Brad's stupid questions thread

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Skyld

Re: Brad's stupid questions thread

Post by Skyld » 14 Jun 2010 15:37

I have a sound problem :(

Whenever I'm testing my level and Lara hits a wall, the drawing-guns-from-holsters sound plays. I open my WAD in WADMerger and see that animations 53 and 54 are indeed set to play the LARA_DRAW sound. I check tut1.was to see what sound should and see that it's an unnamed sound with an ID of 27 which doesn't appear in the drop-down list of sounds. I try using the "add sounds" command to put it in, noting as I do so that sound 27 is the only sample without a name. Checking the box and clicking "add selected" gives me a runtime error and closes the program.

*goes off to check if a sound is actually played in the TRLE-provided levels*

Okay, so it turns out there isn't, but I'm going to post this anyway just for the sake of knowing. Is TRLE's omission of this sound intentional? Should a sound be playing here, and if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The highest resolution my laptop monitor can display is 1366 x 786. As a result, I can't view the bottommost parts of the editor window. Is there a way to get round this? I've tried updating my TRNG with a fresh install (as my laptop doesn't seem to have NG_Center or up-to-date versions or TRNG or NGLE), but with both the "TRNGFullInstall.exe" and "trngmk1.exe" files, I get the following error:

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, if that helps things.

Any help would be appreciated :)
carrot on a stick lol

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 14 Jun 2010 18:36

I will check sound 27 at home for you (I put the entire sound list into an excel-table for easy acces). But the lack of a name gives me a feeling, that the sound has sneaked in with a custom object and has corrupted your wad. Did you add a custom object to your WAD?

In the older games Lara said "oomph", when she hit walls. And I suspect the reference to that sound is still in the animations and now acts up.

Perhaps you can work your way around this by either deleting this sound reference or by copying the animations 53-54 from one of the revised wads and get a pair of "clean" animations.

If you added a custom object to your WAD, you might have to delete it and restore the sounds for the WAD (can't this be done in some way?) and in a dummy-WAD containing only the "bad" custom object reassign its sounds to fit your WAD, before you add it again.
When I make my own objects with sounds, I always keep track of what sound slots I have already used in that WAD (thus the excel-tables) and use empty sound slots for the new object.

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 14 Jun 2010 18:59

Skyld wrote:EDIT: The highest resolution my laptop monitor can display is 1366 x 786. As a result, I can't view the bottommost parts of the editor window. Is there a way to get round this? I've tried updating my TRNG with a fresh install (as my laptop doesn't seem to have NG_Center or up-to-date versions or TRNG or NGLE), but with both the "TRNGFullInstall.exe" and "trngmk1.exe" files, I get the following error:
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/172/ ... icture.png

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, if that helps things.

Any help would be appreciated :)
If you press Alt+Enter, you will be able to see the bottom part of the editor.
I've had the "Invalid picture" error before too (this problem must be related to Win7), try to change the compatibility settings or right click on the exe and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility". It worked for me after running it with compatibility set to Windows XP SP2.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 14 Jun 2010 21:47

Fluen wrote:I will check sound 27 at home for you (I put the entire sound list into an excel-table for easy acces). But the lack of a name gives me a feeling, that the sound has sneaked in with a custom object and has corrupted your wad. Did you add a custom object to your WAD?

In the older games Lara said "oomph", when she hit walls. And I suspect the reference to that sound is still in the animations and now acts up.
It was the original tut1 WAD which contained the command to play the empty "27" sound. I assume that it's as you say - the sound no longer exists but the reference wasn't taken out.

I ended up just deleting the reference to the holster sound, but if I ever get hold of an "oomph" sample I might add it back in.
Matie wrote:If you press Alt+Enter, you will be able to see the bottom part of the editor.
I've had the "Invalid picture" error before too (this problem must be related to Win7), try to change the compatibility settings or right click on the exe and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility". It worked for me after running it with compatibility set to Windows XP SP2.
Pressing alt and enter works perfectly. Thanks =)

Unfortunately, trying to run the two executables under Windows XP SP2 compatibility (which is what the "troubleshoot compatibility" option set it to) still resulted in an "Invalid Picture" error =(
carrot on a stick lol

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 16 Jun 2010 13:01

I checked the sound slot 27 and it says: "don't use this space". So even if you get the oomph-sound, you'll have to assign it to another sound slot, because the game engine doesn't use this slot anymore. That's probably the reason for the crash in WADmerger.

You can find a set of ripped sounds from TR2 at TRsearch. Lara says "oomph" in that game. Perhaps Bedazzled's tutorial about how to add the "aha", when Lara takes a pickup, may be able to help you add the "oomph" to the correct animations.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 16 Jun 2010 14:23

That'd explain a lot. Thanks =)

Thanks for the heads-up about the tutorial, too. I'll make sure to utilize it at some point.
carrot on a stick lol

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 10 Jul 2010 13:32

By the way, I have just played Christoph's "Land of the Rising Sun". A good level, which also makes use of a sound, when Lara hits a wall. He uses one of the unused general sound slots (noj = no in Japanese) to have Lara give a pain-outburst from TR5. Perhaps he'll let you in on, how he did that.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 09 Sep 2010 14:09

Fluen wrote:By the way, I have just played Christoph's "Land of the Rising Sun". A good level, which also makes use of a sound, when Lara hits a wall. He uses one of the unused general sound slots (noj = no in Japanese) to have Lara give a pain-outburst from TR5. Perhaps he'll let you in on, how he did that.
I'll certainly look into it. The standard TRLE wads just feel a bit incomplete without that sound. Right now, though, I have a rather annoying and persistent issue regarding TRNG. I posted it in the TRNG/NGLE discussion thread, where it's gone three months without a reply. Anyway:
Skyld wrote:I'm trying to run Paolone's "Miscellaneous" project, in which he demonstrates things such as fragmented triggers, save crystals and moving statics. Initially, I was unable to compile the script because it was using an outdated GlobalTrigger, which took 6 arguments instead of 7. I fixed that, compiled the level, made sure everything (scripts, .tr4 files) was in the right place, but now the Tomb4 executable crashes when I select the level from the list. Given that I'm using Paolone's original script (adding an "IGNORE" field to each GlobalTrigger to make it build), I'm not really sure why it's not working.

I'm using version 1.2.2.1 of Tomb_NextGeneration.dll and version 1.2.221 of NG Center and Scripter.

Thanks in advance :)
I've since updated to version 1.2.2.2 of Tomb_NextGeneration.dll and version 1.02.0250 of NG Center, but the problem still persists.

If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful.

Brad
carrot on a stick lol

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 09 Sep 2010 16:43

Skyld wrote: I've since updated to version 1.2.2.2 of Tomb_NextGeneration.dll and version 1.02.0250 of NG Center, but the problem still persists.

If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful.

Brad
I'll see if the projects run for me

EDIT after adding the extra parameter to the global triggers and creating a mix1.TOM file in the wads folder, then building the level everything works ok for me.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 09 Sep 2010 17:50

I went and copied the files over from scratch, making sure that a mix1.TOM file was output in the process. I then modified the script files so that each GlobalTrigger had an extra "IGNORE" argument at the end (is this what I should be doing?). The level still crashes a third of the way into loading. :(
carrot on a stick lol

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 09 Sep 2010 18:15

Yes that's how I did it.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 04 Oct 2010 16:08

I've decided to start working on this again.

So, I did a full reinstall of TRLE and NG Center. Added mix1, built it, added the extra parameters to the script, and it still crashes when I try to run the level.

I noticed it gave me a Last_Crash log, so I'm including that here.

If anyone can help me finally solve this, I'll love them forever.

EDIT: I've tried enabling CRS in the script. It still crashes at the same place, but doesn't output a Last_Crash log.

Code: Select all

Version=1.2.2.2
CRS=Disabled
Last diagnostic mexage:OUT OF MEMORY
Last directX error: 
START_P1:1002AC47
END_P1:1006B09B
START_P2:1007B2C0
END_P2:1009D0F6
START_P3:100A58E7
END_P3:100D4172
START_P4:10006C77
END_P4:1000F338
............... QUICK DIAGNOSTIC LOG ...............
WARNING: missing Header NG in  "TITLE.TR4" level file
CRASH REASON: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
	The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
EXTRA_INFO: VIOLATION ON WRITE AT OFFSET 0x0
RECOVERABLE : YES
CRASH OFFSET: 0x4730E9
REGISTERS:
	EAX=40000200
	EBX=40000200
	ECX=10000080
	EDX=5F080DD8
	ESI=B2B002A
	EDI=0
	EBP=B2AFF88
	EIP=4730E9
	ESP=B2AFF14
DYNAMIC POINTER LIST:
------------------------------------------
00000017:Camera_Room
00000028:Camera_TargetRoom
0018FF14:BaseSalvaStack1
0B2AFF88:BaseSalvaStack2
07D9FF84:BaseSalvaStack3
        MEMORY USAGE
VetNemiciPunta           memory <EMPTY: never used>
StructEnemyArray         memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaFXBulbNemici         memory <EMPTY: never used>
VettorePerFogBulb        memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaDynamicLights        memory is full at 6.12 (Used 0xBC bytes)
ZonaSceneMemory          memory is full at 16.77 (Used 0x47494 bytes)
VetEditObjects           memory <EMPTY: never used>
Mex_savegame_Argd        memory is full at 3.13 (Used 0x8 bytes)
ZonaParticelle           memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaGameStruttureMesh    memory is full at 0.19 (Used 0x2F70 bytes)
ZonaPuntatoriGameStruttureMesh memory is full at 0.07 (Used 0x104 bytes)
VetMexNomiWav            memory is full at 99.66 (Used 0x3FC8 bytes)
ZonaFogBulbs             memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaDebris               memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaItemInStanza         memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaUsataPerFireSpark    memory is full at 84.50 (Used 0x2A4 bytes)
ZonaDiSmokeSpark         memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaRecordGunShell       memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaQuattroSample        memory <EMPTY: never used>
RecordSpriteSangue       memory <EMPTY: never used>
RecordSpriteEsplosione   memory <EMPTY: never used>
SpritePerFuoco           memory is full at 6.05 (Used 0x7C bytes)
ZonaTextureAnimate       memory <EMPTY: never used>
SaveGame_220_DatiMoveables memory <EMPTY: never used>
VettoreAttivaFlipMaps    memory <EMPTY: never used>
VettoreFlagFlipMaps      memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaFlyCameras           memory is full at 7.40 (Used 0x5EC bytes)
VetByteFlyCamera         memory <EMPTY: never used>
VetFlyCameraByteAltro    memory <EMPTY: never used>
VetItemCombinabili       memory is full at 24.78 (Used 0xE4 bytes)
Ptr_MemBufferLivello     memory <EMPTY: never used>

Lara:  x=0  y=0  z=0  StateId=0  NextId=0  AnimNow=0  Room=0

Stack=0xB2AFF14  pContesto=0xB2AFC2C  pInfoEccezione=0xB2AFBDC
PRIMARY_STACK:
ESP=0xB2AFF14
STACK_TRACE:
	0x4748A5
	0x49E67C
	0x49DF08
	0x49E61D
END_STACK_TRACE

SECONDARY_STACK:
ESP=0x18B0F4
STACK_TRACE:
<CRASH DURING STACK TRACE>
END_STACK_TRACE

OTHER_STACK:
ESP=0x7D9B164
STACK_TRACE:
<CRASH DURING STACK TRACE>
END_STACK_TRACE
carrot on a stick lol

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 08 Oct 2010 11:17

Ahem
Last diagnostic mexage:OUT OF MEMORY
Kind of self-explanatory.
Not sure which type of memory (system, video, tomb4 internal, or even sound card memory) but the level would appear to be too complex. Or you have something else running that is using resources.

Are you using the save and play option? I understand people have had problems with that. Convert the level, quit the editor and play the level. See if that works.
Make sure no other games, graphics editing, or media programs are running at the same time.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 08 Oct 2010 18:56

Hey. Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem still isn't resolved :(

I've just tried running it by opening Tomb4 manually instead of using the "Build & Play" button. No luck. Even when I make sure nothing else is running except Tomb4 and a few other unclosable programs, it still crashes, and still puts out a near-identical crash log. I even tried it in safe mode (where Tomb4 wouldn't run at all).

The computer I'm running it from has 4gb of RAM and several hundred gigabytes of free hard disk space, so I wouldn't have thought those would be the problem.
carrot on a stick lol

aktrekker

Post by aktrekker » 09 Oct 2010 09:02

Do other levels convert and play?
How complex is the level (number of rooms, size of TGA file, number of objects)?
When converting the level, what kind of numbers does it show for memory use? There should be several, and they should be obvious. Also how many texture pages? This should show as something like RTPages=n, OTPages=n, BTPages=n.