Beginners Improved Tut1 project & level

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

magpie272

Re: Beginners Improved Tut1 project & level

Post by magpie272 » 28 Jun 2009 16:21

Hi Sad Git,

If you are looking for inspiration for making a beginner's level might i recommend my level "Curse of the Scarab". It is a debut beginner's level that is based on the trle tut1 tutorial. Basically, i built the tutorial and then added two more levels. I don't pretend that it is a masterpiece like something bedazzled could produce (he's really good), however it does show you all the basics.

Curse of the Scarab is an example of what a beginner can build by just using the tut1 wad alone. Check it out if you are looking for ideas.

Also for everybody else reading this, i am currently working on a revised and enhanced version of "Curse of the Scarab". Basically it is the same three levels BUT i am planning some major changes such as:
reworking the lighting, introducing some new baddies, adding some new twisted traps, adding some new textures and objects, adding harder secrets, reducing the pickups drastically, making the gameplay harder and more complex and adding many more rooms.

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 28 Jun 2009 16:34

magpie272 wrote:Hi Sad Git,

I don't pretend that it is a masterpiece like something bedazzled could produce (he's really good
Not going by many of the reviews for my last and what looks like being my final level "Return to the Catacombs) I'm not good at all.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 29 Jun 2009 18:23

bedazzled wrote: Not going by many of the reviews for my last and what looks like being my final level "Return to the Catacombs) I'm not good at all.
Why do you think that? You didn't give me 10 for Skeleton's last will. I didn't die because of it. :kiss2: It was his last will after all ... :computer: And what about that famous switch, I don't get it, where's the catch? :D
"You learn something every day."

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 29 Jun 2009 20:12

Players dont seem to have liked it very much, so i'm not going to waste my time building any more levels. Players seem to want levels which last for hours, have all the latest technical features and are so difficult only hard core raiders can play them. And that type of level I can't and don't want to build.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 29 Jun 2009 21:00

I liked the architecture, great work.

Depends to whom or why you build. All I can tell is that is better to have low score because then you don't have to defend it. You can't defend it anyway. Also levels which will please only your ego, will destroy you in the end.

So - build reality or nice dream or something frustrating that they will let you go after level is published. You had to have a good reason, if not, it's only bad time.

I will not learn most of new features neither become very good player. Sooner or later we will have new editor and new start. This will never end and you know it.

Got a life? Congratulations. :D

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 29 Jun 2009 22:07

Listen to Oxy, Peter!

And if you want to have a glance at levels that players REALLY "did not like all that much"... check out this link and keep paging till you find yours... hopefully with each further page you will realize a bit more that you should stop feeling disheartened and recognize the scores and comments for what they acknowledge and not only for what they seem to be criticising....

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 01 Jul 2009 10:04

MichaelP wrote:Listen to Oxy, Peter!
That's really a good one, Michael. I was laughing all day.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 01 Jul 2009 10:36

You should not build for the players or for the reviewers in the first place, Peter. Do it because you enjoy building a level.

I have gotten a lot of bad words for my own levels mostly because they are confusing, hard and long. Granted, sometimes these comments hurts as I have planned these levels well and they were intended to be like that, put a lot of work into them etc.. But I have also gotten tons of praise and that fuels me.

So try to focus on that instead.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

justin

Post by justin » 01 Jul 2009 16:14

QRS wrote:You should not build for the players or for the reviewers in the first place, Peter. Do it because you enjoy building a level.

I have gotten a lot of bad words for my own levels mostly because they are confusing, hard and long. Granted, sometimes these comments hurts as I have planned these levels well and they were intended to be like that, put a lot of work into them etc.. But I have also gotten tons of praise and that fuels me.

So try to focus on that instead.
Yeah that'll start ya down the wrong path for sure. I have to remind myself that I'm building for me, or else i'd have to stop building considering my low % of good reviews :lol:
Dark Skies loom...

magpie272

Post by magpie272 » 05 Jul 2009 23:48

Dear Bedazzled,

I feel bad that i sparked off this whole thread about your masterpiece levels, so if i may i would like to close this thread with the following comments.

1. I have seen some of the tutorials you have posted on some of the other tr builder web sites and they are great! You should be commended for the detailed instructions you provided. I found them to be invaluable.

2. You can never please everyone with your tr levels. You are always going to be people out there who can only feel better about themselves when they put others down. A case in point, a certain reviewer savagely criticized my level "Curse of the Scarab" and gave me the lowest marks of all my reviewers. This piqued my curiosity so i researched him. It turns out he submitted a level a few days before me. His level was much more sophisticated than my simple level but he only got an average rating of 3.8 or something while i got 5.77. Basically, he had sour grapes so he took it out on me.

3. I have seen some of your levels and i liked what i saw and judging from the previous comments a lot of other people feel the same way.

4. Some people like really hard levels, some want levels filled with newly created textures and objects and others want lighting effects worthy of a steven spielberg film. GIVE ME A BREAK! I may only be a newbie but i think that at the end of the day the only thing that really counts is this: IS YOUR LEVEL FUN TO PLAY?
Thats the whole reason i got into this in the first place.

Bedazzled best of luck in your future endeavours.