TRNG discussion/bug thread 3

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

eTux
Mod
Mod

TRNG discussion/bug thread 3

Post by eTux » 12 Sep 2009 10:12

The last thread was so huge, so I decided it's high time to start a new one :)

You can find the previous threads in the links below:
Thread 1
Thread 2

Feel free to continue your queries and news as usual here :)

Howaito

Re: TRNG discussion/bug thread 3

Post by Howaito » 21 Sep 2009 18:35

Hello, again! I have found two bugs which I have no idea how to solve!

1) In game, using the TRNG tomb4 exe, when I go to the inventory or pause and unpause, textures within the game disappear! It's just black everything. Is there a reason why? :(

2) Strangely the flip effect to take away all weapons and ammunition for Lara turns her invisible and still with guns! Is this an error with the WAD?

Thanks! :D
The Cartoon World Returns March MMX

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 21 Sep 2009 22:14

1) Yes, there is. You should build the scripts newly after every update.
2) This may be related to the first issue. The flipeffect functions well otherwise.

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 24 Sep 2009 14:17

Have ever happened one strange and funny thing, that you can move in main screen of game? I don't remember which custom it was, but I loaded one of games(there are few in New game) and I found myself in room from main screen. But I couldn't go down, because it was too high. I think, there is no way to go there.
Did anybody have the same?

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 01 Oct 2009 03:14

While playing Silent hill 5 I was thinking....would it be possible to recreate something similar as in the silent hill games when the surroundings changes to this "hellrasier" kind of world? Maybe with the weather flipeffects? I remember seeing a demo by paolone where it snows and after a while all is white etc.

Also the new fog features would be really cool for a Silent hill level. Dense fog!! I can't make any objects or enemies though but still...maybe I could try making a small silent hill level some day and someone else could help me with the rest if it looks good?

Anyway, just an idea.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 02 Oct 2009 20:01

I am using TRNG MK1, I have made an observation when I click on "Setup tomb4", the settings dialog opens; here even if I press CANCEL, the application displays an info message "New Settings have been changed successfully : OK".

I haven't really seen whether the changed configurations are reflected or not(i.e whether it is a bug or a false positive message)

Sorry, If this has already been posted.
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 07 Oct 2009 11:07

Another observation I made in TRNG MK1 is that after I use the "Move Lara here" button, if I want to place the preselected Object by clicking "Place Object" button, it places another Lara object on the map.

Eg: Suppose I had Crocodile Object selected in Object panel, now if I use Move Lara here and then click place object, it places another Lara object, instead of placing a crocodile object which is being displayed in object panel.
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 07 Oct 2009 20:20

The "Move Lara here" button is obviously only for moving Lara around! :roll:

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 08 Oct 2009 06:10

Raymond wrote:The "Move Lara here" button is obviously only for moving Lara around! :roll:
:-o hehe I know that mate

What I wanted to say was, if I have object X, selected in my Object panel and I use Move Lara here option, the object panel still shows Object X as selected.

Now when I click place object and click anywhere on my map, this will place another Lara object instead of placing Object X on my map.

my point is either the object which is selected should be placed or the object panel should be refreshed and it should show Lara object

inchdix

Post by inchdix » 10 Oct 2009 16:39

Well I have finally installed this and had a brief look at the new functions and it seems like a lovely tool to play with ...... especially now that I have found that holding the shift key while rotating/zooming rooms will stop the ridiculous spinning in XP. Its DOG SLOW with texts on and draw doors enabled but I think thats maybe due to a dual core issue ?? (my laptop is centrino duo 2.0Ghz, 2Gb ram, 512Mb dedicated Nvidia 7900GS)

There are certainly a lot of new and usefull features and the greatly increased limits should negate a lot of issues.

The only thing I realy find strange is that the a trigger limit has not been increased ...... Its still the same 512, even though you can have double the objects?? Certainly in the case of flame emmiters you need at least 2 triggers for each ..... unless of course Paolone has done away with the flare bug ???

Just a thought ...... very nice otherwise though!!!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 10 Oct 2009 17:01

Raymond is the expert on this but I THINK you can place more emiters without getting the flarebug now. Try it out!

Also, I reduce the flame emitter triggers by using the 1-5 codebits as much as I can. But that will of course not work if you want to antitrigger them and trigger them again in areas etc.

Never reached 512 triggers btw. I think I did reach 450 something in one of my E&B levels. No idea what happens if you go past it...maybe the same as what happened in the old editor when reaching 2000 "statics"?

The slow issue is really irritating, yes. I think that is the only part where the old trle was better. You will have to get used to disabling textures and draw doors while building. It helps a bit. The main reason for it is the objects though. Paolone is aware of this but I don't think he has been able to fix it. Overall though, I would never go bak to the old trle due to all weird crashes that could happen while building. It happens very rarely in TRNG or NGLE.

I often use the "hide objects" button when I want things to go faster in a large room. Like texturing or just finding a spot which is hard to reach etc. But it is very important that you press it again and heed the warnings while using it!!! It actually deletes the objects and brings them back again. I have NEVER had any problems with it but I know of people who has forgotten to press it again, saved the project and gotten everything from evil errors to corrupt projects! Backup is a must and caution. I use it all the time though, and I think it is a great feature! But do NOT place more objects or save or output your wad while using it!

inchdix

Post by inchdix » 10 Oct 2009 18:59

Hi Anders ...... I think I have only ever got to about 350 triggers, but that was with just over 200 objects ...... I'm pretty sure it will actually never really be an issue ..... I just found it an odd ommission considering almost every other limit is at least quadrupled.

Anyhow, for now I am going to carry on with the old LE but as soon as I reach the limits with what I am currently building, I know I have the option to carry on in TRNG (assuming I am not finished ....LOL).

My main reason for this is untill I can enlarge and enhance my text set in some satisfactory way, the old editor copes just fine (plus its what I'm used to!). The thought of retextering 1000 or so rooms is not something I want to entertain right now.

Obviously, starting an entirely new project, then TRNG would be what I would use!

As for some of the features you mention ...... I'll tread carefully when using them....LOL

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 10 Oct 2009 19:41

Another way of doing it would be to use the middle version that Paolone released before TRNG.

It is called NGLE and the lastest version can still be downloaded at skribblerz. If you use that version it will be playble on mac (at least 99% sure about this) and still use a lot of cool new features. The memory is boosted and you can use HQ textures too! Object limit is 256 still but the texture memory is about 4 times as much. Same goes for 2000 obejcts limit I think. (6000)

I guess you can call it a boosted more stable original editor. If you know the old editor (which you do lol!!) you migth need to learn 5-10% of new stuff nothing big. No NG scripter or advanced script learning etc. With TRNG is is like 80% new things :)

Also, in both NGLE and TRNG you can use the map converter tool to convert all textures to 128x128 Then put your new textures that you want to replace the old ones with in the TGA and all is done! I could not do that for E&B2 though...as most of them are 256x256..so It took a few months to do it by hand :lol:

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 10 Oct 2009 20:56

Hi inchdix,
yes, the flare bug shouldn´t be a problem, because Paolone has raised the limit for dynamic lights from 32 up to 128.
With the trng you have several means to expand the use of triggers. I already used the absolute limit of 512 triggers with out the trng in my last limit and I guess I`ll easily go beyond the equivalent of more than 1000 in the level, I`m currently building. :)

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 10 Oct 2009 21:11

Would like to check your script file, Raymond. How large is it? 1 meg full of global triggers? :lol: