Brad's stupid questions thread

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Skyld

Re: Brad's stupid questions thread

Post by Skyld » 17 Jul 2009 19:37

justin wrote:AutoCAD is not the answer for that problem, sorry :(

You can't actually texture in AutoCAD, but the various textures are interpreted as Layers in autocad, and I can change the layers as long as I know which textures they reprisent.

AutoCAD is a heavy duty and expensive CAD software, so it's not available online without purchase :(
I use it primarily for creating objects (like Meta)
I've actually got a qualification in 3D AutoCAD as well as an "educational" copy of the program, but I didn't really think to use it for creating TR meshes. Would there be any legal issues regarding use of the educational version for such purposes?
justin wrote:FYI, I created a simple waterfall item to replicate dripping water, similar to my rain effect in Dark Skies 7. It's not perfect, but I think it should work :)
What would I need to do to get you to send it to me? :D
High Priestess wrote:It's The Great Wall isn't it - after she drops through the grate into the pool and makes the jump across said pool to open the door to the wall by throwing that very switch? I know someone mentioned that level but I am quite impressed to recognise a switch from all the games I have played and just thought I'd share that useless observation with everybody :lol:
Good catch :) Yeah, it's from The Great Wall. It was the only level that I knew for sure had a switch in it early on (I'd have used a TR1 level but couldn't find the disk) so it's the one I chose to screenshot.
carrot on a stick lol

justin

Post by justin » 17 Jul 2009 19:46

I'll send the waterfall later, what's your e-mail?

Also, I don't think there is any issue using any CAD program for anything, provided you own a legitimate license. I got my copy while studying drafting in Highschool (tech school).
Dark Skies loom...

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 18 Jul 2009 22:37

I just tested the waterfalls out. They're great - pretty much what I need, but I'll probably try and do a bit of tinkering to make them a bit smaller as they'll be dripping from quite a low ceiling. At any rate, thanks :D I'll be sure to credit you in the readme whenever it is this level gets finished.

Next question: I'm looking through EssGee's WadMerger tutorial here. Apparently in order to modify sounds and collision properly, I need certain versions of WadMerger; V 1.96.0.1002 and V 1.97.0.102 respectively. I've looked, and I can't find anywhere to get these specific versions. Can anyone provide me a link?
carrot on a stick lol

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 20 Jul 2009 09:45

'Tis a neat and obvious switch, Skyld.

The times I have been stuck in custom levels because a switch is camouflaged!!

I like big switches. I am 41 years-old and by default I am a crumbly and need things big and overly-personal :lol:

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 20 Jul 2009 09:47

P.S. I am still officially two months younger than Lara Croft and what's more, I have a better figure :D

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 21 Jul 2009 10:25

In TR5 the Rome levels there is a frame for that kind of switch. It's made to look like the groove for it. The switch itself is quite common througout TR4 and can be found in several wads, among others the wad from The Lost Library. It's a version with a long lever.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 22 Jul 2009 05:03

High Priestess wrote:'Tis a neat and obvious switch, Skyld.

The times I have been stuck in custom levels because a switch is camouflaged!!

I like big switches. I am 41 years-old and by default I am a crumbly and need things big and overly-personal :lol:
I hate hidden switches just as much as you do, especially when you're playing a huge, non-linear level and the switch is in a hidden corner...

That said, I accidentally did something similar in one of my levels, where Lara has a red key but the keyhole for it (which was red) looked green due to the lighting. This was the BTB07 competition where the red keys were programmed to go into red doors, and green keys into the green doors... I didn't notice I had done it until I read a review where someone mentioned it!
Fluen wrote:In TR5 the Rome levels there is a frame for that kind of switch. It's made to look like the groove for it. The switch itself is quite common througout TR4 and can be found in several wads, among others the wad from The Lost Library. It's a version with a long lever.
Really? I'll need to take a look! I didn't realise that the switch was in TR4; after I looked through all the editor-provided wads and couldn't find it I just assumed it they were all lever_switches and jump_switches :(

Thanks a million :)
carrot on a stick lol

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 22 Jul 2009 12:20

The groove from TR5 is in an animating slot - not a static slot. So if you rip the wad you'll have to go through all the objects with strange names and look at the objects to find the right one and import it into an animating slot.

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 22 Jul 2009 13:11

I've uploaded the switch and frame here. :)

http://www.laras-workshop.co.uk/switch-frame.zip
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 04 Aug 2009 14:55

You are legends amongst men :2thumbsup:

Right, possibly my stupidest question yet: is it possible to make lighting hit a static object as it would an animating object?
carrot on a stick lol

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 04 Aug 2009 15:31

High Priestess wrote:P.S. I am still officially two months younger than Lara Croft and what's more, I have a better figure :D
well lets us determine that and upload a pic
then i will made a poll
Loise versus Lara :D :lol:

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 05 Aug 2009 12:55

Skyld wrote:Right, possibly my stupidest question yet: is it possible to make lighting hit a static object as it would an animating object?
If I understand your question right you want the static object to be affected by active lights (flares and flames). Normally you can't, but I think you can import the object into a static slot in StrPix and tick it "animating". This will have some effects on how lights behave on it, but I never tried it and don't know more than this.

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 05 Aug 2009 13:14

Fluen wrote: but I think you can import the object into a static slot in StrPix and tick it "animating". This will have some effects on how lights behave on it, but I never tried it and don't know more than this.
Yes you can do it that way. :)
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

justin

Post by justin » 05 Aug 2009 14:05

Ah so that's what that option in strpix is for, i'll be doing that to all of my objects :)
Dark Skies loom...

Skyld

Post by Skyld » 16 Aug 2009 15:34

Thanks! :D

Next time I work on my level (which will probably be as soon as this aeroplane cold clears up), I'll try that.
carrot on a stick lol