Ahmet doesn't revive - bug?

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Fluen

Ahmet doesn't revive - bug?

Post by Fluen » 05 Mar 2007 18:32

I have tried to set up the scales with ahmet according to Magplus’ tutorial. But there is clearly something wrong with ahmet and it affects the scales.

The problem is that after Lara has killed ahmet it doesn’t come back to life in its cage again. The scales appear to be reset, but the reward-door that must only be accessible when the correct amount of water is used opens and closes as it wants to.
I have experienced that door openening and closing while Lara was just filling her waterskins for a new round, and passing over the triggers for the door to ahmet’s cage turned out to be a fireproof way to open the reward-door – just to watch it close again (once it stayed open long enough for Lara to get into the corridor and pick up the reward and then she got locked up in there). But the door to ahmet's cage stayed shut all the time.

So far I have tried to:
- study Magplus’ tutorial over and over again and checking and re-checking that all triggers were correctly placed and all demanded objects (the waterskins, their different stages of full, Lara’s waterskin mesh, the scales and ahmet (and ahmet.mip) were present in the wad – no effect
- remove all flipmaps and their triggers – no effect
- assemble the wad all over again to use with the old project – no effect
- remove all other objects and puzzles in the project – no effect
- make a “clean wad” from the start-wad with only the basic objects and objects for the scales puzzle – no effect
- make that clean wad fetching the objects for the scales puzzle from some other wad than the first I used (I have three to choose from and tried them all) – no effect
- delete the rooms where I had put the scales and ahmet (after I had removed all objects and triggers) and rebuild them – no effect

But:
If I build a new project from scratch and place the scales puzzle it suddenly works - even with the original overloaded wad (stuffed with objects and saved upon itself numerous times).

------------

So does anyone know what might be wrong? A puzzle that should not be in the same level as the scales and ahmet? Other things that might affect this puzzle?
So far I have read no warnings or do-not’s about the scales. So if anyone has experience with this I would really like to hear.

My request is prompted by a desire to learn. It would be valuable for future use to figure out what might desturb this puzzle. If anyone knows a way to reset the scales without forcing the player to reload I would also like to hear about it.

Please note: I'm posting this question at several forums.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 05 Mar 2007 19:29

Hmm sounds really weird...I used the scales in the last level of my Egypt and beyond and I remember having tons of problems setting it up right. Pascal did help me in the end but it was mainly with the sounds. The only bug that I could not fix was the fact that if you pour the water and jump/hop back it messes up the puzzle. I guess it is hardcoded :( If you just stand still for like 0.5 sec after the water is poured, it all works 100%.

I have no idea what else that can casue the problem you mention I hope some pro have the answer :anxious: :( I can mail you my prj if you want to check it out but knowing how thorough you are with your level building, research etc, I doubt you will find anything new in :cry: PM me if you are interested though.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 05 Mar 2007 20:21

QRS wrote:I guess it is hardcoded :(
Very true. In hardcodedness, it is second only to the Senet game. I'm glad I came up with a different idea for my TR4 continuation instead of trying to negotiate an exact copy of this puzzle. ;)

piega

Post by piega » 05 Mar 2007 22:22

Yes, this Ahmet thing is very tricky. I also have a tutorial at TRsearch but not under my name. It's the original setup from the game. Unfortunately it has the same bug that the Ahmet will not return.

However in testing things out I used the Ahmet to create the flashing color in some events. It works fine but here is the catch. You cannot trigger ANYTHING else in between or it is goodbye Ahmet.

This might be a cause for the bug yet this puzzle setup is not working without faults :(

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 07 Mar 2007 18:27

I hadn't imagined that ahmet and the scales were that complicated. I've looked at the original game setup, but I didn't understand a thing of that. What's that tutorial of yours called, Piega? I'm curious now and would like to dig up as much as possible about ahmet.

Presently I work in my testlevel. It's a series of rooms that I build when I want to set things up before I use them in my planned levels. Therefore there are no limits to how much I'm ready to mess that level around to figure things out.

Any other ideas and suggestions are welcome as I'll happily try them out.

And QRS, thank you for your very generous offer. I'll download and play your level first and ask questions afterwards if you don't mind.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 08 Mar 2007 00:13

Fluen wrote:And QRS, thank you for your very generous offer. I'll download and play your level first and ask questions afterwards if you don't mind.
Np. Just send me a PM whenever you want and I will send you the prj and wad files etc. I have the scales in my last level (5th) so it will probably take about 5-9 hours for you to reach that spot if you want to play the game hehe :lol:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 09 Mar 2007 17:22

You mentioned that the sounds were part of your problem with the scales. I wonder if you used pcwadsfx when you added the sounds and if so if you still have the sounds list from that.

I know it's a long shot. But if so I'd like to have a copy of the list to see if I have forgotten some necessary sound.