TRNG discussion/bug thread 2

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

eTux
Mod
Mod

TRNG discussion/bug thread 2

Post by eTux » 05 Jan 2009 20:28

Since the original thread has gotten so big, I thought I'd use the update as pretext for starting a new one :) Previous thread can still be found here.
Raymond wrote:Great update news! :-o :2thumbsup:
Paolone has done a Full Installer which installs every necessary file, you should have for TRNG installation.
http://www.skribblerz.net/ngle/TRNGFullInstall.exe
Do this Full Installation first. Then download the Update 1.1.9.9 here and install it too (works automatically):
http://www.skribblerz.net/ngle/trng1199.exe
So you get an Automatic Installer Tool included in the NG_Center, which checks for, downloads, installs the latest Updates!
In the Update 1.1.9.9 you find also for instance a new condition trigger, which allows to trigger things by chance and you have possibilities to costumize the Lara cams via scripting and flipeffect triggers (Effect cams can be already costumized via flipeffects!).

QRS
Admin
Admin

Re: TRNG discussion/bug thread 2

Post by QRS » 07 Jan 2009 07:37

I'll start the new thread with a weird bug. Everytime I draw the weapons at the same square as I have a pickup trigger, the game crashes. It was not like this in the earlier versions. I just changed to the latest TRNG (installer etc.) Everything else works perfect.

Can anyone else try this please?
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 07 Jan 2009 10:30

No probs here, Anders. So it may be some specific!?

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 07 Jan 2009 11:59

May I (as a player) kindly ask if there is a way to enable widescreen in the TRNG? And how about the inventory/menu bug that lots of players (me included) have? Sometimes the game freezes for half a minute if you try to access the inventory, pause menu or the load/save menu.

I have a trepped exe that solves those problems but obviously I can't use that when I play an NG level (like TR Fading Light at the moment).

thank you
Nadine

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 07 Jan 2009 15:00

Hi Nadine,
I believe the widescreen option is already on Paolones list. Can you tell more about this inventory/menu bug? Is it connected to certain things? Never heard of this bug!
Fixing will take some time, because Paolone concentrates on fixing the Level Manager in the next time!

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 07 Jan 2009 15:20

Well, that inventory bug is rather rare as far as I know. Every time you press F5, F6, Esc or P to get into one of the game menues (with grey background) it takes up to 30-40 seconds until that menu actually shows :(
You can imagine how frustrating it is having to play like that :|

Here is an excerpt from the TREP guide:
Every old TR (except TR2, which had textured background) game draws inventory / load / save / paused screens background in a very dumb way — it simply captures current game screen, downsamples it to 640x480 resolution and then renders under inventory or whatever else. It looks OK on consoles and TVs (remember that TR4 engine is nothing more but direct PlayStation port), but on high-resolution PC monitors it looks so awful... Moreover, Core never fixed ridiculous bug with striped inventory background, even in TR5!..
But this patch will give you something else. Instead of screen-capturing, it pauses in-game renderer, but everything remains on screen. Benefits — of course, no more striped inventory bug, plus inventory background will be rendered in SAME resolution as current screen resolution! Also you'll get nice colour tint fade-in, like in PlayStation versions of the game.
It describes the Draco patch that rewrites the menu background rendering. With this patch enabled there are no more delays when opening one of those menues. I'm not sure what causes the delay and the description doesn't even mention the bug but it would be great to have the NG Engine do the same thing.

Link: http://trep.trlevel.de/en/draco.html
Search for "Clear menu backgrounds"

Nadine

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 07 Jan 2009 15:39

Ok, will bring it to Paolones attentation! :)

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 07 Jan 2009 16:31

It maybe be something else here, not TRNG related, as the crash keeps coming at the same square when I have disabled all the triggers too. Can you ask Paolone to take a look at the attatched text file about the crash?

Thanks!
Attachments
Last_Crash_31.txt
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 07 Jan 2009 17:01

Better send him the file to his mail address you find on his website!

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 07 Jan 2009 20:01

@Nadine
Titak told me, that the widescreen is automatically available with TRNG. Just choose the resolution you want to have and the screen should be perfectly widescreen!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 12 Jan 2009 12:13

One good thing and one bad. The good one first:

I had no idea you could move Lara by using a flipefect! Internal level jumping will look soo much better without the level loading now :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

The bad news... (I have mailed Paolone about this but I post it her to see if anyone else have had similar problems)

I can't get cutcams to work no matter what I try in the latest version of TRNG. I have tried the standard way with dummy cams, the title way with triggers to a different sequence etc. It refuses to jump to the correct sequence! In the standard example it jumps to cam 10 instead of nr 26 as it should do and just loops around and around. In the title setup, it refuses to jump at all. I have also try both ordinary cam trigger and flyby trigger (due to Paolones fixes of the flyby trigger)

And yes, I know how to set up both of these and have done it several times before, so please no "Have you forgot a dummy cam?" "Do you have 7 in the ocb for the cam?" etc. :angel: This is something weird and I suspect it might have happened during the many fixes of the flybys I read about in Paolones bug fix reports. Oh, I have tried it in different levels too, just to be sure it was not one buggy level.

Btw, the reason I found out about the moving of Lara was due to frustration about the flyby issue. I actually managed to fix it by an internal level jump with the new flip effect! :) Still want to know about the cams though.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 12 Jan 2009 12:28

I forgot another thing I need help with:

Can someone please show me a very simple basic setup for how to get the scrolling text to work? I need vertical scrolling.

I have tried looking into Paolones project files about this and it is too complicated for me to understand. At least right now. I have tried to copy all the script tags in all the triggers he uses in his sample project (+the text files) But I can't get any scrolling text to be shown on the screen when I play :(

I have the latest version and the installer has updated everything.

Have someone else tried this? If so, please give me a simple step to step guide of what I need to write in the script, what kind of trigger I need and the text files etc. Just to make a simple standard scrolling text to show! I can go on from there once I get something to work!!

Thanks!!

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 12 Jan 2009 18:34

Here some help with the scrolling text. There are as always more than one possibility to do it. I simply copied the first triggegroup from Paolone example:
; Exporting: TRIGGER(776:0) for FLIPEFFECT(66)
; <#> : Text. Set <&>color and (E)position for next Print String flipeffect
; <&> : Yellow
; (E) : Central line, central aligment
; $2000, 66, $308

; Exporting: TRIGGER(2:0) for FLIPEFFECT(81)
; <#> : Text. Set <&>size characters for next print string command
; <&> : Half Height
; $2000, 81, $2

; Exporting: TRIGGER(4:0) for FLIPEFFECT(201)
; <#> : Text. Vertical Scrolling of ExtraNG <&>string with (E) speed
; <&> : 4: @text_MultiSize.txt ; (E) : Normal Speed (30 fps)
; $2000, 201, $4
TriggerGroup= 5, $2000, 66, $308, $2000, 81, $2, $2000, 201, $4

The first two triggers set the formatting and the third is the one for scrolling the text. As you see, I also used the great possibilty to use an extra file (text_MultiSize.txt), which contains the printed text, which is very useful for long text passages, because it would be a bit more intricate to rightly format the text directly in the script. But you could also insert the text directly into the ExtraNG-section of the script of course. If you use the extra file, than you have to insert the filename with an @ in front of it in the ExtraNG-section. The extra file must be copied into the script folder!
Finally I only had to trigger the triggergroup in the level with this result:
Attachments
font1.jpg

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 12 Jan 2009 19:05

I have no expierences with camera jumps, so I simply tried to jump from cam 0 to cam 2 by inserting ocb 7 with timer value 2 in cam 0, but it didn´t jump (I have also cam 1 in the sequence!). What is a dummy cam?

Yes, you can do a lot of interesting things with teleporting Lara. For example you can teleport Lara unnoticeably to another room, which looks lthe same like the intial one with some changes. So you can flip a room seemingly several times!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 12 Jan 2009 19:19

Thanks for your help! Will see if this works now. I still find it a bit complicated. I'll be back if I need more info :blush:

About the cams:

A dummy cam is a cam in a sequence that is not needed but has to be there for the level jump to work. I'm not sure they are needed now since Paolone has fixed things in the flyby area.

Example: one sequence 15 cams. The first 8 are standard ones and then you need the rest starting in another room in the level.

You set the 7 in the OCB for the 8 cam to jump to the 9th cam (9 in the timers field). Sometimes that will not work, so you need to put a dummy cam in there..So..put 10 in the OCB for the 8th cam and the 9th cam will be a dummy and it will work! At least that's how it has always been before :|

For the best explanation of this and so I don't need to write too much (hehe) check out Uvavoo's excellent tutorial on the subject. It explains it in very simple terms and I learned it from there a long time ago hehe:

http://homepage.mac.com/uvavoo/Downloads/4-Flyby2.pdf

About the new way of moving Lara:

Yes it is fantastic!! I will have to put all my thoughts about this on hold though, as it opens up way too many ways of making new things...so I need to be finished with my adventure before I go there :lol: Or I will never be finished!!