Issues with Inventory items and Crossbow animations

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Anurag

Issues with Inventory items and Crossbow animations

Post by Anurag » 17 Oct 2009 09:10

I hope there isn't a rule over here not to open multiple threads one after the other. :lol:

Well I am facing few issues with the inventory items. Any pointers on solving this would be helpful :bandana: (Each problem is followed by a screenshot)

1. I am using a revolver object (Download: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1928) for my project, in the inventory the item looks the same, when combined with Laser sight and as an individual item, I would like to have the lasersight removed when it is not combined with Revolver.

Revolver Without LaserSight in Inventory

Revolver combined With LaserSight

2. The ROPE object has a strange black outline (wireframe) around it.

3. How can I increase the size and height of normal inventory items like revolvers, ammo, save and load, I don't see anything in the script encyclopedia @ Trsearch for this.

Check the revolver in the pic below, if possible also let me know how do i change its orientation I would like to rotate it by 90 degrees (like other weapons, along the breadth and not along the length)

4. When Lara shoots from the Crossbow, her animation goes into infinite loop.
Click to view the video (playtime: 6seconds size:700KB)

5. I have downloaded an EXAMINE object(http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2149) and put it into EXAMINE3 slot, I have also added an entry in my script file as:

Code: Select all

Examine= 		3,PDA, 			$0002,$0300,$0000,$4000,$0000,$0002
Now when I pick up the item, or view it in inventory (without pressing examine), the item is shown upside down (180 degree flipped), but when I examine the same, it comes up correctly. I tried experimenting with script values after going through the script tutorial @ trsearch.org, but if i modify the pickup rotation, the item would not appear correctly when examined.

Notice the main item in middle and the rotation after it is picked up in bottom left corner. It should appear the same for both, with the buttons at left side.

PS: I am using TRNG Mk1

Anurag :balloon:
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

Mulf

Re: Issues with Inventory items and Crossbow animations

Post by Mulf » 17 Oct 2009 18:04

1.) You would have to edit the object itself—the original SIXSHOOTER_ITEM has four meshes (you need at least two in order to separate the lasersight from the gun itself), while this one appears to consist of only one single mesh.

2.) Somebody has changed the look of the sprite, intentionally or not. If you want to use the standard TR4 sprites, just replace your current DEFAULT_SPRITES with those from the tut1 wad.

3.) The Script Encyclopedia is indeed a valuable resource. :) It's no wonder, however, that it doesn't say anything about changing the appearance of standard inventory items via the script, because, sadly, you can't. The values for weapons and associated objects, medipacks, "quest items", etc., are hardcoded, therefore their appearance in the inventory can only be altered by modifying the object itself.

4.) Again, this looks like a custom object problem. Chances are the "next anim" value is wrong.

5.) As you've found out, in one of two cases this object will look upside down, and you can only change in which case it will and in which case it won't. You can probably best live with it if it looks upside down in standard view, and correctly if you actually "examine" it up close.

Bottom line...be very careful when using any customized objects. :-P

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 17 Oct 2009 21:09

Hi Mulf, :jump4:

Thanks for responding, you are a true saviour :blush: , kindly go through my inline comments
Mulf wrote:1.) You would have to edit the object itself—the original SIXSHOOTER_ITEM has four meshes (you need at least two in order to separate the lasersight from the gun itself), while this one appears to consist of only one single mesh.
So, does that mean if I somehow split the mesh into two, it will happen on its own in the inventory?? If so can you give me directions on how to do that?? Would like to learn something so that I dont have to keep on disturbing the experts or litter the forums with many such topics :)
Mulf wrote:2.) Somebody has changed the look of the sprite, intentionally or not. If you want to use the standard TR4 sprites, just replace your current DEFAULT_SPRITES with those from the tut1 wad.
That did the trick :2thumbsup:
Mulf wrote:3.) The Script Encyclopedia is indeed a valuable resource. :) It's no wonder, however, that it doesn't say anything about changing the appearance of standard inventory items via the script, because, sadly, you can't. The values for weapons and associated objects, medipacks, "quest items", etc., are hardcoded, therefore their appearance in the inventory can only be altered by modifying the object itself.
Well, thats a bummer :(
Mulf wrote:4.) Again, this looks like a custom object problem. Chances are the "next anim" value is wrong.
Can this be due to LARA object??? I so wanted to use the grappling gun :( :-P , because I copied everything apart from the lara object as I am using a custom outfit and was not sure if I would lose the outfit on overwriting the object.
Mulf wrote:5.) As you've found out, in one of two cases this object will look upside down, and you can only change in which case it will and in which case it won't. You can probably best live with it if it looks upside down in standard view, and correctly if you actually "examine" it up close.
Thats okay with me, if its a FACT OF LIFE :balloon:

Thanks
Anurag.

PS: Getting used to writing posts in email style (with smilies :wink: )
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 18 Oct 2009 15:31

Anurag wrote:
Mulf wrote:1.) You would have to edit the object itself—the original SIXSHOOTER_ITEM has four meshes (you need at least two in order to separate the lasersight from the gun itself), while this one appears to consist of only one single mesh.
So, does that mean if I somehow split the mesh into two, it will happen on its own in the inventory?? If so can you give me directions on how to do that??
I suppose I could do that, but that would amount to being something of an "Introduction to 3D Editing", a task I'm not really prepared to spend time and work on now. :-P
The general idea, however, is that the original revolver object consists (as I said) of four meshes, the weapon itself, the lasersight, and two more meshes originally intended to allow for a combination of weapon and flashlight, but this latter option has never actually been implemented. At any rate, for combining revolver and lasersight there is an algorithm which works roughly along the lines of, IF_COMBINE SIXSHOOTER ITEM LASERSIGHT_ITEM THEN_DISPLAY SIXSHOOTER_ITEM MESH_1 AND MESH_4, or in other words (I'm not a programmer myself, lol), the lasersight mesh is there all the time, but it doesn't get displayed in the inventory unless you use the "combine" command.
Having had a closer look at the wad at trsearch, I found that the only mesh that has actually been overwritten is the weapon itself (with the lasersight already attached to it), while the lasersight mesh (mesh #6) has been textured invisible, and that's what I suspected. Theoretically it would suffice to simply do it the other way round—retexture the lasersight mesh, and instead make the lasersight bit that is already attached to the weapon invisible.
However, that's not the only problem; this would only solve the inventory issue, but the weapon as displayed in Lara's hands would still remain the same and look like it has the lasersight attached to it all the time, because the same thing applies to SIXSHOOTER_ANIM and LARA_REVOLVER_LASER—both are the same. Plus, there is no LARA_HOLSTERS_SIXSHOOTER, meaning that when Lara holsters this weapon, you'll still see the old revolver, doh. Now, you could make one yourself, but that would involve not only a modification of the object, but also the remapping of vertices; and I'm not sure I'd go so far as to invest that much work in an object which is (all things considered) technically still a revolver that just doesn't look like a revolver. :? I mean, it's supposed to be a kind of machine pistol, but its behaviour and its sounds are nevertheless still those of a revolver (and it doesn't look like a weapon that you'd carry around in a holster anyway). So in short, I don't think it's worth the trouble.
Anurag wrote:
Mulf wrote:4.) Again, this looks like a custom object problem. Chances are the "next anim" value is wrong.
Can this be due to LARA object??? I so wanted to use the grappling gun :( :-P , because I copied everything apart from the lara object as I am using a custom outfit and was not sure if I would lose the outfit on overwriting the object.
No, the problem would be with the CROSSBOW_ANIM. Can't say anything more specific though, as I would have to have a closer look at that one too, and in this case you unfortunately forgot to give a link. :D

Finally, as for the custom PDA, I suppose you realized that there's only one "Petepoo" section in the English.txt, meaning that this PDA would always display the same message, regardless of whether you're making a single level or a game consisting of more than one?

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 18 Oct 2009 19:21

Mulf wrote: The general idea, however, is that the original revolver object consists (as I said) of four meshes, the weapon itself, the lasersight, and two more meshes originally intended to allow for a combination of weapon and flashlight, but this latter option has never actually been implemented. At any rate, for combining revolver and lasersight there is an algorithm which works roughly along the lines of, IF_COMBINE SIXSHOOTER ITEM LASERSIGHT_ITEM THEN_DISPLAY SIXSHOOTER_ITEM MESH_1 AND MESH_4, or in other words (I'm not a programmer myself, lol), the lasersight mesh is there all the time, but it doesn't get displayed in the inventory unless you use the "combine" command.
Having had a closer look at the wad at trsearch, I found that the only mesh that has actually been overwritten is the weapon itself (with the lasersight already attached to it), while the lasersight mesh (mesh #6) has been textured invisible, and that's what I suspected. Theoretically it would suffice to simply do it the other way round—retexture the lasersight mesh, and instead make the lasersight bit that is already attached to the weapon invisible.
Even if done the other way it would still rotate vertically (as shown in the pic in first post), I actually took the pain to go through Meta and strpix, exported the gun to meta, split it into 2 meshes rotated the obj, reimported in strpix got em textured (http://stashbox.org/665524/sixshooter.zip), but when I load this in Wadmerger the animation editor shows only a single mesh with the revolver and no laser sight. I had deleted the rest of the meshes from the original object by mistake and hence this problem.

The resultant is as shown, the only problem is the lasersight :-P

Mulf wrote: However, that's not the only problem; this would only solve the inventory issue, but the weapon as displayed in Lara's hands would still remain the same and look like it has the lasersight attached to it all the time, because the same thing applies to SIXSHOOTER_ANIM and LARA_REVOLVER_LASER—both are the same. Plus, there is no LARA_HOLSTERS_SIXSHOOTER, meaning that when Lara holsters this weapon, you'll still see the old revolver, doh. Now, you could make one yourself, but that would involve not only a modification of the object, but also the remapping of vertices; and I'm not sure I'd go so far as to invest that much work in an object which is (all things considered) technically still a revolver that just doesn't look like a revolver. :? I mean, it's supposed to be a kind of machine pistol, but its behaviour and its sounds are nevertheless still those of a revolver (and it doesn't look like a weapon that you'd carry around in a holster anyway). So in short, I don't think it's worth the trouble.
Its looking fine when equipped by LARA (I observed there were 2 meshes with a hand and revolver one has lasersight invisible other had it visible) as far as holsters are concerned I am planning to drop them so I have overwritten uzi holsters and revolver holsters with the empty holsters (Check pistol holsters of outfit located @ http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1584 the weapons seem to get disappear inside lara's outfit :D), I wish I would have gone through this comment before trying to fix it up myself :cry: . I think I gotta drop this for now.
Mulf wrote:No, the problem would be with the CROSSBOW_ANIM. Can't say anything more specific though, as I would have to have a closer look at that one too, and in this case you unfortunately forgot to give a link. :D
I am using only Crossbow item, crossbow laser, anim, ammo1-3 and bolt items from this WAD (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1587) whereas the Lara object and other weapons (most of them) are from here (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1584)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 18 Oct 2009 23:15

Anurag wrote: Its looking fine when equipped by LARA (I observed there were 2 meshes with a hand and revolver one has lasersight invisible other had it visible)
You're right, apparently I was assuming too much and allowed myself to be mislead by the review that stated there was no LARA_REVOLVER_LASER. :blush: (Note to self: Always, always try it yourself in game.)
Anurag wrote: as far as holsters are concerned I am planning to drop them so I have overwritten uzi holsters and revolver holsters with the empty holsters (Check pistol holsters of outfit located @ http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1584 the weapons seem to get disappear inside lara's outfit :D), I wish I would have gone through this comment before trying to fix it up myself :cry: . I think I gotta drop this for now.
If you're fine with this way of getting rid of the guns, no problem. :)
As for the revolver behaviour, I have no idea to what extent (if any at all) TRNG allows for the firing rate, damage, etc. to be modified (but I know you can do that with TREP). I suppose you'd need an appropriate animation anyway, but...ah well. :roll:
Anurag wrote: I am using only Crossbow item, crossbow laser, anim, ammo1-3 and bolt items from this WAD (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1587) whereas the Lara object and other weapons (most of them) are from here (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1584)
Well, testing the ropegun anim in game in combination with a standard wad, I didn't encounter the problem you mentioned. I wouldn't expect the LARA object to be the problem, though, because the actual shooting animation, which seems to be the one causing the problem, is a separate item in a slot of its own. I've yet to try and combine the LARA you're referring to with this specific CROSSBOW_ANIM, but I should think that something's gone wrong with one of your previous wad modifications. What I would try at any rate is to rebuild the wad from its original sources (at least as far as any objects associated with LARA are concerned).

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 19 Oct 2009 07:52

I have reverted back to the original TR4 revolver :), and it works without any problems.

As for the crossbow anim, I suspect Animation2(animation editor) in CROSSBOW_ANIM as there is no animation in that slot, I replaced crossbow_anim from another source(that of a grappling gun I was able to find one on a backup DVD) and it works out as expected. You were right it was a problem with Crossbow_anim.
As for the revolver behaviour, I have no idea to what extent (if any at all) TRNG allows for the firing rate, damage, etc. to be modified
I haven't tried TREnginePatcher yet but the same can be achieved through TRNG, I haven't tried it myself though. Tutorial here.

Thanks again for helping me out :2thumbsup: .

Anurag