Compatibility of Patched levels with MAC

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

eTux
Mod
Mod

Compatibility of Patched levels with MAC

Post by eTux » 16 Jan 2008 23:28

It's come to my attention lately that level designers don't always know what their limits in patching the levels are, if they want them to be MAC compatible.

I'm not a tech savvy person, but I believe I've developed a fairly good sense on how this works, so here's my take on it:

In the TRLE.net listing - a level is listed 'patched exe' if the author provides a custom exe along with his/her game's download. This doesn't automatically make it unplayable on Mac though.

The size of the exe has actually little to do with the playability - the most important factors are the features the builder has chosen.

The absolutely simplest way for me to put this is: If your level is unplayable with the regular EXE provided with the level editor - it will be unplayable for MAC players. Basically that means if the feature's that the author has chosen are absolutely necessary for a player to finish the level legitimately - then the game will NOT be playable on Mac.

Here are a few examples of what doesn't work on Mac:
*) Extended memory patch
*) Additional Static Slots added
*) Custom flipeffects used
*) Increased limits, like mesh vertex limits, camera-fly-by limits

If the features chosen are purely cosmetic, namely:
*) Extended drawing distance
*) Colour and appearance of loading/health/oxygen/sprint bars changed
*) Exploding enemies
*) Additions to statistics like (kills, hits)

Then the level essentially can be played without the custom exe - and thus on a MAC.

Hope that clears up the main issue - feel free to correct me or elaborate on the information.

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 16 Jan 2008 23:36

To elaborate a bit more on the Mac/patching issue:

Are patched levels entirely unplayable to Mac users?

No. Apparently the latest Macs use Intel processors, so potential players can use a dualboot system with a Windows environment and, therefore, be able to play patched game engine levels.

Now - I don't expect that Mac players will now be rushing out to buy new computers - but I decided to put this up here for clarity's sake all the same.

As always - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or elaborate on this.

Dick
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Compatibility of Patched levels with MAC

Post by Dick » 14 Mar 2008 11:22

As far as I understand it, Mac users do not start their levels with the exe program so what's in the patch is irrelevant. It's what's in the level that counts. So if there are custom flip-effects or extended mesh vertex limits etc that require a patch to handle them - then the level will not run on a Mac.

For the new generation of Intel Macs none of this should be an issue as the .exe can be used to run the game.

Ideally the author should state if their level is Mac compliant or not. And the simple existence of a patch is not a deciding factor (as eTux says).

Any Mac users care to clarify?

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 08 Oct 2009 09:04

Does that make levels made with TRNG Mk1 (with vertical triggers and other Conditional Triggers) unplayable on Mac ??
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 08 Oct 2009 11:31

One cannot play games with an extended EXE on a MAC.
One can only play the levels with the original EXE, so people with OX 9 or OS X are up the creek without a peddle (so to speak).

With the newest Mac you however can play, but then only if you also have Windows installed on the MAC.
Oops, I did it again... Image

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 08 Oct 2009 11:52

Gerty wrote:if you also have Windows installed on the MAC
That would be rather too kinky for my taste. I mean, how perverse can you get? :-o

Dustie

Post by Dustie » 24 Jul 2010 20:31

People do that actually, and with the newest Macs, it's probably the most convenient way to go :)