Things that 'do not work' in the TRLE

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

QRS
Admin
Admin

Things that 'do not work' in the TRLE

Post by QRS » 18 Oct 2006 00:01

Here is a list of commands that according to the manual does not work or are taken out of the editor etc. I have divided it into two categories; One that actually works and one that (so far) does not work. The purpose of me posting this, is that some of you pros out there might know and understand some of those commands! If you got an explanation (or any other info or theory) to any of this in the list, feel free to post here and I will update it! *Makes it sticky for now*

Things that work (but in the manual states as non working or not in use):

The 'combat trigger': Trigger things when Lara draws her guns!

The 'crack mode' button: Shows the cracks in your level (see separate tutorial by Elvis and Scott about this.)

The 'NL' button: Eliminates the lensflare from that room. -Credits to Jesse for that info!

Not working things (at least not yet!)

Triggers:

The 'body bag' trigger: Probably used to trigger the "actor_head_n" and "lara_head_n" objects in cutscenes which are responsible for the moving lips in TR4 - Not 100% confirmed, but thanks for the theory, Elvis!

The 'cut scene' trigger

Room edit buttons:

The 'D' button

The 'Large, small, outside room' etc.: Probably used to afect the sound in a room - Credits to Uvavoo for this.

The texture menu:

Load PXC

Save PXC

Load depth cue

Save depth cue

Fix textures

Any help in solving these mysteries are appreciated. Also feel free to add new things If I have missed them :D
!
Last edited by QRS on 18 Oct 2006 12:53, edited 5 times in total.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 18 Oct 2006 03:13

The NL button should eliminate the lens flare from that room.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 18 Oct 2006 03:20

Thanks for the info, Jesse! List updated :2thumbsup:

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 18 Oct 2006 11:31

From what I've heard the BodyBag trigger triggers the "actor_head_n" and "lara_head_n" objects in cutscenes which are responsible for the moving lips in TR4 - but I've never seen this in action in a custom level, so don't know if it's true :)

uvavoo

Post by uvavoo » 18 Oct 2006 11:39

The NL button does actually work, should be moved to the 'Things that work' section. (Eliminates GLOBAL lens flare, not sure about the lensflare nullmesh).

Also the 'large room' 'small room' etc do not work. (I think this was supposed to affect the sound, ie in a large room, a bit of echo).

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 18 Oct 2006 12:54

List updated. Thanks, guys!

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 09 Dec 2006 16:59

About the load/save PCX commands. Notice there is an edgeptr.pcx file in the root folder. Loading this in the editor reveals that the file contains the arrows that appear when you raise slopes or change wall lines, and they appear in the texture box on the right. Perhaps they were using these commands to edit the arrows used by the editor? :idea: Whatever the case you can't do anything to edit the .pcx files in the editor, so that would go under the "doesn't work" category.

GeckoKid
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by GeckoKid » 18 Dec 2006 14:26

for the large small rooms, uvavoo is right, but it's only working on the playstation version of the game, you can see it was used extensively in TR3.

Kurtis

Post by Kurtis » 16 Mar 2007 19:51

The 'bodybag' trigger, from what I've heard from numerous sources, is how Lara got her backpack in Angkor Wat. :D

Considering the above, I've conluded that this trigger probably 'changes' the Lara object (i.e, the costume) but alas, it's 'no longer used.' :|

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 16 Mar 2007 20:08

Actually, I'm fairly certain that young Lara got her backpack via a meshswap. At least that's how I'd get this done if I wanted for something similar to happen in-game.

TimJ

Post by TimJ » 16 Mar 2007 20:24

Then you may rip the Angorwat wad from tr4 to see. :) You can even try to rip the PRJ to see if there is really a bodybag trigger !
Image :balloon:

Kurtis

Post by Kurtis » 17 Mar 2007 08:11

Yep, I've ripped the Angkor Wat Level and searched for the bodybag trigger... and all I found was the cutscene trigger. I can only assume that the bodybag OR meshswap was triggered from WITHIN the cutscene.

As for the theory of the bodybag trigger triggering the moving mouths, could you ellaborate? :? I'm not sure QUITE what you mean...

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 17 Mar 2007 08:28

Well, first of all, as said it's a theory but since there seems to be nothing else related to the moving lips in the cutscenes, I guess there's a fairly good shot that they're actually related to that :D

As for the moving mouths: If you remember - then in TR4 (and TRC) instead of Lara or anyone else involved in a dialogue shaking their heads when talking - they had their lips textures animating.

This was achieved via LARA_HEAD_1(2,3,4) and ACTOR_HEAD_1(2,3,4) objects. They are kind of the same like Lara's animation and meshswaps - they contain the modified mesh and a bunch of dummy meshes. You can find these objects in any TR4 level with a cutscene that involves some conversation, as far as I know. The mechanism still is pretty much a mystery - at least I have not investigated it any closer, but the theory is that the bodybag trigger was used during cutscenes to activate these talking heads.

I hope that's clear now :)

Kurtis

Post by Kurtis » 17 Mar 2007 09:05

Ah, thanks. :D Yes I did notice the Lara_speechhead things. :)

Larson

Post by Larson » 06 Aug 2007 22:36

I was wondering about the bodybag-trigger a while ago, when I was examining the trigger-handling in tr4: In the code, it does just nothing - the bodybag trigger is ignored (this applies to the trle-version of the tomb4.exe, and I can point out the code location if you're in doubt want to check that for yourselves).

It may be possible that this trigger had still some use in the retail (the non-trle version of tomb4) version, or is a relict from even older version - is there an actual level file where the trigger is used ?