Triggering off of Wraith2

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

justin

Triggering off of Wraith2

Post by justin » 11 Sep 2008 03:34

Hi everyone, is it possible to trigger anything off of a Wraith2 hitting water? I checked the city prj and realized there is no actual trigger anywhere :?

thanks for any help :)
Dark Skies loom...

justin

Post by justin » 11 Sep 2008 05:28

well i just researched and realized the effect in City is hardcoded for wraith2. Is it possible to trigger anything else off of wriath1 rather than 2?
Dark Skies loom...

Neso

Post by Neso » 11 Sep 2008 17:22

Normally the hardcoded thing from the City of the Dead works with Wraith2.

If you put OCB 2 for a Wraith2, he will trigger Flipmap n°2 when it dies.

In the original level from TR:TLR the flipmap is here to freeze water above the hole, but you should be able to make anything you want, until it's Flipmap n°2.
Image Image

justin

Post by justin » 11 Sep 2008 18:29

Yeah, the problem is that it needs Wraith 2, think it'd be possible to have a fire wraith in that slot?
Dark Skies loom...

Neso

Post by Neso » 11 Sep 2008 18:58

Since they act and die the same way, sounds okay to me.

There are two different slots just because of the "fight" between Ice and Fire Core Design made up in Tomb of Semerkhet.
Image Image

piega

Post by piega » 11 Sep 2008 19:56

The water will only freeze when the locust swarm is also released so not only the wraith will do that.

justin

Post by justin » 11 Sep 2008 20:48

Really? the examples I've seen made no mention of the Locust. Also, this trick only works with the Wraith2, correct? Wraith1 combined with Locust still will not do the trick? My idea is to have the fire wraith burn water with oil on the surface
Dark Skies loom...

Neso

Post by Neso » 12 Sep 2008 00:24

I'm rather surprised about the locust swarm. I understand the setting of this event thanks to Amber Light's Forgotten Realm level and they were no locust, still it works all the same.
Image Image

TC 14
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by TC 14 » 12 Sep 2008 10:20

Here's a link to Amber's excellent tutorial about Wraith objects :

http://www.skribblerz.com/tuts/wraiths.htm :2thumbsup:

justin

Post by justin » 12 Sep 2008 13:58

that's the tutorial I used, TC, and there was no mention of the Locust/Fish :anxious:
Dark Skies loom...

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 13 Sep 2008 11:24

There were no locusts in MagPlus' The Rescue and in one of the (many) levels a wraith2 froze water Lara had just dived into. I believe it was use of the same hardcoded flipmap.

But I'm not certain wraith1 will work. The hardcoded effects often seem to be very specific. Try and tell us your findings.

piega

Post by piega » 13 Sep 2008 16:49

Then I'm wrong. Sorry, I thought both were needed to flip the map as I recall. I guess the locust is just in the way sinds you had to shoot the pot in front of the swinging switch with the wraith in it.

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 19 Sep 2008 14:59

I tested it myself in City of the Dead - it had no effect. So I don't belive a wraith1 can flip a flipmap. And I'm pretty certain you'll have a red wraith with no fire (but with a blue halo) if you try to use it in the wraith2 slot as the fire sprites to surround the wraith most likely go with the wraith1 slot.

But honestly I don't think you need to rely on a hardcoded effect to do this.

Take a look at the project for City of the Dead. Lara breaks a switch (the blue ball, which contains the wraiths), jumps into the water in the nearby room while chased by the wraiths and is carried off by the stream (sinks).

If you make a similar setup you place a line of frozen triggers in a place where the stream takes Lara over. Place the triggers for the trigger_triggerers that unfreezes that line of triggers under the blue ball and I'm pretty sure it will work the same way as if you used the original hardcoded effect as the wraiths will still chase Lara into the water.

So Lara breaks the blue ball and triggers the trigger_triggerers and the fire wraiths, jumps into the water, the wraiths follow her and die, the stream carries Lara over the now active triggers and THEY trigger the flipmap and the flame_emitters you want to use to create the burning liquid.

justin

Post by justin » 19 Sep 2008 16:31

Fluen wrote:If you make a similar setup you place a line of frozen triggers in a place where the stream takes Lara over. Place the triggers for the trigger_triggerers that unfreezes that line of triggers under the blue ball and I'm pretty sure it will work the same way as if you used the original hardcoded effect as the wraiths will still chase Lara into the water.

So Lara breaks the blue ball and triggers the trigger_triggerers and the fire wraiths, jumps into the water, the wraiths follow her and die, the stream carries Lara over the now active triggers and THEY trigger the flipmap and the flame_emitters you want to use to create the burning liquid.
funny that's exactly what i did 2 days ago to work around the problem :lol:
Dark Skies loom...

Patricia

Post by Patricia » 19 Sep 2008 18:40

I did use that trick actually and it works just as mentioned above with a Flipmap 2. I put the fire wraith in the WRAITH2 slot and made it burn a room. And works smoothly :)
But note that it is not the wraith who activates the flipmap but... Lara! So do not put your trigger for your flipmap 2 all over the floor in the room that is on fire ;)
By the Rivers of Babylon - building the Summer Palace Ruins