to the Metasequoia-specific settings. "Control Panel" is the thing where you adjust the general settings of your Windows version. :)

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 08 Nov 2009 18:24

Oh, now it's clear :) . So, if I have Polish setted in my Control Panel what I have to write in Meta? Because I don't have to change language for the whole computer, do I?

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 08 Nov 2009 20:09

Jawi wrote:Oh, now it's clear :) . So, if I have Polish setted in my Control Panel what I have to write in Meta? Because I don't have to change language for the whole computer, do I?
I think this might be of some help as by default the decimal separator is "," for Polish regional settings to change it to "."
(the item name in Control panel will differ in Different Windows version, I am using Win Vista)

goto Control Panel -> Regional and Language options -> Formats tab

click on "Customize this format"
goto Numbers tab and change the decimal symbol from "," to "." click on OK on both the windows OR use "," instead of "." in 102.4 as stated by Titak earlier

That should do the trick.
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 09 Nov 2009 11:25

I can't write "," in Meta :( . Thanks for the instructions :2thumbsup: .

11.11:
Solved! Thanks people :) !