Moderator: eTux

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 02 Oct 2007 16:36

No fmv support (solved) : look here

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthr ... 74&page=28

from fourth post on (#544)

edit : I was looking for an (old) trep topic, but did not find a suitable one.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

~Trinity~

Re: Things that 'do not work' in the TRLE

Post by ~Trinity~ » 16 Jan 2009 23:29

I heard somewhere that the "body bag" was to be able to drag an enemy after they died. But I doubt that's it, since the enemies disappear after they die.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 23 Jan 2009 02:59

Anyone know the function of these sub-menus?
1. As we know, the Edit Object menu allows you to set the collision height of an object in one click increments, but if you click on the window with Floor Type displayed you get a drop down menu showing a list of many other 'types'. I've tried most of them and can't find any function that is different from the Floor Type setting. Any other known uses??
editObjMenu.jpg
2. Again as we already know, you place a Sound Effects loop in a map, and it is heard within a certain range of the icon placement. If you click on the OCB of the icon you get a menu with buttons 1-5. Do these serve any function? Are they like the Sink OCBs in that they increase the range of the Sound Effect?
sfxOCB.jpg
sfxOCB.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
@ Trinity
I've read two 'rumoured' uses of the Bodybag Trigger. One is that it was used in Cutscenes to trigger Speech Heads, the other was that it was used to add the Backpack to Young Lara in Angkor Wat level. I've tried these out, as in-game triggers without success. Anyone got any more info on this? :?

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 23 Jan 2009 10:45

Anyone got any more info on this?
I think Bojrkraider used that to change or modify Lara's outfit in this level:
http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1212

It didn't work for me in the game but as far as I know some players had seen Lara change her outfit during that level. It is also mentioned in the skribblerz report.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 23 Jan 2009 11:39

Thanks Nadine. Perhaps Simen will cast a bit more light on this then....... :think:

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 23 Jan 2009 12:08

Something else that's got me a bit puzzled.....

I've been replaying TR4 Last Revelation today with Volumetric FX enabled in the Setup menu. I never had this activated when I played it the first time, so it was interesting to see the use of fog in the levels. What got me confused though is that several levels have distance fog appearing in them and others have fog bulb effects. With the editor, I was under the impression that we must disable VolFX when using Distance Fog and enable it when using Fog Bulbs, yet in this original game it seems to be able to switch between the two methods without any special Script instructions and with VolFX enabled in the setup. :?

ggctuk

Post by ggctuk » 22 Feb 2009 19:51

TRLE comes shipped with what appears to be a pre-final engine - some things were tweaked for the final version of the engine.
"Which is the real me...?"

sapper

Post by sapper » 23 Feb 2009 03:44

EssGee wrote: the other was that it was used to add the Backpack to Young Lara in Angkor Wat level.
I think this was done by a meshswap animcommand in the cutscene animation stored in cutseq.pak. The backpack chest mesh is stored in the pistol animation slot.

As for the fogbulbs and fog in different levels TRNG can switch vol FX on and off in game so Paolone must have worked out how they did it for TRLR and added the code.

EDIT:
Horus wrote: I think Bojrkraider used that to change or modify Lara's outfit in this level:
http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1212
It didn't work for me in the game but as far as I know some players had seen Lara change her outfit during that level. It is also mentioned in the skribblerz report.
This made me want to go back and play this level, I had given up since I couldn't do the assault course in time. Anyway I used fexinspectSK to create a pushable to trigger the heavy that normally a flyby triggers after the assault course and continued playing. The change clothes didn't happen. To make it happen you have to insert a "use meshswap 3" animcommand in anim 436. I used wadmerger and reconverted the tom.

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 09 Sep 2009 10:44

Pardon my ignorance, as this is may seem a silly question...has anyone tried tracking down people who worked professionally on the TRLE engine to find out more about it? I know it's disbanded now, but usually people in the computer trade have their own websites and email address and are friendly enough, maybe they can shed light on some features! There is a staff list in the back of the manual, so it wouldn't be hard to find someone...

:) Or is it too innocent assuming they would help...?
The Cartoon World Returns March MMX

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 09 Sep 2009 13:57

Hmm sounds like a good idea!
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 09 Sep 2009 14:12

QRS wrote:Hmm sounds like a good idea!
:wink: It's really hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic through reading. You really think it's a good idea? I'm honestly surprised nobody thought of it before...did they not?
The Cartoon World Returns March MMX

Dustie

Post by Dustie » 05 Jan 2010 22:53

Howaito wrote:
QRS wrote:Hmm sounds like a good idea!
:wink: It's really hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic through reading. You really think it's a good idea? I'm honestly surprised nobody thought of it before...did they not?
I would think it could be pretty difficult to get in touch with people who worked on the game. I know we have the names, but even if we get in touch with programmers that worked on classic Tomb Raiders, what would you want to know?... I think they worked for the studio and thus don't really have any information 'at homes' and certainly wouldn't be able to remember much to give specific tips regarding the engine's design. After Core was closed, who knows where was everything taken too (the equipment and data with it). Perhaps some archives at Eidos?...

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 06 Jan 2010 03:32

The last I heard maniac44 was over on the Eidos forums and I think George got to talk to him a year or so ago....maybe longer..
maniac was one of three (I think) who put the trle info together.
From what I remember, he said it was a rushed job - they barely had time to grasp the ins and outs and then they were writing the instructions.
He also worked on one of the games but I don't remember in what capacity.

He may be long gone from the Eidos forums but George *may* have better info, perhaps his email.
When I left Eidos George was still there and I think maniac still popped in from time to time but that's a long time ago.

He also makes a great 'Angel Cheesecake'.
I still have the recipe.
:D

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 15 Jan 2010 17:53

Well, each of the level designers were mentioned in the game-titles. I would suppose they were the ones who actually worked with the editor-program. Maybe we should search for them?

If they just made the layout for the game and let others do the work with the editor, they may be able to tell us, who those workers were.

Dustie

Post by Dustie » 13 Jul 2010 17:41

I guess that is possible.

How can we find them on the Internet by their real names, though? Facebook? Many of them might have quit the gaming industry altogether...

But if anyone gets ahold of them, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask them about this and that.